Kirsteen, a newbie's W30

Kirsteen

Ok, so I commited to starting my W30 today, I've planned meals, cleaned out fridge, cupboard etc read loads of the website but haven't finished reading the book. I'm sitting in bed last night reading it when I discover, shock horror, breakfast is non-negotiable, compulsory even. Now, I'm 61 and the last time I ate breakfast was when I was too little to scoot out the door to school without my mother catching me and forcing me to eat.

However, I agree there's no point in following a plan unless you do it properly so I've done me best. I didn't quite manage it within an hour of getting up and I did have my coffee first but, hey, I'm human and I'm doing my best. I'll try to improve as the week goes on.

8.30 am black organic coffee

10.00 am Breakfast - chicken breast, I'd cooked the night before with cucumber sticks, lettuce leaves and homemande mayo.

10.30 - phone call to tell me store's system has crashed so my groceries wont be getting delivered today. I'm mostly housebound and yes the ingredients for my dinner etc were in that delivery - but hey there's always a plan B

2.30 Lunch - 2 muffins (they're not really, that's just what I call 'em) They're like mini frittatas. I saute the veg, add cooked ham and put that in muffin cases then top with beaten egg with a spoonful of almond meal added as that helps them hold together. I had that with grated beetroot, carrot and apple.

5.00 black decaff organic coffee

7.30 Dinner - tin of tuna with spring onion and homemade mayo on large bed of mixed leaves, avocado and alfalfa sprouts. Cup of Rooibos tea.

I was going to have some blueberries but didn't feel hungry and felt I'd rather break the cycle of automatically eating something sweet after dinner.

Thus endeth the first day. I haven't felt tempted to nibble, in fact I've felt really full, so looking forward to tomorrow.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Michelle

I had a bit of a headache last night as I tried to sleep, took ages to fall asleep and woke up through the night so all in all only had about 5 hours sleep. Anyway

Day 2

8.00am - Black coffee

9.00am - Breakfast - 2 frittata 'muffins', green beans and homemade mayo

11.00 - yesterdays shopping arrived so can cook dinner I'd planned

12.00 - Black decaff coffee

3.00 - Lunch (I know it's a bit late but I honestly wasn't hungry enough to eat until then Chicken, cucumber, olive, radish and alfalfa salad in mayo on lettuce

5.00 - cup rooibis tea

7.30 - Dinner - Lamb and vegetable curry with cauliflower and broccoli, handful of blueberries.

Again feel quite full and satisfied. Have to say I've got sore throat, swollen glands and feel fluey but that's very common with M.E. I get it a lot so probably has nothing to do with my diet more that I've been overdoing things but meals are all prepared for tomorrow so can take it easy, no excuse to go off track

Was so tired last night, I was out for the count at 10.30, early for me. The downside was I woke at 1.30 and couldn't get back to sleep til nearly 6 so still not all that much sleep :( the fluey feeling has gone so it was just typical M.E. and I haven't felt too bad today.

Day 3

Black coffee

Breakfast - Chicken, ham. onions, peppers, musrooms and green beans with mayo

Cup rooibos tea

Lunch - roast beef and hard boiled egg with mayo on mixed salad

Cup decaff coffee. I've never liked decaff coffee simply because it has no flavour but I've started adding a pinch of cinnamon, turmeric, cardamon powder and cayenne - yes I know it sounds weird but I'm really enjoying the flavour

Dinner - Lamb and veg curry with cauliflower, handful of grapes

funny thing is I didn't really want the grapes but didn't want to waste them and they were part of my anti-cancer protocol but they tasted really sweet and once I started eating them, I found it difficult to stop :wacko: Will maybe cut them out in future

Didn't fall asleep last night till about 2am. However I did sleep through to 7 so that was better. Felt really rotten when I woke up, shaky, shivery, sick. Hard to tell if it's M.E. or the food. suspect it's more M.E. since i knew I overdid it yesterday, going out but I was a woman on a mission looking for compliant balsmic vinegar. Had to really, really struggle to eat breakfast and the day didn't really improve but I made it.

Day 4

Black coffee

Breakfast - lettuce wraps, 3 lettuce leaves each with a slice of roast beef, green beans and mayo

cup rooibos tea

Fell asleep right through lunch, woke up late afternoon. I decided to have my dinner and if i was hungry later, I could have my lunch.

Dinner - Lamb and veg curry with cauliflower

Lunch - had this a bit late but was hungry - hard boiled egg, 1 slice roast beef, green beans, 3 cherry tomatoes and mayo, handful of grapes

Not been a brilliant day but at least I'm still reasonably with what I ate, if not when

Slept better last night. Was not looking forward to today as I always seem to find day 5 hardest of any new way of eating but it really hasn't been bad.

Day 5

Breakfast - 2 Toulouse sausages with mushrooms, tomato and spinach

Lunch - 1 avocado and small tin tuna in springwater

Dinner - Smoked cod loin with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots

Definitely slept better last night. Took about one and half hours to fall asleep despite being exhausted but then slept about 6 hours straight which is quite unusual for me.

Day 6

Black coffee

Breakfast - organic bacon, chopped and fried with mushrooms tomatoes and green beans

Then WARNING TMI coming up:- Have felt really bunged up for a couple of days - now quite the opposite. The worst stomach upset, I've had for years. Thought I was going to take up permanent residence in the loo :wacko:

However about 6 hours later felt hungry so had

Lunch - Mixed salad with hardboiled egg and small tin tuna

5 hours later stomache still a bit sore but felt sick which is what I always feel when I'm hungry so had

Dinner - Scrambled egg

I know it's a bit light on fat and nonexistent on veggies but it's honestly the only compliant thing I could think of without grueing.

Stomache seems to have settled now

Day 7

Black coffee

Breakfast - 3 small lettuce wraps with cooked beef, mayo and cucumber spears

stomach really played up again, again thought I was taking up residence in the loo, stomach cramps so painful that I had to give in and take medication (buscopan)

later all I could face was an apple and spoonful almond butter

Day 8

Black coffee

stomach still playing up

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled

Lunch/Dinner - bowl of soup made in vitamix, chicken stock, carrot, celery, spring onion, macademia nuts (for fat) added some chopped cooked ham.

Feeling really yeuch - in bed, stomach still really sore

Up a lot of the night with upset stomach and really painful cramps. Caved in this morning and phoned the doctor's surgery and he came out to see me mid-morning. Apparently I have enteritis. No idea how I got it but it's reassuring to know it has nothing to do with W30/. He's given me medication and if it hasn't improved by Thursday he wants me admitted to hospital - soooo not going to happen. Hospital food is the pits.

Day 9

anyway today I had, I can't even call them meals

Black coffee

coconut water

steamed broccoli with seseme oil and coconut aminos.

decaff coffee

I've decided to consider myself still doing W30 even if I'm not eating enough as long as I make sure I don't have anything non-compliant. to give up feels too much like failure. However I will continue it for at least 40 - 45 days before I try adding anything back in. There are a few things I'd like to try reintroducing afterwards to see how I cope with them but basically I see this way of eating as a template for life.I'm lucky in that I'm already gluten, most grains and dairy free and I don't really have a sweet tooth. So to continue eating like this would make perfect sense. First though, to get this stomach under control

Up a lot of the night with upset stomach and really painful cramps. Caved in this morning and phoned the doctor's surgery and he came out to see me mid-morning. Apparently I have enteritis. No idea how I got it but it's reassuring to know it has nothing to do with W30/. He's given me medication and if it hasn't improved by Thursday he wants me admitted to hospital - soooo not going to happen. Hospital food is the pits.

anyway today I had, I can't even call them meals

Black coffee

coconut water

steamed broccoli with seseme oil and coconut aminos.

decaff coffee

I've decided to consider myself still doing W30 even if I'm not eating enough as long as I make sure I don't have anything non-compliant. to give up feels too much like failure. However I will continue it for at least 40 - 45 days before I try adding anything back in. There are a few things I'd like to try reintroducing afterwards to see how I cope with them but basically I see this way of eating as a template for life.I'm lucky in that I'm already gluten, most grains and dairy free and I don't really have a sweet tooth. So to continue eating like this would make perfect sense. First though, to get this stomach under control

Oh Kristeen, I really hope you are feeling better by now. I don't know what M.E. is so I can't help you there. Please let us know how you are feeling.

Day 11

Woke up with horrible side effects of meds. Felt really doped up and spacey. Heart pounding, really shaky, really dizzy when I try to stand, mouth really dry, pounding headache and kept getting so hot you could fry an egg on my face. So obviously stopped meds.

These effects lessened as day went on but haven't completely gone and couldn't face food till evening so today I've had

Coconut water

Bowl of soup - Chicken stock, celery, carrots, leeks pureed then chopped chicken added.

Stomach started cramping again :(

On the plus side, I bet my jeans fit better now :)

Day 12

Side effects gone but up 4 times during night with upset stomach. Have changed meds so we'll see how these work

Black coffee

2 eggs scrambled

small bowl chicken soup

Stomach still cramping, feels tight and bloated which doesn't seem possible considering how little is in it :wacko:

Day 15

Still feeling totally crashed but still feeling pleased I've stuck to W30. However since I haven't really been well , I don't think I'm getting full benefit out of W30 so I officially commit to doing W45. :)

Black coffee

Avocado, green beans and chicken with mayo.

stirfry veg:- beansprouts, carrots, mushrooms, cabbage with prawns.

handful raspberries

Day 16 feeling a bit better today. Was supposed to be my last cancer treatment today but wasn't well enough to go so have rescheduled for next week. Have been having to remind myself to eat, today felt absolutely starving, could have eaten a scabby horse :)

Black Coffee

eggs with peppers, onions and tomatoes and hot sauce.

same again ( liked it so much)

salmon with green beans & bacon, sweet potato & butternut squash

Handful raspberries with coconut milk

Day 18

Feeling a lot better and sleeping better but really glad I've committed to W45 as I don't want half my experience to just be when I was ill. I want to get really used to this way of eating before I even think of adding anything back in.

Black coffee

last night's leftovers :- sliced beef, brussel sprouts & onions

avocado & tuna with spoonful mayo.

apple slices & almond butter

Chilli and caulflower 'rice'.

Day 19. Actually felt well enough to make it our today. Had to renew son's travel pass and while I was out bought lovely organic chicken.

However missed lunch which did leave me feeling hungry in the evening.

Black coffee

chorizo sausages, cabbage & leek

Chilli & cauliflower 'rice'

banana

handful blueberries

Day 22 Really struggled today. Would have been happy to eat nonstop. Know I ate too much and too much fruit. I've never had a sugar addiction, never really had a sweet tooth, yet today I definitely wanted sugar - strange

Black coffee

egg mayo with ham on lettuce leaves

Chicken, sweet potatoes & mixed veg

Apple & banana

chicken salad

Day 23 Today was my last cancer treatment - yeah!. I knew I had to leave for the hospital at midday and it would be several hours before I got back. At the hospital they feed you sandwiches and biscuits - not an option - but I find it difficult to take my own food as it has to be totally managed with my left hand as my right arm is imobile while it's fixed to the drip.

I knew if I tried to fit in breakfast and lunch before I went I'd end up feeling sick so I decided to have a late breakfast, just coffee and herbal tea while I was there and my dinner when I returned. So :-

Black coffee

Bacon (love the fact that we can get sugar free bacon in the UK) eggs and mushrooms

Chicken stirfry with mixed veg

Archived