Day 3 and Starving!

eao249

This is my 3rd day doing the Whole30 and I'm so hungry! I eat when I'm hungry and eat until I feel satisfied, making sure to fill up on protein and healthy fats and veggies but then I'm hungry again in no time. I think this is one of those clear signs of being a "sugar burner" as opposed to a "fat burner." I've done 3 weeks of a Whole30 before and know this is only temporary until my body starts using fat as fuel. But it's a hard time to get through. But I know I can do it! Anyone else going through the same phase!

Are you able to post a couple of days worth of meals for us to take a look at?  Please include water consumption, sleep and activity levels.

We should be able to help you trouble shoot.  You should not be hungry at any point except maybe an 1/2 hour before you eat.

Hi Carlaccini! I don't think there are any shoulds when it comes to how your body responds during this transition. Everyone is different, right? I've gone through this before and know that after a few days the ravenous hunger goes away and I feel more in control of food and hunger than I ever have. I know it's all worth it. Just helpful to know that I'm not alone and other people are experiencing the same challenges! 

I'm on day 3. First day I was starving between meals and snacked. Second day, ramped up the portions and did a little better making it between meals. I prefer smaller meals more frequently and tony lunches, so I am finding it hard to eat so much fatty food and protein for lunch. 

• Administrators

Hi Carlaccini! I don't think there are any shoulds when it comes to how your body responds during this transition. Everyone is different, right? I've gone through this before and know that after a few days the ravenous hunger goes away and I feel more in control of food and hunger than I ever have. I know it's all worth it. Just helpful to know that I'm not alone and other people are experiencing the same challenges! 

You're totally right, everyone responds differently.  Some things though are pretty standard.  Ravenous hunger is your body trying to tell you that it's not getting enough of something, food or water being two likely culprits but sleep is one also.

The Whole30 is a bit different in that we don't believe that you should have to suffer through hunger until it goes away.  Note that restricted consumption in the face of strong hunger signals only causes your body to slow the metabolism and healing functions.  It is extremely freeing and empowering to toss away all the things we've been told about how much we are entitled to eat (especially as women, not sure if you are female or not?) and just respect your body and what it's trying to communicate. 

If you are female, note that during your cycle, there are periods where you may be doubly hungry as you are the rest of the month.  This is normal and can also be respected, our bodies go through a huge hormonal shift and they need the nutrition.

I know what you are saying... however being *starving* is not something we encourage here.  This is an overall symptom of someone not eating enough or eating too much fruit as a substitution for vegetables.

Being starving can be the difference between a compliant meal and a Compliant Meal

I'm not restricting my food intake and my meals are compliant. For example, for breakfast today I had 1/2 of a sweet potato stuffed with left over BBQ pulled chicken (make with homemade compliant BBQ sauce) and a side of string beans with olive oil. I also had 1/4 of an avocado. As I mentioned, I eat when I'm hungry and eat until I feel satisfied. I think my portions may be smaller than some people's because I do find that I tend to fill up pretty quickly, and I don't want to eat until I'm uncomfortably full. By "starving" I just mean I'm hungry all the time. So far I feel like I need to eat every 2-3 hours. When I am hungry between meals I eat something like an apple and a small handful of nuts. I've been trying to drink plenty of water, but I probably could drink more. I'll try to do a better job with that. 

Archived