eating out with my grandparents

dgthorsen

I eat lunch weekly with my grandparents, something I don't want to give up, considering they are in their late 80s and I relish the time with them. I live in a very small rural town. Mostly diners, supper clubs and bars for restaurants. We normally go to a place that serves breakfast all day. Am I safe to eat over easy eggs, american fries (essentially sauteed red potatoes) and bacon?

I eat lunch weekly with my grandparents, something I don't want to give up, considering they are in their late 80s and I relish the time with them. I live in a very small rural town. Mostly diners, supper clubs and bars for restaurants. We normally go to a place that serves breakfast all day. Am I safe to eat over easy eggs, american fries (essentially sauteed red potatoes) and bacon?

I'm afraid the answer is no on all 3 counts.

Over easy eggs would be likely cooked in an off plan cooking oil.  The only safe eggs to order out are hard boiled or poached.

Sauteed red potatoes - same issue with cooking oil and whatever seasonings they used.

Bacon - it's really tricky to get compliant bacon at a restaurant.

If you can get hard boiled or poached eggs with some fresh fruit, sliced tomatoes (or compliant salad - bring your own dressing) and black coffee or tea, that would be my recommendation. 

• Moderators

I'm afraid the answer is no on all 3 counts.

Over easy eggs would be likely cooked in an off plan cooking oil.  The only safe eggs to order out are hard boiled or poached.

Sauteed red potatoes - same issue with cooking oil and whatever seasonings they used.

I'm confused... the rules say that for dining out, the rule on oils (aside from Soy) are relaxed so that people CAN dine out... 

So the eggs would be fine, as long as they're not cooked in soy oil and the potatoes if she asks for them to be made without seasoning (which if they're cubed red potatoes shouldn't be a problem) would also be compliant.

I'm confused... the rules say that for dining out, the rule on oils (aside from Soy) are relaxed so that people CAN dine out... 

So the eggs would be fine, as long as they're not cooked in soy oil and the potatoes if she asks for them to be made without seasoning (which if they're cubed red potatoes shouldn't be a problem) would also be compliant.

Most breakfast places I go to use butter as the default cooking fat or a cooking spray with soy lecithin in it.   That, along with the risk of a restaurant using soybean oil or a olive/soybean oil mix, was my rationale for stating that easy over eggs would not be a good choice to ensure compliance. Hence my recommendation for poached or hard boiled eggs which require no cooking fat.

• Moderators

Most breakfast places I go to use butter as the default cooking fat or a cooking spray with soy lecithin in it.   That, along with the risk of a restaurant using soybean oil or a olive/soybean oil mix, was my rationale for stating that easy over eggs would not be a good choice to ensure compliance. Hence my recommendation for poached or hard boiled eggs which require no cooking fat.

Oh, okay. But if she was to ask what they use and it was something compliant, it would be fine, so the recommendation to ask would be the most important thing.

The breakfast place I go to uses no seasoning on the potatoes if you ask and they cook in canola, so that would be fine.

Archived