Starting Over. =/

SicEmxxAMY

I am just really frustrated. I'm on Day 10 of my first Whole30, and I went to McAlister's and just had a total lapse in judgment. I wasn't thinking. I saw "Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar" as a dressing and jumped on it, assuming that's exactly what it would be. I realized later that it was "Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinaigrette," and I had just gone ahead and used it and didn't think twice. It wasn't until I tasted it that I realized it was far too sweet to just be oil and vinegar, but I'd already put it on my salad so I just ate it and hoped for the best.

Sure enough, I came home to check and there was added sugar (unsurprisingly). I know that I need to start over, but I'm so frustrated with myself. I know that I can't call it Day 1 again until tomorrow, but that makes it so easy for me to go off-plan today and I don't want to. I'm just upset and wish that I could still call this Day 10.

When you've had to start over, how did you last on the day you messed up? Because honestly, I'm ready to go and make a peanut butter sandwich right now. x.x

• Administrators

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are still on Whole30 no matter what your date counter says.  If it helps, declare that you are doing a Whole40 and that you are on Day 10 of it. 

Also, check the article linked below about starting over.........

Thank you!

I looked at the Do I Have To Start Over? article before I started, but when I saw it, I was doing it to convince myself that no matter what, I would have to start over. It was good to look over that with fresh eyes and see that maybe this is a situation where I wouldn't need to. I'm going to continue to call this Day 10 and go on as normal, and I'm going to very strongly consider making it Whole40. Thanks again. =)

There are other posts that state that "accidental sugar doesn't call for a restart" from other moderators. 

This ^ was our former guidance before the article that ladyshanny referenced was published a year ago. Since then, we direct folks to that article and let them decide next steps for themselves.

To me, this is a perfect opportunity to decide to have a different relationship with food. In the past, if I broke a diet, I would binge eat, with the idea that I would start fresh--tomorrow, Monday, next Sunday, this New year's...you get the idea.

Now, i want to think about the Whole 30 as a way to reframe, readjust and learn new ways to relate to food. On day two, I accidentally had coconut milk that contained dextrose in my morning coffee; I had been at the new grocery two days earlier for hours reading labels, identifying new foods (coconut aminos, etc) all while dealing with my bad gut. The coconut milk just got by me. I know two days isn't the same as ten, but my past behavior would have been to just throw up my hands and gorge on junk. For once, I simply brushed off the mistake, ate compliant food the rest of the day, and started on day one of my Whole 30 the next day. For me, that was a real victory. I am on the new Day 25, and ready to go the distance.

• Administrators

For once, I simply brushed off the mistake, ate compliant food the rest of the day, and started on day one of my Whole 30 the next day. For me, that was a real victory. I am on the new Day 25, and ready to go the distance.

I love this, I'm so, SO happy for you!

There are other posts that state that "accidental sugar doesn't call for a restart" from other moderators. So I would not restart but keep going. I am not an expert so you do what feels right to you. Good Luck!

I just want to point out what is generally meant by "accidental" ingestion. "Accidental" means you did your due diligence in seeking out the ingredients and asking the right questions and were given wrong or incomplete information. Like the scenario in the article linked above:

So maybe you find yourself at Mom’s house for dinner on Day 28 asking, “Hey Mom, any sugar in this salad dressing?” And your mom says no, all clear, and you have a lovely family dinner. And as you’re cleaning up, Mom says, “There wasn’t sugar, but there was honey—that’s not the same though, honey is natural.”

In the above scenario, you asked and made the effort to verify what you were eating. It's not your fault that someone pulled a bait and switch. Assuming that a product is okay without verifying it is another set of circumstances.

To me, this is a perfect opportunity to decide to have a different relationship with food. In the past, if I broke a diet, I would binge eat, with the idea that I would start fresh--tomorrow, Monday, next Sunday, this New year's...you get the idea.

This is my typical behavior, as well. That was part of why I was so upset whenever I made the initial post and decided then to continue to call it Day 10 and make a decision on another day. Today is not the day for me to make a decision because I'm still in a weird place based on that mistake and my day in general. Waiting until I'm in a healthy state of mind before I make any decisions past allowing myself to make the mistake and moving forward with W30.

In the above scenario, you asked and made the effort to verify what you were eating. It's not your fault that someone pulled a bait and switch. Assuming that a product is okay without verifying it is another set of circumstances.

Thanks for that reminder. I know that when it comes down to it, this was my fault. For now, I'm moving forward, and I'll decide whether or not I'm restarting once I've proven to myself that I can keep going with this. I'm too much of a perfectionist, so it's very likely that I'll end up adding ten days to the end of it because I know it won't truly be a completed Whole30 otherwise and I am way too set on seeing this thing through!

I've stayed up late thinking about this, so I figured I might as well write out/post my train of thought.

My goal in doing the Whole30 was to fix my unhealthy relationship with food. Ten days in, and I have already noticed so many results in that area! I'm not dreaming about soda anymore, I'm not worried about the fact that my potatoes can't have my favorite toppings: butter, cheese, and sour cream, and when I feel a craving, I've found it easier and easier to squash them, and not in an "if you eat it, you won't lose the weight you want to lose!" sort of way.

I had the wrong kind of salad dressing. I'd had trouble sleeping the night before and I woke up late and my head still wasn't on straight (note to self: have a plan for the morning before waking up in the morning to avoid mistakes like this!). I saw "oil and vinegar" and went for it since I hadn't taken the time to investigate the restaurant's salad dressing. I should have just avoided dressing altogether, and I knew that almost immediately.

However, using the dressing one time did get in the way of my personal goal. Making something this small reason to start the Whole30 over, however, would get in the way of my personal goal. I am still not in a place where I can say, "Well, you need to start over!" without hearing that I failed and considering spiraling out of control with my diet immediately. Even reading over some of these extremely helpful and constructive posts made some little demon inside of me start to tell myself to just give up now. But when I imagine that I'm one-third of the way through this, it makes me feel like this is actually extremely helpful and I might continue and do a Whole60 or further, because I feel like I can. If I start over now, I will spend the next ten days extremely discouraged, and that won't be good, considering it'll be hard enough as I'm traveling and staying with people who are not following the Whole30.

Because I want to make sure that I accomplish that main goal, I'm going to keep going. If another slip-up occurs, I will re-evaluate, of course, but I very rarely make the same type of mistake twice. If I must go out, I will be extremely diligent in the choices that I make and the questions that I ask.

Thanks for everyone's help! I am sure that I'm making the right choice here.

Archived