Joining in!! Start date 8/24

ajburg

Did anyone else LOVE that Bon Jovi video celebrating completion of Day 15?  OMG he was such a doll!  Actually he still is, in my opinion!

First exercise yesterday - walked 3 miles with hubby and our princess chihuahau ("Tif"), a rescue off the streets of Fort Worth, TX.  Also planned all our dinners for the week, shopped, and performed our first "weekly cookup" (ref. Joulwan's Well Fed).  Maybe I do have more energy...

Also noticing that I'm feeling more creative in my business - my mind is bursting with ideas!  Now for the execution part...

Chef Mike, I've decided not to talk much to many people about this challenge at this point.  I've gone down many "eating" paths that have ended in failure.  When we show obvious success, people will likely ask how we've done it.  Then, perhaps, they will be willing to hear.  It's possible that people mostly know that what they are eating/drinking is really bad for them, even slowly killing them, but they don't want to (or don't think they can) make changes.  Negative comments probably come from people most threatened - if they see us making different choices, it makes their own poor choices more obvious.

I have to admit that having my hubby on board with this has made it so much easier for me.  It is a huge help - I can't overstate that.  I'm not sure I could be successful at this without his partnership in it.  My hat is off to those of you going it on your own!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Day 16!  I made it through yesterday's festivities and learned that I really like seltzer water with lime.  I am psyched that I found a total replacement to diet pop- even if the competition is using sucralose now.

I am still very tired.  Maybe because I am up late at night reading.  I can't seem to fall asleep, so I am tired during day.  Also still having a detox rash.  Hoping for the energy boost soon.

Loving harvest time!!  Chicken stir fry tonight with plenty of veggies!  Yes, I will use fat instead of water for cooking.

Wedding band is loose.  Well, the replacement to the one I outgrew.  Also pants a little loose.  Hoping they fall off before next week.

Have a great day 16!

And went to the movie this evening and carried my nuts, and coconut flake mix and did not miss the popcorn!

We saw a movie last weekend too - A Walk in the Woods - carried in my nuts and was fine!  Also, the movie inspired me to take my own walk!

Chef Mike - my husband is semi helpful , he really could benefit from the detox portion of this program ( he is a smoker), but he still does not understand the depth of what Whole30 is, and I have just had to take a strong stance on staying on this path.  I do not talk about it at work - I just eat and go on - Best of Luck - we are almost there, and I think I can stay on this longer than the 30 days. 

Ok fellow Day 16ers.   :D You are all so excited that I may be getting a little depressed.  I am very happy for all of you; just wondering "Where is my energy?"!  Here's what's good for me:  flat belly (thank you Lord), long, strong nails.  Ummmmm, new found cooking skills.  Ummmmm, better sleep most nights but not all.  So that's really good.  And really all in all, those things are good enough that I see myself eating like this 90% of the time after reintro.  

Here's what's not good.  I'm feeling very stressed and down but here's what's been happening.  Sunday some family came to see my son play youth football so naturally I invited them to dinner after.  "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????" is exactly what went through my head as soon as they accepted and I realized I had to make compliant food for a crowd.  Full panic.  Well, I found a menu quickly and prepped the next morning and was feeling confident but still my anxiety was peaked.  Could I actually serve it all on time?  Could I cook it well?  Would they like my picnic even without corn and sweets?  I know, I know, not my problem but this is what my anxiety does.

While at football game which is on field right in big neighborhood, there was an apparent emergency. Many, many sirens and ER vehicles.  I had a pit in my stomach the whole time as we know so many people in the area.  Turns out it was a friend of family and all family and pets are ok but house is completly burned.  Smoker propane burst and blew up back of house.  

So we were so worried and have been trying to help and while everything is ok, our friends will pick up the pieces and be ok, and our family thoroughly enjoyed our picnic, I am exhausted and want the world to stop for a couple days so I can catch up.

Great test to my committment though.  I'll tell ya...... I REALLY wanted to get takeout. :ph34r:  I mean REALLY!

Ok fellow Day 16ers.   :D You are all so excited that I may be getting a little depressed.  I am very happy for all of you; just wondering "Where is my energy?"!  Here's what's good for me:  flat belly (thank you Lord), long, strong nails.  Ummmmm, new found cooking skills.  Ummmmm, better sleep most nights but not all.  So that's really good.  And really all in all, those things are good enough that I see myself eating like this 90% of the time after reintro.  

Here's what's not good.  I'm feeling very stressed and down but here's what's been happening.  Sunday some family came to see my son play youth football so naturally I invited them to dinner after.  "Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????" is exactly what went through my head as soon as they accepted and I realized I had to make compliant food for a crowd.  Full panic.  Well, I found a menu quickly and prepped the next morning and was feeling confident but still my anxiety was peaked.  Could I actually serve it all on time?  Could I cook it well?  Would they like my picnic even without corn and sweets?  I know, I know, not my problem but this is what my anxiety does.

While at football game which is on field right in big neighborhood, there was an apparent emergency. Many, many sirens and ER vehicles.  I had a pit in my stomach the whole time as we know so many people in the area.  Turns out it was a friend of family and all family and pets are ok but house is completly burned.  Smoker propane burst and blew up back of house.  

So we were so worried and have been trying to help and while everything is ok, our friends will pick up the pieces and be ok, and our family thoroughly enjoyed our picnic, I am exhausted and want the world to stop for a couple days so I can catch up.

Great test to my committment though.  I'll tell ya...... I REALLY wanted to get takeout. :ph34r:  I mean REALLY!

Wow, no wonder you've felt stressed & down....!!  :o  :blink: 

Well done on making it through, now be sure to take big deep cleansing breaths, and big tasty bites of some starchy carbs to get you right back out of those doldrums... they'll help, honestly. And don't skimp on the fat for some much needed energy.

Wow lmc!  Thanks for the encouragement!  My mom is here for a few days with her wine and chocolate cookies.  My husband is enjoying a beer with her.  Would love to cave, but will not.  Thanks!

I am also waiting for the energy.

Planning on going mostly W30 after also.  Will do the reintro to see what, if anything bothers me, but will keep most stuff out.

Day 17! I'm staying pretty true to the timeline, maybe lagging a bit because my sweets dreams and cravings were definitely hitting hard over the weekend. Hoping to see some of the tiger blood that's to be expected anytime now. Instead, yesterday I was uncomfortably bloated again and today I woke up with a headache. I'm chalking it up to my cycle because my eating has stayed pretty consistent, and I had gone quite a few days without experiencing that. 

I'm continuing to adjust our regular family meals as needed for me. Last night we had homemade sloppy joes which everyone likes. I ate mine on top of a baked sweet potato with spaghetti squash. Having both the SP and squash pre-cooked in the fridge made it easy for me to be compliant. We also grilled some chicken breasts over the weekend and I tried my hand at pan-seared salmon which was delicious. I'm definitely eating more seafood than usual this W30 which is awesome. 

Ugh.  Need some advice gang.  I am so lethargic and unhappy.  Could be flipside of stress of weekend but I'm thinking not.  I feel drugged.  My son's anger issues are back too.  He is cranky and low energy too.  This stinks.  I think we must be missing something in the diet.  I am not hungry.  Actually, I feel nauseaus when I think of my food options.  I honestly think pototoes have been bad for me.  Is this possible?  

I just really feel like crap.  I have the never ending to do list for which many have become MUST's.  I am going to have to go for a full caffien cup of coffee (I normally do decaf) just to get out the door.

Yesterday:

M1 - burger on slice of sweet potato topped with sauteed spinach and fried egg.

workout (1 hour pilates)- no PW meal

M2 - egg salad lettuce wrap, sliced apple with nut butter drizzle, potato salad, cole slaw

M3 - small salad, small sweet pot. soup (forced it.  Not hungry at all)

Today:

M1- (very late cause just no interest and feel sick)  same as yesterday but added scoop of guacamole.  Feel slightly better after eating.

Ugh.  Need some advice gang.  I am so lethargic and unhappy.  Could be flipside of stress of weekend but I'm thinking not.  I feel drugged.  My son's anger issues are back too.  He is cranky and low energy too.  This stinks.  I think we must be missing something in the diet.  I am not hungry.  Actually, I feel nauseaus when I think of my food options.  I honestly think pototoes have been bad for me.  Is this possible?  

I just really feel like crap.  I have the never ending to do list for which many have become MUST's.  I am going to have to go for a full caffien cup of coffee (I normally do decaf) just to get out the door.

Yesterday:

M1 - burger on slice of sweet potato topped with sauteed spinach and fried egg.

workout (1 hour pilates)- no PW meal

M2 - egg salad lettuce wrap, sliced apple with nut butter drizzle, potato salad, cole slaw

M3 - small salad, small sweet pot. soup (forced it.  Not hungry at all)

Today:

M1- (very late cause just no interest and feel sick)  same as yesterday but added scoop of guacamole.  Feel slightly better after eating.

Sorry you're feeling cruddy.

First, are you drinking enough water? We recommend 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Second, I wonder if you're getting enough protein and veg variety?  

- Try swapping in other proteins besides beef and eggs.

- Maybe instead of potatoes/sweet potatoes at every meal, swap in some cooked greens or other cooked veggies?  Try backing off the lettuce and raw veggies, as those can cause digestive distress for some.

Third, are you getting enough fats in at each meal?

ETA: How is your current level of stress, and how much sleep are you getting nightly?

lmc,

sorry you are feeling miserable.  Truthfully, I am still psyched about the program but also feel lethargic and very tired.  I don't eat eggs or fish (except tuna) so my meals look like this:

M1- turkey patties and apple or plum with handful of sunflower seeds or almonds

M2- either beef veggie soup or salad with a protein, celery w/almond butter

M3- chicken stir fry

I drink probably close to a gallon of water a day and herbal tea.  Morning w/caf black tea.

lmc- makes me feel better I'm not the only one missing the energy.

lmc,

sorry you are feeling miserable.  Truthfully, I am still psyched about the program but also feel lethargic and very tired.  I don't eat eggs or fish (except tuna) so my meals look like this:

M1- turkey patties and apple or plum with handful of sunflower seeds or almonds

M2- either beef veggie soup or salad with a protein, celery w/almond butter

M3- chicken stir fry

I drink probably close to a gallon of water a day and herbal tea.  Morning w/caf black tea.

lmc- makes me feel better I'm not the only one missing the energy.

I'm not seeing any starchy veggies here. My first recommendation would be adding at least a fist-sized serving of starchy veg daily.

Your meal 1 is missing vegetables. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

It's hard to tell protein portion sizes: be sure you're getting 1-2 palms of protein per meal. A palm is the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand.

Having nuts/nut butters and seeds twice a day for fats is a lot. We recommend both to be limited as fat options on a Whole30. Try swapping in other fats instead.

Salad/celery may fill you up initially but doesn't tend to be satiating.  Try switching to all cooked veggies.

When you're drinking a gallon of water daily, that would work if you're close to 256 lbs 128 lbs. If you weigh more than that, increase your water proportionally so you're drinking 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, daily.

Also, how is your current stress level of how many hours of sleep are you getting each night?

Ah, Day 17.

OK, let's talk about food boredom for a second. I have found that the key to keeping a eating plan alive is to keep it interesting. You can take the same 4 or 5 ingredients that you've been eating for the last 2 weeks and change them up to make the pallet think, yum, not too bad. Fortunately, the book comes with many good recipes to make this happen.

Sauces are the main instrument used by chefs to impart flavor, texture and appearance changes to a wide range of common dishes. Turning a grilled, broiled, steamed or seared piece of protein into something wondrous. Added to some lightly steamed vegetables tossed in a pan, the right sauce and seasoning transmit the fat portion and make the dish sumptuous. Curry, chimichurri, garlic oleo l, Dijon and vinegar, all can help bring new flavors and mouth feels to your food. Home made mayonnaise is of course one of the best examples of this.

Stir-frying a set of ingredients cut smaller for faster cooking is another good way to change it up a bit. The fat used becomes better incorporated in a stir-fry dish.

Keeping it exciting doesn't take a lot more time, but it sure gives you a lot more flavor. Enjoy, 13 days to go.

Mike

That must be 1/2 oz per lb lean body mass, right? Cause your asking me to drink 16 glasses of water in addition to 9 or more servings of veg which are 75-80 % water. Unless your doing a lot of work outdoors or really strenuous work outs, you'd be stripping the electrolytes faster than you could replace them. Symptoms being, grogginess, fatigue, dizziness and just plain run down. A nutritionist would be telling you that if you are going to be drinking and eliminating that much water in a day, you will need to replace 4-5 grams of sodium (salt being only half sodium) and 3 grams of potassium daily. This situation becomes worse if the person isn't taking in enough starchy carbs which are water binding.

That must be 1/2 oz per lb lean body mass, right? Cause your asking me to drink 16 glasses of water in addition to 9 or more servings of veg which are 75-80 % water. Unless your doing a lot of work outdoors or really strenuous work outs, you'd be stripping the electrolytes faster than you could replace them. Symptoms being, grogginess, fatigue, dizziness and just plain run down. A nutritionist would be telling you that if you are going to be drinking and eliminating that much water in a day, you will need to replace 4-5 grams of sodium (salt being only half sodium) and 3 grams of potassium daily. This situation becomes worse if the person isn't taking in enough starchy carbs which are water binding.

No, it's 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, as also recommended in this WebMD article

As the article discusses, hot climate and more activity, you'd be on the higher edge of that range. Cooler climate and more sedentary, lower end.  For most people new to a Whole30, they are substantially increasing their vegetable intake, and consuming this amount of water also helps to keep things moving, per se.

Another good hydration guideline, as discussed in this Mayo Clinic article  is to notice the color of your urine. You want it clear or light in color.

We always advocate salting food on a Whole30, especially for those previously eating packaged/processed foods, to ensure you're getting adequate amounts of sodium.  Potassium gets discussed here a lot too, when folks complain of cramping.  We initially remind people of sodium intake, and then recommend potassium-rich food sources like dark leafy greans, potatoes, acorn squash, salmon, avocados, mushrooms and bananas.

Happy Day 17.  Still hanging in there.  Not noticing a lot of changes (although I didn't have a sugar habit before I started).  Had been having some swelling in my lower legs and ankles before, and that's gone.  Definitely pleased about that. 

Finally found a dressing that works (Dump Ranch - thanks for the suggestion a few days ago).  Still not finding many veggies I can stomach, but at least I can keep up with dark leafy veggies now. 

I'm not seeing any starchy veggies here. My first recommendation would be adding at least a fist-sized serving of starchy veg daily.

Your meal 1 is missing vegetables. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Aim for 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

It's hard to tell protein portion sizes: be sure you're getting 1-2 palms of protein per meal. A palm is the length, width and thickness of the palm of your hand.

Having nuts/nut butters and seeds twice a day for fats is a lot. We recommend both to be limited as fat options on a Whole30. Try swapping in other fats instead.

Salad/celery may fill you up initially but doesn't tend to be satiating.  Try switching to all cooked veggies.

When you're drinking a gallon of water daily, that would work if you're close to 128 lbs. If you weigh more than that, increase your water proportionally so you're drinking 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, daily.

Also, how is your current stress level of how many hours of sleep are you getting each night?

Hi GF Chris,

I'm not a mathematician, but wouldn't drinking a gallon daily be good if you were 256 pounds as a gallon is 128oz?  

I'm not 128 pounds, but if I used this math I would be drinking a barrel/trough of water and not sure that is even humanly possible.  ;)

Good Morning and Happy Day 17!!!!!

All is going good on this front.  I too had a bit of lethargy/boredom/stress the last few days. I am taking it as being part of the transition to Tiger Blood.  I am SOOO ready for tiger blood all the time!  I feel pretty good today and had more energy yesterday than before, so hopefully I am in transition.

My wife is doing amazing!  She has cut back on her meds and insulin, lost a bunch of weight and inches and is feeling so much better.  She is bored with the food, doesn't feel hungry and wants to eat "something good" so it is a bit of a harder transition.  She is sticking thru it and keeping motivated by weighing herself and analyzing her NSV's.  I know weighing is not the best thing to do, but it is also not the worst.  If that's what it takes to keep her going I am all for it!  She has surprised me beyond my wildest dreams of going on this journey with me and sticking with it.  :D

Hope you all have a FANTASTIC day!!!!

Hi GF Chris,

I'm not a mathematician, but wouldn't drinking a gallon daily be good if you were 256 pounds as a gallon is 128oz?  

I'm not 128 pounds, but if I used this math I would be drinking a barrel/trough of water and not sure that is even humanly possible.  ;)

Actually, a gallon = 64 oz.  :), which means a gallon would be appropriate for a 128 lb person, given our guidance of consuming 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Actually, a gallon = 64 oz.  :), which means a gallon would be appropriate for a 128 lb person, given our guidance of consuming 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Actually, a quart is 32 oz, a half gallon is 64 oz and a gallon is 128 oz. All water recommendations by medical doctors and nutritionists are based on pounds of lean body weight. Otherwise, a 400 pound person would have to drink 25 glasses of water per day. 8 to 12 glasses a day of water in addition to food yields close to 18 glasses of water per day. 8-10 glasses a day is more than enough to keep your urine quite diluted.

Archived