Mayo

Well, it's not commercial mayo! Your homemade has no sweetener or stabilizers or the like. So, it has a little more acidic bite than the commercial stuff. I prefer ACV for my acid, although fresh lemon juice gives it a brighter "tang". It was a little strange for me at first, too, but I don't think I'll ever go back to commercial mayo.

• Moderators

What kind of oil did you use? What seasonings? What acid (lemon juice, ACV or other type of vinegar)?

Using EVOO instead of light-tasting olive oil will give you a very strong flavor. Different acids will taste different as well, as healthycrone pointed out. Does it taste bad, like the oil was rancid? Or just weird, like something you'd need to get used to? (If you're not sure about this one, taste a little bit of the oil on its own -- does it have a weird smell or taste? Whatever the oil tastes like is going to come through in the mayo.)

(btw, I deleted the other topic with this title -- there were no replies to it. This way it's all in one place, and it fits better here under Food, Drink & Condiments.)

Good point it was a brand new bottle of olive oil from sprouts. Might try a different kind tomorrow

Yeah "regular" olive oil is notorious for giving a really bitter terrible taste. If you want olive oil, use "extra light tasting", which should be very pale yellow and taste like nothing on it's own. Avocado oil (also pick a lighter yellow one), Macadamia nut oil, and even coconut oil (mix with some part of another oil to avoid going hard in the fridge), are really good options.

I  use either extra light olive oil or pale avocado oil. I typically use lemon juice and apple cider vinegar (1 T of each) but I have also experimented with using pickle brine from fermented pickles and from sauerkraut, both fermented and packed in vinegar (Nathan's was the regular one). Changes up the taste, gives it a bit more tang. The pickle brine one got used with fish. Once you have got your mayo down with how you like it, you can change it up with herbs and other vinegars/acids. 

Archived