olive oil

What kind of olive oil do you use? The last one I bought was horrible! It was HEB brand.  I stored it properly but the taste was so strong and not in a good way.  Do you use a different olive oil when cooking and when using for salad dressing? Thanks so much. 

• Moderators

I personally don't cook a lot with olive oil. I may occasionally, but mostly I use coconut oil, ghee, lard, avocado oil or macadamia nut oil for cooking. I use light tasting olive oil for making mayo and extra virgin olive oil for salad dressings and uncooked sauces like pesto or chimichurri.

I usually use California Olive Ranch brand for evoo. I don't know if it's necessarily good or bad, but I'm happy with the taste, it's not as bitter as some other brands I've tried.

I can't recommend a good brand of Olive Oil, as there is a big scam going on, with some brands "cutting" it with soybean oil or other oil... In my very limited research on the topic, I discovered a whole lot of other people are finding out about the scams... Basically, you need to research the brands, as "Imported from Italy" can be as cheap as the ink to print that...

Good Luck... I switched to Coconut in the glass jar, as it is also problematic for me in the plastic

http://fortune.com/2015/06/24/olive-oil-brands-lawsuits/

I am in love with this one I bought from Costco.  California Olive Ranch - Roasted Garlic Oil Made with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  Ingredients: Extra virgin olive oil, natural roasted garlic flavor. Cost: $8.49 (1 Liter).

The garlic flavor is definitely in there so if you're not a fan of garlic you're not going to like it. 

I use Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil for making mayo, which also serves as the base for my creamy dressings.

I use EVOO (a brand called Supreme which my husband gets by the case in his work as a chef), for oil and vinegar dressings, lightly sauteeing or stir frying.

Otherwise I use coconut oil or clarified butter for cooking.

Archived