Questions

Seafarer

Not so much Troubleshooting as tweaking...

1. Could someone please check my log to see if there are any tweaks or suggestions? Goal is optimum health, full-scale energy, reduction in joint pain (have seen decent reductions), and elimination of tinnitus (no reduction yet, although it did happen on my last W30). Weight loss is always a goal but I assume that will come in time... not my main focus for now.
- Vegetables… usually at least a cup for M1, two or three for both M2 & M3. The yellow & green beans are both string beans... more pod than bean. I pick them at a slightly immature stage so the seed part hasn't developed... they are tastier that way (and preserve better).
- Fruit… when eaten, I put it at the beginning of the meal so I don’t end with a sweet taste & think to myself "more of that".
- Protein… usually 3 eggs or 1.5 palm-size. Some days slightly less b/c I haven't been careful enough with building in variety & I'm sick of what's staring back at me from my fridge.
- Sleep… usually a solid 5 to 6.5 hours, mainly b/c I have to get up for a bathroom break before I feel ready to wake up. Definitely feeling waterlogged here. If I get less than 7 hours of sleep I go back to bed & at least close my eyes until the 7 is up. I suspect I am drinking most of my water too late in the day. If I reach mid afternoon & realize I don’t yet have enough water, is it better to get the water in, or aim for the solid sleep?

- Water... tough one for me. My starting weight was 194 & on my last W30 I lost 12 pounds during the month, so I should be drinking 96 oz a day. Blech. Club soda & tea & flavouring the water with lime help, as does carrying a water bottle in the car & on the garden cart. But still. I drink water & feel like I'm sloshing. 
- Stress…. Virtually none. Occasionally I take on too many things, but try to break it into parts & get a bit off the list each day.
- Activity… when I say “garden” with no specified time, that usually means I am harvesting or tidying or picking up apples or some such non-couch-potato activity, usually for 2 to 5 hours, but it’s not directed activity & it isn’t usually sweat-inducing. "Yoga/weights" means stretching-type yoga (for lower back issues) with weights thrown in either as an addition or in between stretches. Not usually sweat-inducing. "Mowing" and "raking" and "hoeing" are definitely sweat-inducing, mainly b/c I don't enjoy them so I hustle to get it finished. Ha!

2. I have recently noticed that starchy vegs are recommended as a daily addition, usually for M3. I don’t suppose zucchini (summer squash) counts as a starchy vegetable? Mostly I see potatoes, sweet potatoes, plantains (I don’t grow plantains & therefore don’t eat them) listed as starchy vegs. Do things like carrots & beets & other root vegetables, also count as starchy vegs? How about pumpkin? 

3. Coffee…. Slowly switching to decaf. I don’t suppose coffee (either regular or decaf) counts as water? (I’m reaching here! :) )

4. Supplements... Still taking calcium & magnesium, but have dropped the Vit D for the summer since I am outdoors for hours a day. 

All advice & suggestions greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

I'll go check your log but to answer a couple of your questions.

Zucchini are not starchy but carrots, beets, rutabaga, turnip etc are.

Coffee does not count as water, nice try. ;)

I've noticed late in the day surrounding water also and I do not power-slam water just to make up my total. I will usually drink if I'm thirsty and then try to do better the next day. For myself, I need four of my large water bottle to get enough water. I have a coffee in the morning and then when I get to work I set a timer for 2 hours. During the time I'm at work (7 - 330) I drink one bottle every two hours. That way I'm done well before bed time and it's not as onerous to have to finish one vessel in two hours.

I'll go and find your log but in your run down above I don't see added fat. Are you adding it to your meals?

Zucchini are not starchy but carrots, beets, rutabaga, turnip etc are.

Coffee does not count as water, nice try. ;)

I've noticed late in the day surrounding water also and I do not power-slam water just to make up my total. I will usually drink if I'm thirsty and then try to do better the next day. For myself, I need four of my large water bottle to get enough water. I have a coffee in the morning and then when I get to work I set a timer for 2 hours. During the time I'm at work (7 - 330) I drink one bottle every two hours. That way I'm done well before bed time and it's not as onerous to have to finish one vessel in two hours.

I'll go and find your log but in your run down above I don't see added fat. Are you adding it to your meals?

Thanks for the info on the starchy vegs. I'd say that I am getting enough (too much?) then, but perhaps I should aim to have them more at M3 rather than whenever I fancy them. ??

Too bad about the coffee.  :D

A timer for water is a good idea. Mostly I am outside & wouldn't hear the timer, but I will set it anyway and when I come inside my clock will say "End" and that should be my reminder. ("What was I cooking... ???" I will wonder. :) ) Might work.

Fats... yes. fat is included. I have twice been caught short on the fat side, when I was out somewhere. The first time I had a spoonful of coconut cream as soon as I got home, and yesterday, in anticipation, I grabbed the spoonful prior to going out. My poor grocery store... they seldom have compliant coconut milk or coconut cream in stock, but when they do, it mostly all goes in my cart. Coconut cream, ghee & mayo are all new wonderful things. Still learning about avocados & nut oils.

Thanks for the reply!

Archived