What if I do not have symptoms?

Allia

Hello! I am very new to Whole30 and have not even started it yet. However, I'm having trouble understanding what it will do for me if I do not have any reactions to gluten, dairy, legumes, or sweeteners/sugars. Is it "healthier" to just avoid those even if I don't have symptoms?

I apologize if this is a repeat.

• Moderators

It is healthier to avoid these foods even if you don't notice negative reactions to them when you reintroduce. However, the chances of you not feeling better after you have had these out of your system for 30 days is low. A fair number of people can reintroduce these foods and not notice negative symptoms when they do. However, if they go back to eating like they did before, they go back to feeling like they did before. 

Why is it healthier to avoid these foods? o.o The reason I am asking is that well, there are certain dishes that are important to me because I want to preserve my culture (I'm Chinese) like dumplings/noodles/flatbreads, and I would like to incorporate them in my diet, only not in a "___ dragon addiction" way.

Moreover, I am also not at a healthy weight (at least for my body. I'm a teenager, so a little less than 80 lbs at 4'11" may not sound that low!), and I am not sure if "forbidden foods" will have a place in a healthy weight gain strategy for me, if I still tolerate them.

• Moderators

The best explanation of why particular foods are out during a Whole30 is found in the book It Starts with Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. They explain with reference to four categories how some foods make people less healthy. If you don't have access to the book, they posted a variety of "Manifesto" articles on the blog over the years that provide a lot of explanation. Here is a link - http://whole30.com/category/manifesto-series/

I second what Tom said. You seem to have a lot of questions about they "whys" of whole30. People on the forum are very willing to help and answer specific questions; however you seem very inquisitive and the types of explanations provided in the book, It Starts With Food will probably give you the depth of explanation you seem to want and need in order to make up your mind as to whether you want to embark on a whole30.

And no, you don't have to abstain from those foods forever, it's a whole30, not a whole365. The program helps you figure out which foods are worth it for you to continue eating and which are not. Every person is different, no one can tell you what those foods will be or should be. If you want to find out what they are, the only way is to do the program.

Guest Andria

Thank you for the helpful link. However, I am more wondering about, "Do I always have to abstain from the foods Whooe30 excludes, even after completing the 30 days?"

You don't have to do anything.  What brought you to the Whole30 in the first place?  Do you have the book It Starts with Food?  There is science behind this program and this books explains that.  The links Tom gave you are a good start, too.

If you want to go back to these foods before you even start the Whole30, I don't understand why you want to do the Whole30.  This is not a weight loss plan. I am very concerned if you are 80 lbs at 4'11' and feel you need to lose weight? Actually, I can not tell if you want weight loss or weight gain?  80lbs at 4'11" as a teenager is underweight.

I am sorry for my repeated questions! I will do more research next time before coming to the forums. When I mean "have to," I just mean "for optimal health," as I have heard that many people have issues with gluten, dairy, legumes, etc.

I don't know if I would like to go back, but I was just wondering how harmful they are. I don't do Whole30 because I want to lose weight. That's why I posted in the "Whole30 for kids" because it I want to avoid the rapid weight loss that often accompanies Whole30. I would just want to be healthier and find out what foods I can tolerate and what foods I can't. While thinking about this I wondered if certain forbidden foods could be for anyone.

Guest Andria

I am sorry for my repeated questions! I will do more research next time before coming to the forums. When I mean "have to," I just mean "for optimal health," as I have heard that many people have issues with gluten, dairy, legumes, etc.

I don't know if I would like to go back, but I was just wondering how harmful they are. I don't do Whole30 because I want to lose weight. That's why I posted in the "Whole30 for kids" because it I want to avoid the rapid weight loss that often accompanies Whole30. I would just want to be healthier and find out what foods I can tolerate and what foods I can't. While thinking about this I wondered if certain forbidden foods could be for anyone.

Ok, your response clarifies a lot and you sound like you are coming from a good place. I am glad to hear you are concerned about not losing weight :) Here is some info about maintaining or gaining weight while on a Whole30:  http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Some people do find that they can tolerate varying amounts of the originally excluded foods after they reintroduce them.  For instance, Melissa Hartwig said she can tolerate hummus but not dairy.  I know dairy gives me acne and potentiates seasonal allergy symptoms and sinusitis, but I can tolerate a small amount here in there (but definitely not milk, ever).  Some people can tolerate non gluten grains like rice.  There is increasing evidence that gluten is bad for everyone.  

Your best bet is to do the Whole30 and the proper reintroductions then you can decide for yourself what is worth it and what is not.  With that said, though, the excluded foods are excluded for a reason.  They will never make you more healthy than eating meat, seafood, eggs, vegetables/fruit and  fat.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions that is what we are here for, but for you to get the best feel for the program some reading will help. ;)

• Administrators

If you do decide to do the Whole30, Allia, you might like to read this article about keeping weight ON during a Whole30...some of the recommendations are a bit different.  http://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Also, as a teenager you are still growing and developing so because for the purposes of the Whole30, depending on how old you actually are, you may be considered a child and if so, the "no snacking" rule does not apply to you.  Three full meals a day, four if you need them and in between meals you could do "mini meals" of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies (think hard boiled egg with olives & snap peas, chicken thigh with mayo & carrots).

Thanks! I did read that article. I recently started, and I have incorporated starchier vegetables into my diet: carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, for example. I place more importance on having added fat, something I never did before Whole30.

Archived