Hormone question

KarynL

It's that TOM, and mine has apparently returned to normal for the first time in three years, and I find that I have the munchies.  I eat the same quality meals I have throughout the whole 30 and yet now I'm typically hungry between breakfast and lunch (which is a pretty large break of time - between 6am and 12pm).   Does this mean I need to eat more or that my meals aren't the right make up?  (everything is cooked in clarified butter and I dump the contents of the pan on the plate).  The last two days I've had

M1 - 3 egg omelet with mushrooms, spinach, green onion and tomatoes

M2 left over steak with mushroom and onion

M3 steak with mushroom and onion and some left over potatoes

M1 - same as day before M1

M2 - left over steak with mushroom and onion

M3 - same as M1

Today

M1 - same

snack - piece of pork belly and a handful grapes

I have hungry days and not-so-hungry days.  I think that's normal if you are a woman.  For your M1, try adding another meat along w your three eggs.  I find I do much better adding a few ounces of steak or half to a whole chicken sausage.  It's okay to eat more if you are truly hungry.

I'd also add another veggie to M2 and M3.  Onions and mushrooms are wonderful, but you need some variety and something with fiber.  I also find it's helpful to eat starchy veggies like sweet potato when I am hormonal.  Okay truth - I eat them EVERY day and sometimes three times a day if I need them.  I think you will find that helps settle your hormones down.

• Administrators

Julie is right, we are not linear and static. Hunger and need for nutrients changes. Lots of women find that they need to eat a lot more in the week leading up to their period and often the week of. This is fine, honor your body's signals, it's going through a huge hormonal shift (as much as we are taught that our periods are no big deal, physiologically they really are a big deal). You might also want to increase the amount of starchy veggie as needed in order to keep cravings at bay and moods level. In the week leading up to and the first two days of my period I have a serving of starchy veggie at every meal. The rest of the month I'm good with around one per day on average.

Go ahead and eat. :)

Thank you Ladyshanny.  It was funny, when I read JulieP's post, I was so trying to follow the rules, when she said you can eat when you're hungry, it's like someone laying common sense in front of you and you're like, oh yeah, it does make sense to eat when your hungry!  I know how my period effects me, it's been a while, but I know, and it's ok to plan for and eat for it! 

Archived