Chez Julie Whole30 Round 2 Log - 10/4/15 Start

chezjulie

I'm starting my second Whole30 today. I have one caveat - I'm having a difficult health problem and if the Whole30 makes me feel too terrible, I will postpone it until the problem is better controlled. I'm assuming that the Whole30 won't be that rough this time because I know how much to eat (lots!) and my body's adjusted to the foods, but who knows? 

I started my first Whole30 on April 26th. It ended up being a Faux30 because I knowingly ate soy marinade and decided to keep going. I also got bronchitis in the middle of the 30 days, was put on antibiotics (which kill a lot of your good bacteria) and as a result decided to extend to a Faux39. By the end of the 39 days, I had lost 7 pounds and 3 inches off my waist. My cholesterol dropped by 30 points. I was eating vegetables like they were going out of style (and continue to do so). Perhaps most importantly, I no longer felt like I was a slave to carbs and sugar. My reintroduction didn't turn up any issues with grains, soy, legumes, or dairy. (It happens to some of us! And I had tried cutting gluten before with no changes).

But fast forward 3 months. I'm back to drinking diet sodas (though not quite as many). I'm back to drinking iced soy lattes (which contain both sugar and carageenan). I'm back to eating chocolate candy and sometimes a cookie. I'm back to having the occasional carb-y breakfast. Consequently I've gained back much of the weight I lost. It's a bummer, and not good for my current or future health. (On the positive side, I do still stick to the template for many meals).

So that's my story. The fridge is stocked - boy, is it! I'm participating in a walking challenge at work. My Whole30 comrades WholeMama623 and Dnnasttn are already several days down the path successfully. And I've got a plan for an out-of-town car trip later this week. Let's go!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D1M2   ground beef w/homemade taco seasoning, jicama tortillas*, grilled peppers & onions, avocado slices, salsa, & lettuce, red grapes

*When I went to the grocery for a few last things, they had jicama "tortillas" in the produce section. I was so excited! Jicama is a crispy, starchy round root vegetable common in Texas, and they had sliced it very thin. It inspired tonight's dinner.

D3M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, 1/2 banana, Justin's Almond Butter, coffee w/coconut milk

D3M2   rosemary chicken breast, baby spinach, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, Tessamae's Lemon Garlic Dressing

D3M3   tuna fish, 2 Bubbie's pickles, 1/2 sweet potato, red grapes, pumpkin seeds, rest of the Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   Didn't feel quite up to composing a full breakfast this morning so I did my best. I really like grilled chicken breasts, but we don't have a grill so I bake them and they're just not as good. This one was oversized, too, and kind of put me off.

Feelings:   Proud of myself for getting back in gear, but bad headache tonight.

Ho-ly crap!

I am staying at the Hilton Park Cities in Dallas for a few days. I called ahead to ask about the ingredients in their sausage (mainly wanting to avoid sugar, carageenan, MSG, and sulfites) to find out if I could order it with breakfast or not. They transferred me to their Executive Chef, who is actually going to MAKE ME A SAUSAGE. In fact, he's going to make me two sausages - a chicken one the first day and a pork one the second day. He also invited me to meet him.  :)

That level of service is amazing to me. 

D4M1   2 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mustard, red grapes, coffee w/coconut milk

D4S1    Larabar

D4M2   2 baked chicken pieces in olive oil, broccoli

D4M3   chicken breast, baby spinach, strawberries, avocado, EVOO & bv, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, Gingerberry Kombucha

Ho-ly crap!

I am staying at the Hilton Park Cities in Dallas for a few days. I called ahead to ask about the ingredients in their sausage (mainly wanting to avoid sugar, carageenan, MSG, and sulfites) to find out if I could order it with breakfast or not. They transferred me to their Executive Chef, who is actually going to MAKE ME A SAUSAGE. In fact, he's going to make me two sausages - a chicken one the first day and a pork one the second day. He also invited me to meet him.  :)

That level of service is amazing to me. 

WOw!!! that's amazing!

D5M1 2 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mustard, banana, coffee w/coconut milk

D5M2 2 hard boiled eggs, celery & carrot sticks, Honeycrisp apple, Larabar

Made it to Big D and still compliant! I brought a cooler with hb eggs, pickles, olives, coconut milk, fruit, veggies, etc. and that worked out well. I think we're eating in the hotel tonight and their menu is kind of confusing but I'll figure out something.

D5M3 Steak, sweet potato purée, steamed vegetables, black olives

I did my best ordering at dinner - a filet minus the demiglace sauce, plus sides that I requested from other dishes on the menu, I asked for roasted butternut squash, but the waiter asked me if sweet potato would be okay. It came out puréed, and tasted suspiciously creamy. I went ahead and hoped for the best and ate about half of it because I don't do well without enough starchy carbs.hopefully it was compliant.

D6M1 2 chicken, garlic, & herb sausage patties, 2 eggs & potatoes cooked in oil, fruit cup, coffee w/coconut milk

My special Whole30 sausage was deliciously fragrant and pretty tasty. I got to meet the Executive Chef and the Sous Chef. Pretty hilarious to get such special attention. This must be how celebrities feel. :-)

My one fail is that I left my can of coconut milk on the table and they (quite understandably) tossed it. I guess I will have black coffee with my designer sausage tomorrow.

D8M1   ground beef, pasta sauce, green beans, Honeycrisp apple w/almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

D8M2   3 hard boiled eggs, salad (cabbage, bell pepper strips, mushrooms, carrots, beets, sunflower seeds w/EVOO & acv)

D8M3   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mustard, green beans, 1/2 Honeycrisp apple, Gingerberry Kombucha

Whoo-hoo! I'm already into Week 2. So far I would say it has been easier since I know what I'm doing. However since I just got back from a short vacation, I didn't do any kind of cook-up this weekend, which may prove to be problematic.

Hope everyone else is doing great.  :P 

D9S1   mixed nuts

D9M3   pork carnitas, guacamole, sugar snap peas, Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   Pretty good food day. Made a trip to Trader Joe's to stock up.

Feeliings:   I felt edgy today. It could have been due to other things, though.

D10M1   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mustard, Cruciferous Crunch (greens), coffee w/coconut milk

D10M2   tuna fish, baby spinach, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, dill pickle, EVOO & bv, banana 

D10S1   2 hard boiled eggs, Gingerberry Kombucha

D10S2   pork carnitas, avocado w/hot sauce, pumpkin w/coconut flakes, mixed nuts

Food: It's been going pretty good! This weekend I am attending a (casual) wedding reception so that's going to be tough. I guess I will take my own food and plan some mantras to get me through.

Feelings: Having an asthma flareup.  :(

I just can't bring myself to eat canned tuna or salmon! Lol... used to a lot. Still haven't made the mayo yet, though. I've wanted to pick up an immersion blender. Could have ordered one on amazon and had it by now!

Keep up the good work! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! 

Pumpkin with coconut? Sounds interesting. Does it taste ok without sweetener?

Archived