Day 2 here! 

Yesterday I had a small avocado and hard boiled egg whites for lunch - egg salad 

last night a large kale salad with olive oil and vinegar, lots of veggies, tuna and another small avocado diced up.

today I had avocado halves with tuna (in water) and lime juice. and cucumbers w/lime juice.

Am I going overboard with the avocados? 

Dinner will be grilled meat & veg (no avocados left) 

Sounds delicious.  No, it's not overboard.  I do wonder tho why only egg whites and not the yolks?

SugarcubeOD, I don't know! I'm overweight, and while I realize there is health benefits in the yolk,  I had eggs for breakfast and didn't want to overdue the fat, I guess. I am hoping to lose weight, I won't lie, but more importantly I need to stop eating sugar. I have a huge sugar dragon! I thought this would be an excellent way to prove to myself that I can do anything! and reintroduce good eating habits! 

First off-- don't fear the fat -- fat brings flavor and satiates, which is important when going 4-5 hours between meals. Eat the yolks -- lots of healthy goodies in there -- but change up your protein sources -- fish, beef, lamb, bison, chicken, pork, duck.... the list goes on. Changing up your fats is a good thing too, so that you don't get 'stuck' on one thing and it also helps to bring more nutrition to your foods. Olives, chopped nuts on salads or as a breading for fish or chicken, mayo, olive oil, mac nut oil, truffle oil if you want to get fancy, compliant bacon, duck fat, goose fat, tallow if you choose and have access, or coconut milk for curries. You could also top your protein with ghee or saute in coconut oil as well. 

Follow the template for your meals and you won't go wrong  :D  1-2 palm size portions of protein, or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand (typically 3-4 for most women), 1-3 cups or more of veggies, 1-2 thumbs worth of fat. Trust the science, trust the whole 30 as written -- you won't go wrong. 

• Moderators

reintroduce good eating habits! 

This is excellent motivation for doing a Whole30.  The Whole30 encourages eating whole, healthy, nutritious foods and good eating habits include not being scared of fat.  Nature brought us eggs with whites and yolks on purpose.. to eat the whole egg is to get the most benefit out of it.  I recommend the book Eat the Yolks by Liz Wolfe.  It's a great partner to Whole30 in that it explains in very approachable and often humorous tones exactly why we should eat the yolk and not be afraid of cholesterol, fat and red meat. It's great!

You mention you're overweight and I just wanted to touch on this for a minute.  Losing weight is not a calories in vs calories out equation the way that the diet industry would have us believe.  Your hormones play an enormous part in regulating weight loss, weight gain and weight regulation.  When your hormones come back in line (which if you come from a place of disordered eating and dieting, they're almost positively out of whack), your body starts to heal... and feel safe.  That's when it will start to let go of excess weight.  It's almost impossible to overdo fat on the Whole30.  When you are able to listen to your body's cues on hunger and satiation, you'll see that over eating becomes almost impossible. 

Archived