Reinitro Time

KarynL

Finished my Whole 30 yesterday and started reintro today with dairy.  Butter and cheese, no perceptible effect. Ice cream however, immediate bloating and uncomfortable feeling, still even 2 hours later.  Had some chores to do after and felt kind of draggy and tired.  Don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye to ice cream forever, but the next batch would have to be really, really good ice cream, or what Melissa H. describes as "worth it."  I'm going to wait 3 days then try non-gluten grains, then legumes, then gluten grains.

Karyn, I did dairy yesterday, for Day 7 of reintro. Cheese was fine, but after ice cream I was moody and slept horribly! I don't think I can rationalize more than a bite or two of ice cream moving forward. That was the kiddie size, for goodness sake!

• Moderators

One thing to consider is that ice cream isn't ever just dairy -- there's always at least sugar as well, and if you had store bought stuff, possibly all kinds other things, depending on brand and flavor.

It might also be that if ice cream were the only dairy you had all day, your reaction might be different, if it's more related to the quantity of dairy consumed than to the type.

Whollyme, moodiness and bad sleep might be dairy -- but both those reactions are pretty common with sugar in general as well, so watch for them if you reintroduce other sugary items.

Whollyme, I hear you girl!  I put mine in a coffee cup, so it was two scoops! I woke up bloated this morning and I still feel uncomfortable.  Pretty much I was at the point where I was thinking the only way I'm going to have ice cream again is if it's like the best ice cream you can possibly get and only then if I decide that these symptoms are worth it!

Shannon, I did think about that initially, i.e. I was going to do a dairy reintro and then a separate reintro for ice cream because my favorite is mint chocolate chip and the additional ingredients might be in play, but then I decided to just do it in one day.  I wasn't planning on doing a specific sugar day, but maybe I will after I finish everything else to see what effect that has, though I'm a little bit scared about that because I was the definition of junk food junky pre Whole30.

Just went to check my ice cream's ingredients, it looks like it's all natural flavors but it also contains soy, so I muddied the waters a little bit.  (Graeter's Hand Crafted Mint Chocolate Chip).  So I'm going to redo dairy after a couple of days without the ice cream and see what happens.

Instead of doing a formal reintroduction, I think I'm going to do a slow roll, which, as I understand it is reintroducing things as the occasion comes up.  Pre Whole 30 I was eating processed food for breakfast in the form of a breakfast muffin or breakfast bowl, chocolate and pepsi during the work day, with the occasional salad from the salad bar to be healthy, and then processed food for dinner, usually frozen pizza, quesadillas or chinese.  When it comes to reintro, most of the food groups I either didn't eat much of before (legumes, alcohol) or only ate occasionally.  So I'm not going to post much here any more, though I'm going to still read other peoples posts because I learn a lot from what people write, and post questions when I have them.  I'm comfortable right now just following a mostly Whole 30 way of eating.

Another thought on the diary. If you had butter and a hard cheese, these are both low lactose dairy items. Ice cream, however, is a high lactose dairy item. Maybe try another dairy day in the future using only low or only high. You may be able to pin down whether it's lactose or something else.

Archived