Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

Have a question about water - How much water are we suppose to drink a day?  8 glasses?  I have flipped thru my books but can not seem to locate that information.

Our recommendation is 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily.  So, for example, a 150 lb person should drink 75 oz of water daily.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4 for me! Started on Monday.  Had a bit of the foggy brain today. 

Meal planning is going OK. I usually cook 2 large meals for a week and eat till gone. Pork roast with mashed cauliflower, parsnip, and potato (no milk or butter). Left over roast with sweet potato, onions, and red bell pepper - like a hash - with eggs on top. Good breakfast and snack.  Pot roast in the slow cooker tonight!

I was very proud of myself today - I had a work retreat that went from lunch to dinner time, then a baseball game after.  I had to pack both a lunch and a dinner since I knew I wouldn't be finding any compliant meals at either place, which wouldn't have been an issue except I knew I wouldn't have access to a microwave either.  That added a bit of a hurdle.

I ate my regular breakfast at home, and the night before made a chicken salad with homemade mayo, a little compliant mustard, lots of chopped celery and some paprika mixed it.  Then I brought raw carrots and - miracle of miracles - they had a side dish that was compliant!  They listed all the ingredients and it was tomato, cucumber, onion, red wine vinegar (I googled this one to make sure it was okay!), jicama (googled this one also!) and lemon juice.  Score!  So I got to add more veggies to my plate.

Dinner was just the chicken salad (again) and the carrots, but I was happy that I was at least able to eat properly.  The baseball game was challenging more because of cravings (smelling my coworkers' beer was hard), than because of actual hunger.  I focused on conversations and watching the game (and not on the food and drink) and left after the fifth inning.

So yes, my pre-planning (and giant ice pack) worked and kept me on track today.

Good morning, day six!!! I think I'm over my hangover! Last night it was like someone flipped a switch and I suddenly felt crazy-energetic and happy, bouncing all over the place. Still feeling great this morning, although I'm trying to get over a cold. I've already noticed clearer skin/less acne and a flatter tummy! I've been oil pulling for six days too, and my teeth are whiter already. :D Keep up the good work, everyone! It does pay off!

Day 4 over here...things are tough today. It's Bagel Friday at work and people bring in so much junk...We have a "sharing table" where others drop off their goodies to share and I sit right next to it. UGHHHH. So tempting to give in....just keep swimming, just keep swimming. Also, I'm already realizing that I need to go grocery shopping again! I feel like I was just there last weekend...I am going to try and prep some more on Saturday by making "meals to go" or that can be re-heated very quickly! Cheers to the weekend!

Day 5 for me today. Woke up with a banging headache, which is pretty mysterious to me. Still went to the gym and had a mediocre workout but hey, I give myself credit for going.

mcki033, hang in there with Bagel Friday! Sounds like a horrible workplace tradition to me! Remember that you will feel like crap if you do eat that stuff and your hard work so far WILL pay off.

Chef Mike, thanks for the paleo recipe, which I will enjoy when I am done with the Whole 30! And btw: I am also in Rhode Island.

Ariel, I want some of your boundless energy but good to know that someone feels so great this early in.

Food prep is on the list for tomorrow- like eronn, I have to make that a priority to keep sane and compliant.

Yesterday afternoon I was really tired and foggy all of a sudden. Drinking more water really helped. 

It was SO nice to have breakfast (frittata, butternut squash) and lunch (dinner leftovers) prepared this morning. That feeling is going to give me some motivation for more food prep this weekend, since there were several nights this week I was up later than I wanted to be prepping food. Last night, we had to eat dinner quickly before back to school night so I didn't eat the full portions that are recommended - but some of everything (green beans, steak, sweet potato) and it was enough to keep me full. I didn't feel like I needed to finish my plate when we got back, so I took advantage of getting to bed at a good time instead. In the past that would have ended in snacking close to bedtime so I'll call it a win.

We're supposed to be at "kill all the things" on the timeline. I felt good with my workout this morning - but was irritable on my drive to work. Feeling status quo at the moment. How's everyone else doing?

Well it's Day 5, and I'm starting to fade fast. My body doesn't have the sugar to process anymore, so I feel tired. Went to bed last night with a headache, but it was gone when I woke up.

I did successfully make mayo last night, so I made some tuna salad to keep around. Probably will make egg salad this weekend also.

For lunch, I've packed myself a salad with steak tips left over from last night's dinner. Still feeling hungry in between meals, but I resist the urge to snack, and the hunger goes away after a few minutes. (I do keep some pre-packaged almonds in my desk if necessary). Just.......ready for a nap today.

For lunch, I've packed myself a salad with steak tips left over from last night's dinner. Still feeling hungry in between meals, but I resist the urge to snack, and the hunger goes away after a few minutes. (I do keep some pre-packaged almonds in my desk if necessary). Just.......ready for a nap today.

Note that if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), it's completely ok to eat.  :) The recommendation is a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.  So if you have nuts (fat), add fruit, veg and/or a protein.

At the same time, aim to build main meals of protein, veg and fat that keep you satiated for 4-5 hours.

Regarding needing a nap, sounds like you're in sync with the Whole30 timeline

Day 5

No major issues so far.  I've been having some back problems (started before my Whole30) and I feel like they've been a good distraction this week from any other discomfort I'd be feeling from starting my Whole30. 

Not a fan of veggies and so this is not all that easy.  I do love salads, if I can find a dressing I like.  Yes, I'm a picky eater (major gag reflex on lots of veggies - not pleasant).  I have tried a few things again with no success (and have been for some time and still can't find much I can stomach). 

On the search for a compliant dressing.  I am also not a fan of vinegar, so I'm looking for an acceptable ranch alternative.  I've tried a few, but haven't found the right one yet.  Suggestions/recipes are quite welcome.

Also looking for the right breakfast.  I do eat breakfast regularly, but it is my least favorite as I rarely feel like eating much in the morning.  The idea of adding veggies to this time of day kind of makes me nauseous.  (can you tell I probably frustrated my mom when I was growing up).

Making it work and looking forward to finishing strong.

Good Morning and Happy Day 5!!!

Things are going SO much better than I anticipated.  I made a roast in my new pressure cooker last night and it was fabulous!  It took a little longer than I expected, but once I get over the learning curve it will be amazing!

Later in the evening I got really irritable for no known reason, but it passed quickly which I was very thankful for.  Moods have been quite good for both me and my wife.  She has been having a few more blood sugar drops the last 2 days, probably too much insulin and her body still adjusting.  She is on pills and 2 insulins so it is a bit of a learning curve with that too.  She has cheated in the sense of stepping on the scale --- it is motivating her, so I am letting her continue....until i hide it this weekend!

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!  I came in to work forgetting it was bagel friday....UGH.  The smell of toasted bread is a weakness for me.  I just heated up my fritatta and said ha ha....you ain't winning you icky filled bagel!

Day 5

No major issues so far.  I've been having some back problems (started before my Whole30) and I feel like they've been a good distraction this week from any other discomfort I'd be feeling from starting my Whole30. 

Not a fan of veggies and so this is not all that easy.  I do love salads, if I can find a dressing I like.  Yes, I'm a picky eater (major gag reflex on lots of veggies - not pleasant).  I have tried a few things again with no success (and have been for some time and still can't find much I can stomach). 

On the search for a compliant dressing.  I am also not a fan of vinegar, so I'm looking for an acceptable ranch alternative.  I've tried a few, but haven't found the right one yet.  Suggestions/recipes are quite welcome.

Also looking for the right breakfast.  I do eat breakfast regularly, but it is my least favorite as I rarely feel like eating much in the morning.  The idea of adding veggies to this time of day kind of makes me nauseous.  (can you tell I probably frustrated my mom when I was growing up).

Find a way to cook veggies that you like. I find it's all about the seasonings and/or cooking fat you use.  Roasting veggies is quite yummy.

Here is a non-vinegar dressing that I love:

juice of 2 lemons (~ 1/3 cup)

1 tsp compliant dijon mustard

fresh cracked pepper and sea salt to taste

1/3 c olive oil (or more: up to 3/4 c if you want more oil vs. lemon)

1-2 shallots halved and sliced really thin

Mix first 4 ingredients together then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking. Add shallots and let the dressing sit for awhile if you can to infuse the shallot taste into the dressing.

Think of breakfast as "meal 1" and you can eat anything you'd eat at any other time of day. (Google Whole30 non egg breakfast for lost of past forum discussions on this topic or check out this thread of non-traditional breakfasts.)  What about a veggie soup as part of your breakfast?

Hi everyone - especially all you August 24 starters!

It's day 5 and Friday.  My brain is already calling for wine - but I'm going to try Kombucha and/or Club Soda instead - in a wine glass, of course!  I am LOVING the daily newsletter - every morning when I open it, it is exactly what I need to read at that time.  How could they know?  :-)

I love my breakfast casserole (http://paleomg.com/easy-breakfast-casserole/).  I made one batch last Sunday and it has been enough to feed both my husband and I all week - neither of us has eaten breakfast in years.  I follow it with coffee and home-made almond milk (1 cup soaked almonds blended with 4 cups water in my vita mix for 2 minutes and then strained through cheesecloth) that is divine.

I think I'm sleeping better - I may have slept through the night last night...

My morning foot pain is definitely better - I didn't limp and wince as I got out of bed this morning.

I think my ankles are looking quite nice - at least improved!

Our best friends suggested getting together for dinner on Sunday - we invited them to our house so we can cook a Whole 30 meal.  Feels like the best solution for now.

First Whole 30 weekend coming up - let's touch base on Monday!

Moods have been quite good for both me and my wife.  She has been having a few more blood sugar drops the last 2 days, probably too much insulin and her body still adjusting.  She is on pills and 2 insulins so it is a bit of a learning curve with that too.  

Has your wife spoken with her doctor about going on a Whole30?  We feel it's essential for folks on insulin to have a discussion with their doctor beforehand. http://whole30.com/2013/09/talk-to-your-doc-part-1/

Hi everyone - especially all you August 24 starters!

It's day 5 and Friday.  My brain is already calling for wine - but I'm going to try Kombucha and/or Club Soda instead - in a wine glass, of course!  I am LOVING the daily newsletter - every morning when I open it, it is exactly what I need to read at that time.  How could they know?  :-)

I love my breakfast casserole (http://paleomg.com/easy-breakfast-casserole/).  I made one batch last Sunday and it has been enough to feed both my husband and I all week - neither of us has eaten breakfast in years.  I follow it with coffee and home-made almond milk (1 cup soaked almonds blended with 4 cups water in my vita mix for 2 minutes and then strained through cheesecloth) that is divine.

I think I'm sleeping better - I may have slept through the night last night...

My morning foot pain is definitely better - I didn't limp and wince as I got out of bed this morning.

I think my ankles are looking quite nice - at least improved!

Our best friends suggested getting together for dinner on Sunday - we invited them to our house so we can cook a Whole 30 meal.  Feels like the best solution for now.

First Whole 30 weekend coming up - let's touch base on Monday!

Casserole sounds yummy.  What do you use for the breakfast sausage?

Have you tried Dump Ranch (http://www.whole-sisters.com/#!Dump-Ranch/c1v9p/551c04330cf21e26bac67eb2)?  I made it and it turned out great (although green since I added Italian Parsley before blending).  I say it turned out great because it blended and emulsified perfectly.  It is still in my fridge...  While I LOVE mayo, I have a hard time with homemade because of the raw egg...  Haven't eaten any big salads this week, because the thought of that raw egg in the dressing kind of turns me off...  I may go to an oil and lemon juice variety instead.  I did serve the Dump Ranch at dinner one night, and the teens at the table and my husband said it was good.

So it's day 4 for me. I've been feeling pretty good with the whole 30 journey so far and hubby has been really supportive. For most meals he has been completely compliant with me but has made the occasional trade ( so I had spaghetti squash with my meatballs whilst he rustled up some pasta... Watching him grate cheese over his was torture though)

Anyway, I'm not really following the timeline, didn't really experience the hangover on days two and three (although I did get these feelings when I started cutting out the non compliant the week before I started. My mood has been a teeny but temperamental but I think that's mainly because I'm a teacher and I go back to school this week.

Woke up this morning for a personal training session and had breakfast afterwards (no time for a Pre- WO meal- actually I guess I could have got up a little earlier, will try that next time) but then I wasn't at all hungry at lunch time but incredibly thirsty so I've had lots of water to drink, after visiting a friend I came phone and napped for two hours!!! What is wrong with me? Trying to eat a bowl of butternut squash soup now as a late lunch and it is helping me feel hungry...

Hubby is cooking tonight, we had a huge beef brisket roast dinner last night and he's using some of the leftover meet for a beef rendang curry ( Jamie Oliver recipe) quite excited to have one of our regular meals that doesn't feel like it a a diet meal ( although I have to say I've been enjoying all the meals I have had so far). I will be having cauliflower rice with mine.

Great to hear everyone else is doing well on their whole 30 journey! Keep it it up

Of course you can make your own, but if you'd prefer the convenience of just purchasing something, Tessemae's now has a ranch dressing - http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/products/classic-ranch. Looking at the ingredient list I don't see anything non-compliant.  They're in the produce section of Whole Foods, and I've also seen them at my local Safeway (so they might be in other local grocery chains).

Day 5

Hi Fran, hang in there, day 5 is almost over. Not sure if you are a fan of avocados. I make a nice dressing of an avocado, some oil(1/4 cup or a little more) and lemon or lime juice. A bit of salt, pepper and any herbs you like to taste. All ranch dressings have a dairy product as their base, so you will probably not find something with that same mouth feel in an imitation. Best of luck to you on your journey. Chef Mike

Casserole sounds yummy.  What do you use for the breakfast sausage?

I use the "Perfect Sausage" recipe from Whole 30 by Hartwigs (Pg 162) - I use plain ground pork and add onion and spices (sage makes it taste like breakfast sausage to me).  It is so easy and delicious!

Dump Ranch is fantastic! I make a batch every other week or so to put on my salads. It's incredibly easy and delicious.

Here are a few other dressing roundups on the W30 site that might be helpful, too.

http://whole30.com/2014/10/best-whole30-recipes-sauces-dressings-dips-oh/

http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/(has an egg-free ranch, too)

Day 5, feeling fine! Way to go everyone.

Of course you can make your own, but if you'd prefer the convenience of just purchasing something, Tessemae's now has a ranch dressing - http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/products/classic-ranch. Looking at the ingredient list I don't see anything non-compliant.  They're in the produce section of Whole Foods, and I've also seen them at my local Safeway (so they might be in other local grocery chains).

I've looked at my local store.  Guess I need to make a trip to Whole Foods this weekend.

I was very proud of myself today - I had a work retreat that went from lunch to dinner time, then a baseball game after.  I had to pack both a lunch and a dinner since I knew I wouldn't be finding any compliant meals at either place, which wouldn't have been an issue except I knew I wouldn't have access to a microwave either.  That added a bit of a hurdle.

I ate my regular breakfast at home, and the night before made a chicken salad with homemade mayo, a little compliant mustard, lots of chopped celery and some paprika mixed it.  Then I brought raw carrots and - miracle of miracles - they had a side dish that was compliant!  They listed all the ingredients and it was tomato, cucumber, onion, red wine vinegar (I googled this one to make sure it was okay!), jicama (googled this one also!) and lemon juice.  Score!  So I got to add more veggies to my plate.

Dinner was just the chicken salad (again) and the carrots, but I was happy that I was at least able to eat properly.  The baseball game was challenging more because of cravings (smelling my coworkers' beer was hard), than because of actual hunger.  I focused on conversations and watching the game (and not on the food and drink) and left after the fifth inning.

So yes, my pre-planning (and giant ice pack) worked and kept me on track today.

Great job, Eronn.  You faced some really tough obstacles and came out of it like a Pro!  That is what threw me off my first Whole30 on Day 6.  But I started over.  I am going to remember your plan and use it the next time I have a challenge.

Hi everyone!  I started on Monday too!  So, I am about to finish up Day 5!!  I am encouraged because some of my digestive issues have disappeared!  I was at the grocery store yesterday, and the bakery smelled way too sugary!  Yay!  However, I could not go with my family to our favorite happy hour joint- NO Whole30 options available.  Bringing my own food AND avoiding a beer wasn't going to happen.

Going to a funeral tomorrow.  Italian food served afterwards.  Bringing my own meal. 

One concern I have- I don't eat eggs or fish other than canned tuna.  (Isn't that a band? LOL)  So I have been snacking a lot on compliant Larabars (1/day) and almonds (1-2 servings/day).  Worried about extra fat.  Thoughts?

Archived