Cooking with frozen OJ

RobinF

So I have this awesome recipe for Orange Basil Chicken that I have had for years and realized it is whole30 compliant, I think. Essentially it is chicken breasts with a can of defrosted orange juice concentrate poured over and baked.  I know fruit juices are allowed in some instances. There are no added ingredients except for concentrated OJ and water.  And I know that the rule is no ADDED sugar in the ingredient list...however...there are 24 grams of sugar in the OJ.  

I know fresh oranges would be preferred but the amount of oranges I would have to buy and squeeze for this recipe would be cost prohibitive.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hmmmm...technically this would be fine.  But.  It seems like a very heavy concentration of orange juice (since if you were squeezing the same volume of oranges you would get far less sugar being that the frozen stuff is concentrated...I think you normally add 3 times the amount of water in order to make it drinkable?  Anyway, yes, you could technically use it within the Whole30 rules.  Personally I think it might be toeing the line a tad, being that a juice concentrate is basically a juice syrup and you are going to be using a heck of a lot of it.

Thanks for the quick response.  In the past I'd be spooning the drippings onto a pile of steaming white rice which will not be happening tonight!  Most of the OJ will remain in the pan but it does flavor the chicken very well.  I might give it a try.  Maybe dilute it with water and not use as much.....if it causes a craving issue that will be the end of that!

• Moderators

Thanks for the quick response.  In the past I'd be spooning the drippings onto a pile of steaming white rice which will not be happening tonight!  Most of the OJ will remain in the pan but it does flavor the chicken very well.  I might give it a try.  Maybe dilute it with water and not use as much.....if it causes a craving issue that will be the end of that!

In addition to watering down the oj some, you might try putting orange zest in too, if the recipe doesn't already call for it. You can either zest fresh oranges or look for dried orange zest or orange peel in the spice aisle at the grocery store. It would help up the orange flavor more to make up for the diluted oj.

Archived