Chez Julie Whole30 Round 2 Log - 10/4/15 Start

chezjulie

D21M1   4 turkey sausage patties, potatoes, onions, & peppers in oil, strawberries, cashew pieces, EVOO, 1/2 Mystic Mango Kombucha

D21M2   lettuce mix, shredded chicken marinated in olive oil & oregano, tomatoes, avocado, EVOO & balsamic vinegar, coffee w/coconut milk

D21S1   raw almonds, pecans, & pistachio nuts (hearty serving)

Food:   I don't think my lunch salad held me well enough. Hence a big snack of nuts out of the bag. Oh, well... onward.

Flow:   Went to dance class this morning.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D21M3   leftover salad w/shredded chicken

D21M4   1 1/2 kale & balsamic chicken sausage, Applegate hot dog, mustard, sauerkraut, fruit cup, Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   I've been a little light on the non-starchy veggies the last couple of days. I will work on that this week.

D21S2   1/2 Larabar

D22M1   chocolate chili, EF Asian Blend vegetables, & baked potato mixed together, 1/2 Larabar, coffee w/coconut milk

Food:   I pumped up my oily chocolate chili with a bunch of vegetables and some leftover baked potato and it was much better. I also forgot that this chili improves over a few days. Still think I will try a new chili recipe.

What was up with me being so hungry yesterday? Four meals and two snacks? I guess it was the lack of filling vegetables... iceberg and romaine lettuce mix at lunch and a little sauerkraut at dinner just didn't do it.

So how's everybody else doing?

D22M2   chocolate chili, EF Asian Blend vegetables, sweet potato w/ghee

D22S1   raw almonds, pecans, & pistachio nuts (hearty serving), Larabar

Food:   I'm trapped inside by the bad weather in Texas and having carb cravings from the steroids, but hopefully this will be my last day on steroids and I won't be tempted to snack do much.

D22M3   chocolate chili, steamed cauliflower, broccoli, & carrots w/EVOO, small sweet potato w/ghee, Gingerberry Kombucha, coconut flakes

Food:   I ordered something to be delivered for dinner but they messed up my order, so... chocolate chili again! For the third time today  :(

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I just made a chili that I liked.  Its nothing crazy or super special... but tasty :)

http://www.laurafuentes.com/paleo-chili-recipe-all-meat-veggie/

I sautéed the onions and then added the meat (ours is lean - from our skinny cows :) - otherwise I'd probably drain it), added spices then tomatoes (I did 32 oz of diced with 2 tbsp tomato paste).  I let that cook for an hour or so then I added the carrots and zucchini and cooked it for a little longer.  Then I added the peppers and just turned off the stove but covered the pot and let it cool on its own.  Veggies stayed crunchy.

I love the chocolate chili and you are right, it gets better after a few days sitting in the fridge! The last time we made it, we sautéed summer squash and put it in and it was REALLY good.

I am all compliant today, although not really doing a whole30. However, I am trying to stick to the rules as much as I can!

Thanks for the chili recipe, littleg! I think I would probably prefer a chili that already has some veggies mixed into it like that.

D23M1   hamburger, winter squash w/coconut oil & pps, 1/2 banana, coffee w/coconut milk

D23M2   tuna fish, avocado, baby carrots, kiwi slices

D23S1   Brazil nuts, 3 coconut date rolls

D23M3   roast chicken, winter squash, Brussels sprouts w/EVOO & garlic, Gingerberry Kombucha

Feelings:   Today it's all about the feelings. I was feeling fantastic this morning, and then partway through the day I started feeling really icky. There has been some very changeable weather in Texas lately, and it's affecting my lungs and sinuses. So I had to pop one more oral steroid today, and it is making me grumpy and hungry.

I also had a Whole30 crisis of faith today. I was very concerned about today's news that the World Health Organization has reported that processed meats cause cancer. I eat a lot more processed meat and red meat since starting my first Whole30. You all know about my relationship with Applegate hot dogs, right? Before the Whole30 I ate more beans, tofu, Greek yogurt, pasta, and other non-red meat foods. What really upset me though was that the Whole30 leaders' and moderators' responses to the news was very glib. "Oh, studies are biased" and "everyone has an agenda." I mean, we're talking about the World Health Organization and Lancet magazine here, not the Hot Dog Makers Association of America. I was really upset about it. The Hartwigs would have us not eat anything that has even a speck of dairy or MSG in it, but if the WHO says that there is conclusive evidence that processed meats cause colorectal cancer, we're not supposed to worry about it because "studies are biased." But the Whole30/Whole9, which is a privately owned business that makes money from selling books and T-shirts, is not going to have any bias? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I recommend that people inform themselves about the report, discuss it with their doctor, and make decisions based on a variety of health factors. That's what I plan to do. Some medical professionals are saying there is a lot of reason for concern, and some are saying that the risk is not that elevated, but you should probably cut back on red meat and only have processed foods like hot dogs or bacon as a treat once a month. (And BTW it doesn't matter if the meat source is originally factory farmed or grass fed for it to be carcinogenic when smoked or otherwise processed). So my plan for now is to stick with Whole30 eating because I think the risk of my getting diabetes is much greater and more immediate than my risk of getting colorectal cancer.

However I am going to make some switches so that I am not eating red meat every day. (Fortunately I have a package of turkey hot dogs in the fridge that I was going to try anyway). I will plan to keep doing hot dogs, eggs, or sausage for Meal 1 but make it turkey sausage, continue to have a salad with tuna or chicken breast for most of my lunches, and switch it up more at dinner between red meat (beef, lamb, or pork) and seafood or chicken or (after the Whole30) a vegetarian protein like beans. (I've also been thinking that I would like to reintroduce a meatless meal once a week and see how it goes).

D24M1   2 Applegate turkey hot dogs, Brussels sprouts w/EVOO & garlic, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pps, coffee w/coconut milk

D24M2   grilled chicken breast, baby spinach, grape tomatoes, olives, strawberries, Tessamae's Lemon Garlic Dressing

Food:   The turkey hot dogs weren't nearly as good as the beef ones.  :(

Julie, I read your posts last night and have debated whether to say anything or not.  As much as I have ZERO (and I mean zero) desire to get involved in internet drama -- I just want to say:

The concern is with processed meats.  As Melissa said, you can do a Whole 30 (quite healthily) without these things.  You are stressing that you are eating turkey hot dogs, but they are still hot dogs.

I understand that you are also concerned now about red meat -- and that is your choice.  But also consider that turkey has its own disadvantages.  Bird meat is notoriously high in omega-6, as compared to red meat.  And I hope you understand the connection between omega-6 and inflammation.  And inflammation and pretty much all disease.

I'm sorry that you are upset about what's been in the news.  But I think the key things to take away, if you are really concerned, would be to just eat fresh meat and make a point to have some variety.  Which is what we all should really be doing in the first place.  

I will also take this opportunity to give a big shout-out to FISH!  Woo-hoo -- eat some tuna!   :)  Omega-3 is what most of us are really missing in the "balance".  

Hi Brewer5. Thank you for weighing in, and doing so in a non-defensive way. :-)

That is a really good point that the report is most specifically about processed meat which can include poultry as well as beef or pork products. I did gloss over that and I'll need to take it into consideration when reconfiguring my breakfasts. I have a package of turkey hot dogs and a stash of frozen chicken sausage on hand that I'll want to use up. I have depended on Applegate hot dogs and chicken sausage for breakfasts, and removing them from my diet would really change things for me. I am so not a morning person

On the other hand, the report is actually about both processed meat and red meat. (I've linked to the press release). The evidence is stronger for processed meat but still significant for red meat. The latter is considered to probably be carcinogenic. So it stands to reason that processed red meat would be the worst choice you could make as a regular part of your diet. 

I am not really that upset about what it is in the news. We've been hearing about the dangers of well-cooked meat for a long time. I am more upset that the Whole30 leaders and moderators have taken such a flippant and anti-science stance in response to what's in the news. Rather than do what Shannon said she might... weigh the new report and consider whether or not to adjust the program accordingly, Melissa has suggested that the scientists at the World Health Organization are biased and have an agenda. I find this position very troubling when they are making recommendations that could affect whether people develop cancer or not. I am actually mostly concerned for my husband who eats a lot of processed and red meat when left to his own devices. I don't want to prepare foods for him that will increase the likelihood of a common cancer.

I hear your shout-out about fish. I LOVE FISH! The report will probably inspire me to incorporate fish more regularly into our evening meals. I do eat tuna fish for lunch almost every weekday.

Fish and chicken are in the clear, unless you are talking about heavily processed chicken such as chicken hot dogs, chicken sausage, or (turkey) bacon. 

Okay, good. I don't really eat any of those things! Occasionally I do get the applegate hot dogs, but at $10 a pack, we don't get them very often.

D25M1   ground turkey, marinara sauce, olives, sweet potato w/ghee, coffee w/coconut milk

D26M2   grilled chicken breast, carrot sticks, Brazil nuts

D26S1    green grapes

D26M3   tom yum soup (chicken, mushrooms, red bell pepper, chili paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger), sweet potato w/coconut oil & pss 

Food:   Today was probably the hardest day for me. I had a dental procedure which left my mouth sore, and afterwards I was tired and wanting comfort, but in no mood to cook. I was really tempted to just say "screw it" and get some non-compliant food. Instead I stopped at the nearby Thai restaurant and quizzed them about the ingredients in their soup. They were nice enough to show me the container of fish sauce (which alas, had sugar in it), and offered to make me a bowl of tom yum without fish sauce. With apologies to the people of Thailand for desecrating a traditional dish, I had tom yum without fish sauce. (I had told them I needed it without sugar of MSG). Hopefully compliant. And nice to have a different (and spicy) flavor profile on Day 26.

D26M1   ground turkey, rainbow chard, marinara sauce, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil & pss, coffee w/coconut milk

D26M2   ground turkey, rainbow chard, marinara sauce, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut oil & pss,, small green salad w/vinaigrette, 2/3 banana 

Food: My vinaigrette may have had some non-compliant ingredients. 

D27M1   3 turkey sausage, bell peppers & roasted potatoes in EVOO, almond slivers, coffee w/coconut milk

D27M2   tuna fish, baby spinach, broccoli slaw, roasted cauliflower florets, 1/2 avocado, EVOO & bv

Feelings:   I'm starting to get grumpy about eating this way.  :angry: Yesterday I had vinaigrette on my salad for which I did not know the ingredients, something I wouldn't have done previously. I also would very much like a beer when we go out Halloween night. But I'm trying to stay on the straight and narrow! I only have three full days left and then I can add in some more foods. My plan for this Whole30 was to cook more recipes, but it really hasn't happened much, and I think that's contributed to my food boredom. Looking forward to refried black beans!

D28M1   2 Balsamic & Kale chicken sausage & broccoli slaw sauteed in coconut oil, coffee w/coconut milk

D28M2   2 1/2 turkey dogs, green beans w/EVOO, green grapes

Food: I wouldn't have eaten convenience food (sausage & hot dogs) for two meals today, but my car got flooded! I didn't realize the rain was going to be as bad as it was, so I left my car parked out front where it tends to collect water. Half of the street became a big puddle overnight and several inches of water got into my car. So I wasn't able to go in to work today, and I've been stuck at home with the groceries on hand. I am thinking they are probably going to total my car because it's really old.  :(  What was that about avoiding stress? 

Now I am really wanting that beer tonight!

Archived