I'm in

Mitch55

Oh, no.  I wouldn't spike it.  I think you could hooch it up until it was more hooch than booch.  I've heard the scoby would croak though...kick the bucket.  :D  :lol:  :D I don't drink, really.  It's a family tradition...not big drinkers.  Can't really handle it...like, at all, Mitch.  :D  :lol:  :P 

"I have a basic 1 gallon brew.

I am interested in making my Kombucha as alcoholic as possible as an experiment.

One friend suggested continuous addition of sugar to the brew over several weeks.

What do you guys think?

I'd just leave the kombucha out of it and if I wanted to make alcohol for grins, I'd:

get a gallon of apple juice (easy to find in a plastic jug--make sure it is without preservatives, check to make sure there's no potassium sorbate or anything like that),

drink a glass (to make room),

pour in a couple packets of active dry yeast,

add about 3/4 cup of sugar,

put on the lid and shake well,

and then loosen the lid most of the way so the gas can escape as it ferments (if not the jug will explode and you will be sorry), and store in a dark place (like a closet, a cabinet, etc).

This is probably the easiest possible way to make drinkable hooch. You can taste it any time to see how it's doing, but in 2 weeks or so (depending on factors including temperature) it will probably be about as strong as wine.

Pour a glass; it's a little bit fizzy, it's cloudy with yeast, and it's good to drink.

There will be a bit of an appley-yeastey smell in the area where you keep the cider. It's not unpleasant; it smells a bit like an apple pie."

See, like these people.  :D  :D Hooch is home brewskis.   It's Booch when it's tame and Hooch Booch when taking a walk on the wild side.

I have gotten a buzz off of the GT Kombucha too -- tells ya what a lightweight I am! LOL If I am going to do kombucha, I put 3 oz in a 12 oz glass and top it off with club soda. Thinking about doing water kefir though!

Did ya know that hooch is what the liquor is called that forms when making real sourdough starter? It is what the '49's drank to get a buzz! Back in the day, I used to catch wild yeast (spring is the best time for it) by putting flour and water on my back deck, covered with a couple layers of cheesecloth. Worked really well, and the hooch would get going and you could really smell the alcohol brewing away -- got really strong sometimes too! 

No wonder I get a buzz from sourdough pancakes.  They make me so light headed. Thank you, SpinSpin.

I do lurve the fragrance of sourdough starter.  Yummo. 

The more you know. 

If I made booch and it turned into hooch,  I might spend all of my days underneath the kitchen sink or inside of the cupboard.  I might sleep in there.

I have gotten a buzz off of the GT Kombucha too -- tells ya what a lightweight I am! LOL If I am going to do kombucha, I put 3 oz in a 12 oz glass and top it off with club soda. Thinking about doing water kefir though!

Did ya know that hooch is what the liquor is called that forms when making real sourdough starter? It is what the '49's drank to get a buzz! Back in the day, I used to catch wild yeast (spring is the best time for it) by putting flour and water on my back deck, covered with a couple layers of cheesecloth. Worked really well, and the hooch would get going and you could really smell the alcohol brewing away -- got really strong sometimes too! 

Why do you think this is true for both of us?  Blood sugar?

It very well could be, and I think combined (at least for me) with being pretty dry. I can't tell you the last time I had anything to drink -- hubby has his CDL and he can lose his license (and his job) if he failed a breathalyzer, and I used to be a school bus driver and the rule was 12 hours from bottle to throttle, and since I started my day at 5:30, I really didn't relish the idea of pounding a beer or other drink by 5:30pm to be legal to drive by 5:30 am. So we pretty much got out of the habit of having anything. 

Archived