Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

Hi all: glad to know that there are others with the same start date as me. This is not my first time to the rodeo and I'm a little worried about doing a Whole 30 without a co-worker or family member to cheer me on. BUT I am excited to get this going and want to encourage those of you who are new to the program! Here's what I have learned:

1. It's all about the shopping/prep. For real. I usually devote Sundays to getting those things done. Kinda a drag but it's the only way for me to stay compliant.

2. I benefit from the quick shots of online support to keep me focused. I signed up for the 30 day email on my first round and I would encourage other first-timers to do so. Both fun and educational.

2. I also coupled this food challenge with an exercise challenge. I started with a one-minute plank this morning and will add 10 seconds every day. My aim is to get to a 3 minute plank (for this old gal, that would be impressive).

4. While I do go through the physical symptoms explained in the W30 materials, the crappy days are not all that crappy. And I really, really do feel a lot better with this way of eating.

Look forward to staying in touch with this 8/24 group.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started today 8/24 too!  Looking forward to the journey and hoping to finally get into a healthy relationship with food.  I have done it all and have looked for the magic potion to health and wellness and I think Whole30 may be it!

I am 55, work a sedentary job, have not been working out (after years of being very active) and eating like a barbarian!

I just need to keep it simple, when it becomes complicated - I quit!

Looking forward to the journey with all of you!

~B  :rolleyes:  

How did everyone do this AM?  Me not so good.  Well, we ate by the rules but my anxiety level was through the roof.  And it was all about the ghee!  Arrgh.  I thought it would be an easy 10 minute thing.  The plan was fried eggs over sauteed spinach with a side of nitrate-free bacon.  Well, forgot to defrost the bacon and kids began to chime in with all their fears "Spinach for BREAKFAST??!!", "But I don't eat dippy eggs without bread", etc.  Anyway, in the process of cooking, calming fears, and watching you tube video of making ghee, I spilled both the ghee and the bacon grease!  

We needed to ditch yoga class and spend a half hour cleaning the kitchen BUT the end result was we all LOVED breakfast.  Yeah!  Even without the toast. :)

Meal 1 down.  Think I'll prep for lunch now. :rolleyes:  Lynne

My meal was a lot quicker than yours (quick scrambled eggs with leftover roasted vegetables and a slice of avocado - this was my staple breakfast last W30, and I'm a creature of habit so I don't mind eating nearly the same thing every morning), but my body is obviously not used to eating so much in the mornings!  I'm feeling a tiny bit nauseated right now, but not so much that it's keeping me from doing anything.  But at least I'm not hungry mid-morning, which was what I was dealing with pre-W30.

Starting today as well. This is my 2nd rodeo and I feel like it's going to be harder than my first. Hoping that this helps my recent spike in depression and anxiety issues, and helps me sleep a bit better. Doing it all on my own with no help, so I'll be here looking for support, as long as y'all don't mind providing some :)

Good luck to all of us starting today!!

Wow, a bunch of folks are starting Monday! I'll be starting tomorrow, the 23rd, but I'm going to hang with you guys. I've struggled a lot lately with almost binge-like eating of junk (sweets, chips, peanut butter), and my stress level has been super high due to circumstances. Summer camp staffer, anyone? I was getting 7ish hours of sleep/night and was on my feet pretty much the rest of the time. :P But now that's over and I reeeaally need to get my eating back on track. I've not done a Whole30 before, but I did follow the restrictions for 10 days and that felt amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing just how healthy I can feel! 

I'll be coupling the Whole30 with FitnessBlender's FB30 workout plan, striving to get to bed by 10pm, and adding in a few detoxing routines like oil pulling, dry brushing, and occasional detox baths (I usually put in epsom salts, baking soda, ginger, and/or apple cider vinegar).

This is me:

• 18 years old
  • 5'6" and 147lbs. A year ago I was at 135lbs, and I'd love to be in the 130-135lb. range. Muscle weighs more than fat, though, so I'm not stressing the number on the scale. 

I've found that dried fruit, nut butters, and cashews are foods with no brakes for me, so I'll be cutting those out of my diet. I'm also limiting my fruit to 1 - 2 servings a day in order to slay my sugar dragon. 

Accountability: you guys, my mom, and my best friend. 

Let's get this show on the road!

Oh man I love all your detoxing ideas!  Epsom salt baths are amazing (especially once it starts getting cold outside and I'm chilled to the bone) and I just started oil pulling.  I took a break from it this morning though since my larger than usual breakfast had me a little queasy.  Have you tried it before and it has helped or are you just starting now?

Hope day 2 is going well for you!

Hello all!

Happy to check in here! Easy morning (so far): iced coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon + 1 whole egg plus 3 egg whites, and steamed veggies (in no fat). This is my usual breakfast pre-W30 except for the coffee. I usually dress up my coffee differently ... and well, I think I could get used to this! I had a moment of 'ugh' when I tasted the coffee but I am sucking it up. I know these changes are good for me. I can go back to behaving like a 'bad girl' once the 30 days is up but I know I won't!

I made a huge pot of carrot + sweet potato + ginger soup and roast chicken. That was lunch. Delicious! 

I have some known food allergies going into this: dairy, caffeine (you read that right), and chocolate. I'm weaning myself off the coffee during this W30.

Good habits ... all the way! I know my end-goal and that is sitting at the forefront of my mind while I go thru my days!

Sending some strength and resolve for anyone who needs it right now! 

xx

Hello everyone -

I started today as well. I have been successfully following the paleo diet for over a year now but very recently (last 15 weeks) have started falling back into very bad habits (think Starbucks and McD's french fries). I feel terrible both mentally and physically so I am recommitting starting today. This will be a challenge as we have had a few substantial financial setbacks lately which WAS my excuse for my poor diet choices... I was getting the junk for free (no money but paying with my health). I am the mother of four, wife of very supportive but junk food enabling hubby and full time career professional hoping for a BIG career change in the next few months. So as you can imagine I am super busy and thanks to all my kids starting a new school and my eldest going to college this year we are BROKE!!! However, I will make this work and hope to get support from this board and by staying engaged for the next 30+ days.

I look forward to hearing how others overcome their obstacles and stay motivated. :D

Thanks,

Kim

Day one is not going too great. I am fulling blaming this on the menstrual cramps and PMS from h-e-you-know-where. Let's hope by the end of the day I am feeling much better. Any W30 pros in here have any tips for managing this?

I feel like I definitely didn't allow myself enough time to prepare and mindfully eat a breakfast this morning (mixed greens with EVOO and balsamic, sweet potato coins), 1/4 of an avocado with 2 proscuitto and egg cups all mushed up together).  I literally ate it out of a tupperware as I walked to the subway. Not a great start to the day, I'd say.

Posting this on my lunch break. Having three mustard glazed chicken thighs for M2 with a mixed green salad w/ ranch dressing, and a handful of blueberries. Making the Shepherd's Pie from the Whole30 book tonight with a side of broccoli. Looking forward to some healthy carbs!

My goal for tonight is to get a good's night sleep. Hope you're all doing well!

How did everyone do this AM?  Me not so good.  Well, we ate by the rules but my anxiety level was through the roof.  And it was all about the ghee!  Arrgh.  I thought it would be an easy 10 minute thing.  The plan was fried eggs over sauteed spinach with a side of nitrate-free bacon.  Well, forgot to defrost the bacon and kids began to chime in with all their fears "Spinach for BREAKFAST??!!", "But I don't eat dippy eggs without bread", etc.  Anyway, in the process of cooking, calming fears, and watching you tube video of making ghee, I spilled both the ghee and the bacon grease!  

We needed to ditch yoga class and spend a half hour cleaning the kitchen BUT the end result was we all LOVED breakfast.  Yeah!  Even without the toast. :)

Meal 1 down.  Think I'll prep for lunch now. :rolleyes:  Lynne

I just started today too!  I have done whole30s before (2) and have been successful.

My first whole30 I would pretty much eat hard boiled eggs + (maybe a veggie) + fruit- and I got REALLY sick of eating hard boiled eggs.

2nd time I discovered breakfast casseroles- which have been a life saver.  First of all, my husband and I often start work at different times and he is lost unless I cook him something.. so he can take a slice of breakfast casserole out, put it in the microwave and eat that!

Last night I made this:

http://www.fromthiskitchentable.com/sweet-potato-breakfast-casserole/

And it was delicious!  And not too difficult.  And then I sliced it up and we take pieces out each morning and eat it throughout the week.  Then the weekends I'll usually make breakfast if we are both home and have time.  This weekend, I plan on trying a recipe that involves a twice baked sweet potato with an egg and bacon on top (it looks really good).

Today is the day, I'm in!  I'm a work from home digital artist with twin 8 year old girls. In the last 8 years I have gained a ton of weight and have seen my asthma symptoms go through the roof. Now I am dealing with a lot of joint pain and numbness while I work. Sleeping with wrist braces on is getting very old. I used to be super active but I get tired folding laundry now. I was also a licensed veterinary technician for 4 years and honestly, all the science here is the same that I learned in school. I don't know why I never applied it to myself. Very excited for the changes! 

I have the week planned out but not prepped. I need to get better at that.

today so far...

M1 - 3 eggs, diced sweet potatoes, onion, spinach and a handful of strawberries

M2 - Shrimp with diced avocado, red onion, romaine lettuce, juice of a lemon and kosher salt.

Glad to be on this journey with all of you!

M1 - Two eggs wrapped in swiss chard, a few cut up peach slices, and spinach/raspberries/coconut milk blended and eaten with a spoon (I wanted to have sweet potatoes ready, but didn't get to that yet in my meal prep. Tonight). Black coffee. 

M2 - Big salad with greens, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, Trader Joe's omega 3 packet, spiced tilapia, balsamic and olive oil, the rest of the peach

M3 - Planning on dijon tilapia with zoodles, cherry tomatoes

If I need a snack, I'm planning on strawberries and almonds. 

The biggest challenges on day 1 so far I was prepared for - I'm used to a protein shake with Vega protein powder after my workout in the AM, and sipping it while I get ready. Today was okay without it. I'm also used to chewing gum after eating, and instead rinsed with water and then brushed my teeth awhile later (shooting for at least 30 minutes post-meal to not cause any damage to my tooth enamel). It's working fine so far but today is not crazy busy at work like it can get, so that was easier. So far so good!

Anyone experiencing brain fog yet?  I was surprised that it started today already, though I have been a bit heavy on the sugar in recent weeks.  I did just get over a flu at the end of last week, so that might be related as well. 

Aside from that, Day 1 is going pretty good so far!

Anyone experiencing brain fog yet?  I was surprised that it started today already, though I have been a bit heavy on the sugar in recent weeks.  I did just get over a flu at the end of last week, so that might be related as well. 

Aside from that, Day 1 is going pretty good so far!

Make sure you're drinking the recommended amount of water - a half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily...

Day 1 at the office has been a success! I had a handful of almonds for an AM snack, for lunch I had a really great salad with spring mix, broccoli, carrots, grilled chicken, and a dash of olive oil, and a banana with almond butter this afternoon. Tonight I plan on grilling up some pork chops and veggies for a yummy summer dinner. Just gotta keep reminding myself to stay positive!!

Day 1 at the office has been a success! I had a handful of almonds for an AM snack, for lunch I had a really great salad with spring mix, broccoli, carrots, grilled chicken, and a dash of olive oil, and a banana with almond butter this afternoon. Tonight I plan on grilling up some pork chops and veggies for a yummy summer dinner. Just gotta keep reminding myself to stay positive!!

Congrats on making it through day one!

For best results try to make your meals big enough that you keep you full for 4-5hrs without the need for a snack - your digestive system needs time to rest in between meals. Just keep an eye on your nut/nut butter intake as these are hard on the digestive system, and can become a food without breaks (FWOB) for many people.

Hello all!

Happy to check in here! Easy morning (so far): iced coffee with coconut milk and cinnamon + 1 whole egg plus 3 egg whites, and steamed veggies (in no fat). This is my usual breakfast pre-W30 except for the coffee. I usually dress up my coffee differently ... and well, I think I could get used to this! I had a moment of 'ugh' when I tasted the coffee but I am sucking it up. I know these changes are good for me. I can go back to behaving like a 'bad girl' once the 30 days is up but I know I won't!

Hi there & welcome to Whole30.

Coffee is an appetite suppressant so make you are drinking it with or after your food. Can I ask why you are eating only one egg yolk? We recommend you eat the whole egg as the nutrients are in the yolk - you could probably do with adding more fat to this meal too....

Hi there & welcome to Whole30.

Coffee is an appetite suppressant so make you are drinking it with or after your food. Can I ask why you are eating only one egg yolk? We recommend you eat the whole egg as the nutrients are in the yolk - you could probably do with adding more fat to this meal too....

Thanks for your feedback. I'm an athlete so I'm trying to put on weight (specifically muscle). I do about 12 to 15 hours per week of activity; mostly weight training and a lot of yoga. I aim for about 120g+ of protein per day. As for 'not enough fat', I am putting a lot of coconut milk in my coffee! I am also getting lots of fat in my other meals.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm an athlete so I'm trying to put on weight (specifically muscle). I do about 12 to 15 hours per week of activity; mostly weight training and a lot of yoga. I aim for about 120g+ of protein per day. As for 'not enough fat', I am putting a lot of coconut milk in my coffee! I am also getting lots of fat in my other meals.

In that case you need to be sure to include pre & post WO meals in addition to your three main meals. The recommendation is for a lean protein & fat for preWO, and a lean protein & a starchy carb post work out - no fruit before or after.

There are many athletes on the forum, and each of us add additional fat to all of our meals - it's key for brain function & for energy. You say you are getting plenty of fat in your other meals, but your lunch of soup & chicken had no added fat. Honestly, embrace the fat - it truly is your friend here.

The recommendation for everyone is to eat the whole egg unless there is some medical reason for you not to do so (ie. no gall bladder), and no-one should be counting macros - protein portions should be measured against the palm of your hand, with a serving of eggs being the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. Eating to the high end of the meal template will ensure you get adequate protein without worrying about weighing/measuring if that is your concern.

It's only 30days - you might find that by following the recommendations you will get the results you are looking for.

Check out the Whole30 for Athletes forum.

Congrats on making it through day one!

For best results try to make your meals big enough that you keep you full for 4-5hrs without the need for a snack - your digestive system needs time to rest in between meals. Just keep an eye on your nut/nut butter intake as these are hard on the digestive system, and can become a food without breaks (FWOB) for many people.

Thanks for the tips! I'm so used to snacking that it's more habit than necessity. I'll see if I can curb it today (but I did bring an apple with me just in case).

....I just started oil pulling.  I took a break from it this morning though since my larger than usual breakfast had me a little queasy.  Have you tried it before and it has helped or are you just starting now?

Hope day 2 is going well for you!

Everything I've read recommends oil pulling on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. That might help your queasiness! I tried oil pulling for maybe a week before, which wasn't long enough to notice major benefits. I did, however, notice whiter/cleaner feeling teeth and for some reason it helps clear up any congestion I had. :)

Boom! Day two went without a hitch, and I'm into day number three! This morning I didn't feel hungry at all, but after my morning workout I made myself eat a sweet potato and two eggs. Any tips on what to do if that happens again? If I'm not hungry at mealtimes, should I skip a meal? Eat in a few hours? Or just eat anyways?

Hi Everyone - I'm hoping to join in on this thread! I started my 2nd Whole30 today...I'm actually nervous because the first time I did this went super well and I've tried doing it a second time, many times since then, and things just weren't as great and I fell off the wagon quickly. My body is telling me that I need to keep changing my habits and be healthier - I'm also remembering the awesome NSV's from my first W30 and MISS THEM TERRIBLY. So, back on track today! Cheers to Day 1 (and Day 2 & 3 for you all!)!

Hello everyone,  I started on 8/24 as well.  Did not want to eat my breakfast casserole first thing (never eat breakfast), but took a small piece and it tasted quite fine.  Enjoyed it this morning as well.  Followed that with coffee and almond milk that I made at home - it was divine - so much better (and creamier) than the carton stuff I'd been using that contains bad stuff.

I expect my biggest challenge will be giving up wine - it wasn't hard the first night.  

My husband is doing this with me - he read Whole 30 over my shoulder on a long flight last Friday, and said when are we starting?  We returned home to an outbreak of pantry moths in our pantry - took the whole weekend, but we emptied out the pantry (and cupboards and fridge), scrubbed, even painted.  Shopped on Sunday - took a long time to shop (hard to believe where sugar lurks) - but even found bacon without sugar - yay!

I am relieved and excited to be on this plan.  It feels right and my body is sighing, finally...

Good Morning Everyone, I am SO excited to see this thread!  Everyone seems to be doing great  :D

I too started on Monday and am REALLY looking forward to the next 30 days.

Yesterday went pretty well.  I did feel a bit of tiredness around 2:30 in the afternoon, but that finally passed.  Had a wonderful dinner and felt great....until about 3 am when I woke up with a bit of nausea, stomach ache and heartburn.  I tossed and turned the rest of the night.  I'm assuming is was part of detoxing????

Today I feel tired, not sure if it is my "hangover" or if it is from tossing and turning most of the night.  Keeping strong and keeping going.

I am doing this with my wife and two friends  :)  and I'm trying to keep everyone motivated and on track.

We've got this!!!

Last night's dinner was a great success (despite the 2.5 hours spent in the kitchen- yikes). 

This whole30 I'm trying to branch out with cooking and make some more unique recipes so we don't get bored.

I have bought the Well Fed cook books and I am so excited about so many recipes!

Last night I made the Morroccan Meatballs with the cauliflower rice pilaf (both well fed recipes).  And they were delicious.  My husband said "this doesn't even taste like diet food!"  (He got a little tired of so much chicken breast last go around). 

Luckily the recipes made plenty that we are having it again for dinner tonight.  (Husband's request). 

I know I could have saved a lot of time if I had chopped up everything ahead of time, so plan on doing that next go around.

Also, Whole30 is a little more difficult when you don't have a dish washer- so much time spent washing dishes!

Archived