Joining Whole 30 August 1

RochelleKK

Morning of day 2 (day 33 for me) and I've had chicken, a fried egg and handfuls of garlicky mushrooms and roasted onions with Mayo.

I'm tired today with a headache but I haven't had an eye issues for a while now and I'm noticeably losing weight every morning

A bit of background...it's my 7th whole30 (on the back of my 6th...July) but last month was incredibly difficult and the wheat issues I've had over the last year (itchy eyes within hours) exploded and even trace wheat on my hands from making food for my son and nephews led to one major weeklong episode and a smaller episode later on that month. I'm being referred to allergy doctors and I'm shattered but hoping August will be marvellous!

Wheat is now banned from my house.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was compliant yesterday, but not very prepared.  Saturdays are my errand days, and I should have had a good M1, and taken some snacks. After getting my hair done, and on way to store, I realized there were no fast food options for me, so I stopped at 7-11 and got fruit and almonds.  Had a good M3 though with fajita meat, grilled vegies, and guac My M1 today was last night leftovers with eggs folded in.  Will have more for tomorrow M1. I definitely need prep help. :angry:

I've found it's mental prep rather than meal prep aemd. Except roasting whole chickens I don't preprep much food, and planning what I'll eat tomorrow ahead of time makes me lose the will to live, but having strategies to cope with circumstances such as a long shopping trip or other rushed day will come ;)

• Moderators

Hi aemd - Here's a post that my sister made about food prepping... her and I both do it basically the exact same in our separate houses, based on our individual contexts (she's got a partner, I'm only cooking for one).

The more you prep the better you get at it.... seriously... it becomes second nature and you will find yourself bopping around the kitchen on Sunday morning and in addition to having made breakfast, you'll be halfway done your food prep for the week!

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27952-spending-way-too-much-time-with-food-prepcooking/?p=295978

I started on 1st August and despite having a really busy weekend I've managed to stay compliant without too much angst! I first did the Whole 30 in November 2012 so I know I can do it, but there have been times today when the Coke Zero cravings were ridiculously strong (even though I actually cut it out weeks ago...) I'm learning to love black coffee instead.

My favourite breakfast at the moment is a serving of Kalua Pig crisped up a bit in a frying pan,topped with a dollop of guacamole (or sunshine sauce) and served with a sliced pepper in a bowl of spinach leaves. Sometimes I sub eggs for the pork, and top with some Roasted Red Pepper Sauce from the Whole 30 book, or at the weekends when I have more time I'll roast sweet potato too. All are pretty quick and easy to make, and really satisfying. 

I started on the 1st.  Not loving black coffee!  I usually use 1/2 and 1/2 and sugar.  I've decided I'm drinking it black or what I really liked is the cream and sugar.  Going good so far.  It's pretty labor intensive though.  Our family of four is on it and my daughter and son-in-law are too and so they came down for the weekend so I could cook for them the first two days. lol

I'm having a major craving for a baked potato! I don't eat many potatoes as when I did my first whole30 they weren't allowed but I'm not sure it'll be as nice without butter....hmmmm...wondering whether to go to the shop or not...

Have it with ghee.  Delicious!

Day 2. M1, 3 fried eggs in coconut oil with Apple, ginger and cinnamon and 1/3 cup coconut milk. M2, 2 chicken thighs, banana and 1/2 a tomato w/ salt. M3, grilled pork chop, potato and salad no dressing. Green tea and water for drinks.

Don't have much energy today, think it's the humidity then the W30.

Have a great day 3, everyone.

• Moderators

Hi Kelly;

I would suspect that your lack of energy would be from not eating enough. Your meal 1 and 2 have next to no veggies and M2 and 3 have no added fat.

You might do better with energy if you're eating to the template of 1-2 palms (your own width, length and thickness) of protein (or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand without dropping), 1-3 cups of vegetables (not including fruit and salad greens need to be more like a mixing bowl full) and 1-2 thumbs of fat or a half avocado or an open palmful of olives or a closed fist of nuts.

Day 3. Brunch, large Spinach salad w/ olives, onions, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and chicken with vinegar. Snack, banana. M3, cod w/ lime, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika, zuchinni sticks w/ salt, pepper and curry and fried ( coconut oil) apples w/ cinnamon and ginger.

M3 was funny, my husband late getting home warmed his meal and I sat with him while he ate. He proclaimed this is how supper is suppose to be made!! I not understanding said," waiting for you"? He said, HEALTHY!! I like this, I just feel good. I honestly never had that much enthusiasm about a meal I cooked before, and we've been married 21 years.

Very happy with the day. : )

Organizing for a 4 day camping trip. Little worried because a friend will be there that isn't very supportive of my W30 choice.

Everyone have a great day 4. :)

Horrid day...woke up with knees so swollen I could barely stand and fingers and ankles so stiff I couldn't bend them.

Bloody arthritis...and stupid baked white potato cravings yesterday ;(

To cheer me up I cooked my son's favourite fish (salmon) with king prawns and mounds of ridiculously expensive samphire for dinner...tossed in home made ghee. Yummy ;)

I'll be avoiding white potatoes for a bit then trying them without the skin to see how I get on. I'm mentally getting used to the idea of never being able to eat wheat again but potatoes too? I'm stumpted as to how I'll even have a social life again if the list gets any longer!

Day 4. Very happy with today's results able to go through farm chores with energy and a great mood. M1, 4 fried eggs with a small Apple with cinnamon and ginger. Coconut milk and black tea. M2, not yet up to par. 2 hard boiled eggs. M3, hamburger stir fry w/ broccoli, carrots, kale, spinach and sprouts. 1/2 a tomato. Black tea and water for beverages.

My goal to add more veggies and organize for a successful w30 camping trip,

Have an awesome day 5 everyone.

Day 5 and my joints are better do that is a relief ;)

I feel really down today but I'm unsure whether that's just because life is pretty pants just now so I'll watch myself over the next few days. I was so down an hour ago I was in tears and my son resorted to funny cat videos on YouTube to cheer me up. I'm just so very lonely & I'm not sure what can be done...my diet certainly can't help so it's carry on I guess.

Big park play day today I am involved in organising where there will no doubt be loads of temptation (inc a stall by our local sweetie shop) but I'm sure I'll be ok...my 7 year old will not be compliant but he's had a good breakfast and about the have a decent lunch so all things considered today should be ok!

Day 5 and my joints are better do that is a relief ;)

I feel really down today but I'm unsure whether that's just because life is pretty pants just now so I'll watch myself over the next few days. I was so down an hour ago I was in tears and my son resorted to funny cat videos on YouTube to cheer me up. I'm just so very lonely & I'm not sure what can be done...my diet certainly can't help so it's carry on I guess.

So sorry to hear you're feeling so down... I'm a single mum of two boys myself and I know how lonely & isolating it can be at times... More so when the boys are at their dads.... Try to enjoy your play day today - I know it's not the same as a social life, but you've a huge amount of support here when you need it.

Thinking of you and hoping things improve for you soon x

Thanks jmcbn ;)

I had fun this afternoon and my family came so it as a nice day. It's not friends or family my life is missing it's a partner and after 5 years alone and basically unwanted i cannot even stand the hope I may find someone anymore...it's just all too painful.

So I have good days but in the whole I struggle to get through it all.

I'm not even depressed, that I could solve, I'm just souldestroyingly lonely and can't see an answer

* no one mention internet dating...that nearly sent me over the edge last time it il was so awful!*

• Moderators

Oh Lord, internet dating!  What an awful invention!

BritishGal, I too am single... going on five years now... no kids to speak of... just me and the cat.  The best thing that you can do for yourself is to treat yourself the way you deserve to be treated, which is, in part, nourishing your body! 

You're not unwanted tho, please stop saying that to yourself.  I know it's easy to say as a stranger on the internet and hard to hear and feel but you are certainly wanted!

The other thing I'm going to say, and please take it with the love it's sent with... IF you are depressed, it's not something you're expected to solve on your own. Being depressed is not anything to be ashamed of and it may be something that can be helped with meds or counselling.  I know you say you're not depressed and I will take that for the truth, but if you feel that things are getting out of hand, there is help out there and as someone who personally understands where you are (believe me, I GET it!) , I invite you to send me a private message if you want to talk, need help... basically anything, okay?

Thanks jmcbn ;)

I had fun this afternoon and my family came so it as a nice day. It's not friends or family my life is missing it's a partner and after 5 years alone and basically unwanted i cannot even stand the hope I may find someone anymore...it's just all too painful.

So I have good days but in the whole I struggle to get through it all.

I'm not even depressed, that I could solve, I'm just souldestroyingly lonely and can't see an answer

* no one mention internet dating...that nearly sent me over the edge last time it il was so awful!*

Pfft! Internet dating? You could be a hairy trucker named Fred for all I know, and after more than 3yrs on my own we could be the perfect match!!  :lol:

Honestly though, I get the whole souldestroyingly lonely thing, and I'm awkward around new people and am seriously lacking a social life so my situation isn't about to change any time soon - but when I'm sat on the sofa on a Saturday night with my two main men debating which was the best Muppet Movie ever made I'm actually okay with it. And I don't have to nag anyone to take the rubbish out, or justify buying that new nailpolish in a *slightly* different shade than the one I bought last week... And even when I'm home alone, I know I have a whole host of virtual friends here who 'get me'.

I know you're going through a tough time, but things are never really quite as bad as they seem - and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?  ;) 

PS. The jury's still out on the Muppet Movies!

;) my brother in law gave me a row a few days ago for telling him I was basically on the shelf...he was quite upset but that's how I feel! All I ever wanted was a family and at 40 I'm fighting to accept that if is getting a bit late for the husband and lots of kids I always wanted.

I'm a psychologist by training (and ex Samaritan) and have a great relationship with my long suffering gp...we've talked about all this recently. I could opt for antidepressants, but they aren't going to change my circumstances, and I'm lucky I have people to talk to if I need to. I'm just lonely and sometimes totally overwhelmed.

And I too have a cat Sugercube...she helps too...and thank you x

• Moderators

I just love that real conversations happen here and people are so free and comfortable to say their truths!  It's great!  

My sincere advice to anyone who's having a struggle with where they think they're 'supposed' to be in life... stay off social media!  We all have a journey and path to go down and there is nothing worse than comparing ourselves to the people we see on social media giving us filtered snapshots of their fake lives!

I'd much rather have real conversations with people about real things (like meds and muppets) than view incomplete glimpses of someone's life that is not even close to reality... 

Just my two cents.

Also, yes, Christmas Carol!

I agree with the comparison issues. I don't compare myself with others (I'm Austistic...aspergers...so a lot of the time I don't understand others anyways) but I compare my life with what i thought my life would be...the life I imagined and hoped for to get me through a horrid childhood and adolescence.

It's hard.

The advantage of a ridiculous IQ, an appetite for books & words that cannot be contained and an ability to live inside my own mind is creating a whole world that does not exist when I open my eyes...the real world is never going to live up to that and I think deep down I've known that since I was a very small child and even then it made me sad.

Archived