Chez Julie Whole30 Round 2 Log - 10/4/15 Start

chezjulie

Thanks, Linda. I feel like I am doing wonderfully!  :) Supportive comments like yours really help to motivate me.

Unfortunately I was prescribed a 6-day course of steroids for my asthma, and they have side effects of increased appetite and carb cravings. I will try to manage that with some extra food and starchy carbs twice a day.

Food preferences are funny things. During both of my Whole30s, I got really turned off of baked chicken breasts. Grilled chicken breasts from the grocery used to be a staple of my lunches, but the baked ones just look like this mountain of bland meat that I can't force myself through. Tuna on the other hand I like, especially if I combine it with 1/2 an avocado.

Pumpkin with coconut flakes tastes great! I just use the Libby's canned pumpkin, pop that in the microwave for a few minutes, and sprinkle some Trader Joe's Unsweetened Coconut Flakes on top. The flakes are quite sweet naturally and add a little crunch. Plus it counts as a starchy carb.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D11M1   2 Applegate hot dogs w/mustard, butternut squash w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, coffee w/coconut milk

D11M2   pork carnitas, mushrooms, sugar snap peas

D11M3   roast salmon, herb greens, mushrooms, 1/2 avocado, EVOO & lemon juice, and afterwards some mixed nuts

Food: My salad was really good! I did chunks of cold salmon, mushrooms, and avocado on some salad greens, made a quick dressing with fresh lemon juice and olive oil, and added a little sea salt and pepper. Since I had already cooked the salmon yesterday, it was very quick to put together. DH liked it, too.

They're delicious and a really quick protein. A little pricey but I rationalize that it evens out if you compare them to something like grabbing a protein bar. I really haven't been feeling like eggs for some reason this Whole30. 

Good luck with your own "adventure."  :)

D12M3   ground turkey, TJ's Puttanesca Sauce, zucchini noodles in coconut oil, 1/2 sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice, handful of Brazil nuts, Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   Meal 3 was kind of like a meal + a snack. I'm extra hungry because I"m steroids and pre-period. I think I did a good job of fueling myself enough without going over the top.

D13M2   2 hard boiled eggs, banana, Larabar

D13M3   2 hamburgers, 3 avocado slices, salad greens, cherry tomatoes, apple slices, pumpkin seeds, EVOO & bv, sauerkraut, Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   If you looked in a dictionary under "good choices," you would not find my lunch. It was mostly sweet stuff that was easy to grab and take to work. However you might find my dinner, which was delicious. There might be a snack later as I'm pretty ravenous today.

D14M1   4 turkey sausage patties, potatoes, onions, & peppers in oil, strawberries, almond slivers, EVOO

This morning I picked up a few things to take with me to a wedding reception this afternoon to keep me from temptation - a bottle of Strawberry Kombucha and some coconut-date rolls. I know the latter are frowned on during a Whole30, but I think it will be good for me to have something compliant to reach for when others are enjoying champagne and cake. I guess I'll eat lunch right before I leave and hope for some crudite and fruit to munch on.

D14M2   2 Applegate hot dogs, mustard, sauerkraut, sweet potato w/ghee & pumpkin pie spice

D14S1   Strawberry Kombucha, 4 coconut date rolls

D14M3   2 Applegate hot dogs, 2 dill pickles, sugar snap peas dipped in Tessamae's Lemon Garlic Dressing

I think this is going to end up being a 4 meal and 1 snack day...  :unsure: I took my Kombucha and my date rolls to the wedding reception. There was actually nothing there I could eat because they'd had meal-type food catered so none of it was compliant. I was sad about not being able to get a glass of wine and some of the nice things they had, but I survived. I'm having a really ravenous day though. I think I haven't been eating enough cooked green vegetables this week which would help.

D15M1   1 1/2 TJ's Chili Lime Chicken Burgers, TJ's Cruciferous Crunch sauteed in EVOO & coconut oil, Honeycrisp apple w/almond butter, coffee w/coconut milk

D15M2   1 1/2 TJ's Chili Lime Chicken Burgers, TJ's Cruciferous Crunch sauteed in EVOO & coconut oil, spicy roasted pumpkin seeds

D15S1    1/2 Honeycrisp apple, 1/2 Gingerberry Kombucha

D15M3    3 eggs, asparagus & mushrooms sauteed in EVOO, 1/2 avocado w/hot sauce

Function:   Woke up this morning for the first time on the program with a ton of gassiness and bloat. Not sure what caused it.  

D16M1   2 kale & balsamic chicken sausage w/mustard, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pps, coffee w/coconut milk

D16M2   tuna fish, baby spinach, grape tomatoes, avocado, Tessamae's Lemon & Garlic dressing

Yay! I'm over halfway through now! It has been mostly very smooth.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Function: Still feeling a little bloated this morning. I think I'm going to try and dial back on some potential culprits like cabbage and raw veg and see if that helps. (I'll still have my regular lunch salad, though, because that doesn't seem to give me any problems).

D9M1   2 1/2 Applegate hot dogs, sauerkraut, mustard, pumpkin w/coconut milk & Pumpkin Pie Spice

D9M2   tuna fish, baby spinach, black olives, dill pickle, EVOO & bv

OMG, I hadn't even thought about pumpkin w/coconut milk and spice!  I am trying that tonight - but I'll have to watch my intake, lol. 

OMG, I hadn't even thought about pumpkin w/coconut milk and spice!  I am trying that tonight - but I'll have to watch my intake, lol. 

Let me know how you like it, Jane. I usually eat my sweet potatoes w/ghee and pumpkin pie spice, too. It gives the pumpkin a nice slightly sweet seasonal flavor, but nothing where you're going to go nuts eating bowl after bowl! 

Snack from night before:

D16S1   pumpkin seeds

D17M1   TJ's Chili Lime Chicken Burger, TJ's Cruciferous Crunch sauteed in EVOO, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pps, coffee w/coconut milk

D17M2   hamburger, steamed veggies, fruit cup

D17M3   pan fried salmon, TJ's Cruciferous Crunch sauteed in EVOO, sweet potato w/ghee & pps

Food:   Confession... I had some unsweetened iced tea with lunch at a campus cafe which may not have been compliant. I'm trying on the whole to drink only Pure Leaf Unsweetened Iced Tea that I take with me to work because I know for sure its compliant.

Function:   My tummy has been feeling better, so that's good. 

D18M1   2 Balsamic & Kale Chicken Sausages, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pps, sauerkraut, coffee w/coconut milk

D18M2   tuna fish, baby spinach, grape tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, EVOO & bv, fruit salad

D18M3   2 ground lamb & beef kebabs, steamed cauliflower, broccoli, & carrots, large Honeycrisp apple w/cashew butter, 1/3 Gingerberry Kombucha

Food:   Still extra-hungry.

NSV:   I have been noticing that my nails have gotten really long. They usually break at a certain length. My Mom commented at dinner on how nice my nails look. I realized that it must be the Whole30. Apparently the four nutrients you need for strong nails are protein, zinc, iron, and biotin, and I get all of those through my diet.

D19M1   2 Balsamic & Kale Chicken Sausages, pumpkin w/coconut oil & pps, sauerkraut, coffee w/coconut milk

D19M2   hamburger, steamed veggies, fruit cup

Food:   Grrrrr. :angry:  For lunch I ordered a plain hamburger patty, fruit cup, and steamed veggies with no butter. When I got the veggies they looked a little shiny, but tasted very mild so I assumed the cook had put a little olive oil on them. When I got the check at the end it said "steamed veggies with butter." The waitress must have misunderstood me. :(  I hate that I probably had something non-compliant when I've been trying to walk the straight and narrow, but it's really hard when you actually order the right thing and they bring the wrong thing. I don't know how people with severe allergies like peanut allergies do it! I feel like ordering in a restaurant is always a bit of a crap shoot on a Whole30 no matter how careful you try to be.

Feelings:   Like last time, I'm just going to move on. My primary reason for undertaking a second Whole30 eating is to lower my risk of diabetes, and making myself frustrated by starting over is not going to help with that goal. I can already tell that I've reduced inflammation in my body and am having other good results, so I'm going to keep my eyes on the prize.

D19M3   2 hard boiled eggs, jicama sticks, hearty portion of guacamole, Gingerberry Kombucha

D19M4   hot dog, small sweet potato

Food: I had a kind of rushed meal in the car before going to do some volunteer work, and then a mini-meal after I got home.

D20M1   2 Balsamic & Kale Chicken Sausages w/mustard, small sweet potato, coffee w/coconut milk

D20M2   chocolate chili, baby carrots, orange

D20M3   baked potato, chocolate chili, Mystic Mango Kombucha*

Food:   Last night I made Chocolate Chili from Well Fed in the crockpot. I'm not very happy with it. What I thought were 2 packages of ground beef turned out to be a package of ground beef and a package of lamb. So the chili turned out heavy and oily. I actually didn't like it all that much the previous time I made it. I think I need to find a different paleo chili recipe

Feelings:   Almost 2/3 of the way through. I saw this message on the Whole30 FB page, and it was exactly how I'm feeling: " Sometimes at this point in the program, food boredom sets in and you're tempted to quit, not because it isn't working for you, or because you have a specific craving ... but just because you're bored. DO NOT GO DOWN LIKE THAT!" I am bored with my food right now - too much ground beef, sausage, eggs, etc. recently without enough variety. 

*I bet you thought I was going to say Gingerberry.  ;) 

Archived