Sober October... starting today (no drinking problem just a funny name)

LaurenB

Hi all,

So, today is the beginning of this journey. So far so good. Even the coconut milk latte was better than I expected. Anyone else starting today? I would love to motivate & hold each other accountable.

Here's to the beginning of this adventure!

Lauren

PS any tips are totally appreciated!

Many people have to give up alcohol..like for real.   Social calendars and breakrooms around the world are filled with events and foods that won't contribute to success on a Whole 30. 

I don't believe there is a perfect day to start.  Today is the day.  I like Cold Turkey.   A cold splash of water can snap someone out of complacency and resistance.   It's only 3o days and there will be years and years of social events to attend in the future.   

Hi all,

So, today is the beginning of this journey. So far so good. Even the coconut milk latte was better than I expected. Anyone else starting today? I would love to motivate & hold each other accountable.

Here's to the beginning of this adventure!

Lauren

PS any tips are totally appreciated!

Hi Lauren

My first tip would be that if the latte was from Starbucks that their coconut milk has a number of off limit ingredients....!!

My second tip would be that fat is your friend.

My third would be to avoid larabars, nuts, nut butters & dried fruits....

My fourth would be to just eat real food - three meals a day, each 4-5hrs apart, the first within an hour of wakening - and each one built to match the recommended meal template.

My fifth would be that whether you think you can, or think you can't you're right  ;) 

Welcome to Whole30  :) 

I am starting today as well.  I am addicted to iced coffee.  Usually with half and half.  I quickly learned that whole30 approved canned coconut milk does NOT mix with iced coffee.  I am going to stick with black coffee. 

I feel like breakfast and lunch will be easy, but dinner and after dinner snacking will be difficult.

We will see. 

Good luck to everyone on this journey!

Hi Lauren

My first tip would be that if the latte was from Starbucks that their coconut milk has a number of off limit ingredients....!!

My second tip would be that fat is your friend.

My third would be to avoid larabars, nuts, nut butters & dried fruits....

My fourth would be to just eat real food - three meals a day, each 4-5hrs apart, the first within an hour of wakening - and each one built to match the recommended meal template.

My fifth would be that whether you think you can, or think you can't you're right  ;) 

Welcome to Whole30  :) 

My Latte was made at home with my Nespresso. :D I have a client dinner tomorrow night. I let the know what I was doing and they informed me that they had bought a bottle of champagne. :( I suggested that we drink it after I'm done to celebrate. :rolleyes:  Staying strong. This would be so much easier if I wasn't social and wasn't in sales!!!

Hi Lauren :)

Your title caught my eye :)

Stick with this. It's only 30 days and your body will teach you so much!!

I just started again October 13th.

I had finished a Whole 30 that became a Whole 75. (May28th was my first start date)

The changes I experienced were amazing and I can elaborate more sometime.

Happy day to you!!

Hi LisaPT.

75 days ?!?!?!?!? :huh: WOW!!!!! :o

Right now I feel like I'm the no fun girl in my group of friends. LOL Fortunately this level of restriction is temporary and will be so worth it in the end... (at least that's what my mantra these days is. :lol: )

PPS I'm not an alcoholic or anything, I just think that no drinking will be hard with my social calendar and work related activities...

The first time I heard someone else talk about their Whole30 I was amazed that they were able to live for thirty days without cheese, any dairy, any sugar or pasta or grains! But WINE?? I knew there was no way I could do that. I love my wine. I drink wine with dinner almost every night of the year. And I am sure that statement could shock people, but for me, it's simply one way I celebrate the joys of life. But, certainly I know that too much of anything is never healthy, so here I am. Day 4. And so far this has been surprisingly easy for me, with only a couple of pangs of desire for a small glass while I watch the sunset. But, frankly, looking down the barrel of 26 more days without wine (okay or cheese or ANY sugar???!!) seems daunting. But, I know I can do this. And hopefully, my stubborn will will carry me through any dark, tempting moments that surely await. 

I have to admit that I am planning on avoiding a lot of social situations this month. I am not superwoman, YET! And frankly, I wish this were Jan or Feb when I could conveniently hole up inside my house and more easily avoid temptation. But, I am hoping that the more days I go without tempting myself, the easier it will be when situations tempt me. 

I know that there are a few compliant fru-fru concoctions that might ease the pain of otherwise holding a glass of water. I'm sure many mixologists would be able to suggest a sub, too. I haven't tried any yet, but I will study up before my first night out on the town. 

One thing I LOVE is that we're all in this together. I like knowing there's a crew of advanced members and moderators out here that are always willing to help. 

This is our October Soberfest. Count me in!

The first time I heard someone else talk about their Whole30 I was amazed that they were able to live for thirty days without cheese, any dairy, any sugar or pasta or grains! But WINE?? I knew there was no way I could do that. I love my wine. I drink wine with dinner almost every night of the year. And I am sure that statement could shock people, but for me, it's simply one way I celebrate the joys of life. But, certainly I know that too much of anything is never healthy, so here I am. Day 4. And so far this has been surprisingly easy for me, with only a couple of pangs of desire for a small glass while I watch the sunset. But, frankly, looking down the barrel of 26 more days without wine (okay or cheese or ANY sugar???!!) seems daunting. But, I know I can do this. And hopefully, my stubborn will will carry me through any dark, tempting moments that surely await. 

I have to admit that I am planning on avoiding a lot of social situations this month. I am not superwoman, YET! And frankly, I wish this were Jan or Feb when I could conveniently hole up inside my house and more easily avoid temptation. But, I am hoping that the more days I go without tempting myself, the easier it will be when situations tempt me. 

I know that there are a few compliant fru-fru concoctions that might ease the pain of otherwise holding a glass of water. I'm sure many mixologists would be able to suggest a sub, too. I haven't tried any yet, but I will study up before my first night out on the town. 

One thing I LOVE is that we're all in this together. I like knowing there's a crew of advanced members and moderators out here that are always willing to help. 

This is our October Soberfest. Count me in!

it's so true, KSByer, that for me at least, every day builds my confidence in being able to handle generic situations. It does get easier every day. Going strong on day 14 here. My big challenge has not been giving stuff up so much as adding things in. Before this I was a vegetarian (since I was a teenager). Big changes. Body is soooo happy.

I just finished my second W30. During the first, I avoided situations where wine was a usual part of the dinner or gathering. During the second, I had dinners, happy hours and business meetings. When it came to the drinks, I ordered my seltzer and lime and mostly no one noticed. When someone did ask, I just said I didn't feel like it tonight. What amazed me was that no one really seemed to care. Just being there and having fun was what seemed to matter the most.

Archived