Starting Today, 10/19/15!

JessRN

Hello! :) I have also started on Oct.19 for the second time this year! I am surprised how well I remember how to make some recipes :) Last time my stomach didn't really like eating eggs so often (I had about 2-3 eggs per day!) so I am trying to find some recipes for breakfast that are quick and easy so I am not waking up really early or being late for work! does anyone know of some good recipes that I could prepare either the night before or in the morning?

Also I really hope I stay on track this month because in 31 days I am going to be a MRS!!!! :) so excited. Day 1 and 2 were actually really good! I was a bit cranky last night because I couldn't finish my one dish before having to go to an appointment for the wedding ( I am so thankful my parents are supportive so I cheated and she finished it for me :)). I really hope nothing comes up for Saturday so I can create some meal plans for next week!

Today I am fighting the sleeping giant. wow I am so tired! and of course today is Pizza day in the office. I am so thankful it isn't later on in the month. but it still smells soooo gooooddd!!!!! but I am strong I will not be tempted.. ^_^

I hope everyone's day is good?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to DAY 3!!!!  We are all badasses!!! :D

Before I check in with how I'm doing, I wanted to address the snack issue.  Before starting Whole30, I read 'It Starts With Food' front to back, along with every page on this website.  Yes, I'm a bit crazy.  Snacks are discouraged, but not forbidden.  If you work weird hours or need a snack to get through the day, then snack.  For people adjusting for a "six meals a day" mentality, going straight to 3 may be too hard.  They just really want us to try to keep our blood sugar even, so...
Fruit is a no-no snack.  Fruit is only to be consumed WITH meals.  The best snacks resemble a mini meal, consisting of protein, fat, and a veggie.  I love a approved meat burger patty I keep in the fridge and a hand-full of nuts.  I also have packages of approved beef jerky (expensive!) and nuts in my nursing bag for work emergencies.  I hope this helps everyone!

As for me, I am happy to say I'm feeling better today!  No headache at all.  Slept okay without my crutch sleep aides I basically was living off of.  My only complaint is girl troubles, which I cannot blame Whole30 detox for LOL.  Took some advil, and I'm feeling a bit improved.  

Eating breakfast now!  Boy, it's hard to eat within 30 minutes of waking up!  I've been spoiled, I started this during three days off (nurse life), so tomorrow is my first day at work doing Whole30.  I need a solid breakfast strategy, and I know I will be breaking rules and scarfing it in the car on my way to the hospital.  I just cannot imagine waking up any earlier than I already do.  

I love that we're doing this together guys!  Thank you for joining me!
Jess

I've been cooking like a lunatic today!  Made a delicious "deconstructed egg roll" bowl for lunch, and I have paleo meatballs in the crockpot for dinner.  I am feeling like I live in the kitchen though.  Between prep, cooking and cleanup, the kitchen is seeing a lot of me! LOL

My energy levels are pretty rough.  Sleepy and not very clear-headed.  I would even use the word "spacey."  
How are all my people doing?  

I thought I'd show you guys some of the stuff I've been making!  I have a pic of typical breakfast, the stew I made in the crockpot, our lettuce leaf tacos last night, and the "deconstructed egg roll" bowl I made today.  Let me know if anyone wants recipes!   :D

post-80182-0-90438900-1445479116_thumb.j

post-80182-0-07674100-1445479140_thumb.j

post-80182-0-25072000-1445479155_thumb.j

post-80182-0-22367900-1445479170_thumb.j

Hi Michele!  
Deconstructed Egg Rolls:
Cook down 1lb of ground organic pork (seasoned to taste) in a little coconut oil.  Remove from pan, set aside for now and leave the drippings.  Throw in one medium sized cabbage, cut into strips along with a generous handfull of shredded carrot.  Let that all sautee until it's getting soft.  Then add 1/3 cup of coconut aminos and a tbs of sesame oil.  Let that all cook down until soft.  Add back in the pork and green onion to taste.  That's it!  It's super good, and really hits the "Chinese food" craving spot! :D  You could honestly use ANY protein (including shrimp!).  I got the idea from this website: http://www.ancestral-nutrition.com/paleo-egg-roll-bowl/

For great meat products, including jerky with no additional sugar, try uswellnessmeats.com.  Great variety and whole30 friendly - also not too expensive, at least for the things I was checking out.

I also made a kick-butt bone broth the other nut, using the recipe from Nom Nom Paleo cookbook - so delish, and a great snack

Thanks for addressing the snacking issue. I had been snacking on fruit but will switch to beef jerkey if I can find any without sugar or soy sauce or some boiled eggs.

The need to snack can be an indication that your earlier meals aren't big enough. For best results, build your meals to meet the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Have your first meal within one hour of waking, for optimal hormonal balance.

Until you get to that place with your meal spacing, if you find yourself genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components.

Day 4 in the bag!  I slept like crap last night.  And WOW, doing whole 30 at work as a nurse is TOUGH!  I wasn't able to eat until a couple of hours after I got up.  Luckily, I wasn't hungry AT ALL.  I drank a lot of black tea to try to keep my head clear and my energy levels up.  I wasn't hungry all day.  In fact, I've barely felt any pangs of hunger since I started this.  Anyone else feel that way?  It's been really weird for me, because on my carb-focused daily diet, I was starving ALL THE TIME.  
Definitely feel like I've entered "Kill ALL the things."  I'm grouchy and pretty short tempered.  Kinda bored with food in general, but that being said, not really craving anything either.  It's kind of a strange feeling.  

I can totally relate! Usually I'm hungry for both a morning and an afternoon snack, but at the time I would usually have my morning snack, the thought of eating actually made me a little naseous today. That's definitely not something I've experienced before, unless I had just totally stuffed myself. It wasn't that I was feeling bloated this time, though; I just honestly wasn't hungry. I also fixed myself too much lunch after that and had to put some of it back in the fridge to save for dinner, which was pretty small for me as well.

For dinner, by the way, I made a hamburger with saurkraut, sauteed mushrooms, and tomato slices for the "bun." And it was AMAZING!

Yay! Onto Day 5!

Totally relate to not feeling hungry, which feels SUPER foreign to me! I've relied pretty heavily on refined carbs and other junk to get me through work days previously, and had gotten pretty used to crashing and needing snacks or coffee.

I did get caught super unprepared for breakfast today. With nothing prepped, all I could do was toss things in a bag and run out the door. My coworkers got a kick out of the improvised sack of food I hauled in to work with me, though. I guess it's unusual to tote around a head of broccoli, a yam, a carton of eggs, and a mason jar of ghee for a single meal?! Who knew! Luckily, I pre made all of my lunches on Sunday, so it was only a breakfast crisis.

@JessRN, thanks for the deconstructed egg roll recipe!! It looks awesome. Totally going on the menu for the weekend.

Have a good day tomorrow, everyone!

Day 5! :) yesterday I felt great! :) today so far the same. But I did have a horrible sleep last night and I just couldn't get out of bed honestly my alarm could not make me open my eyes for an hour! I can't wait till about a week or 2 from now where I don't need an alarm clock to wake me up. Honestly your body knows what time it needs to wake up, I guess, so it wakes you up sometimes even before your alarm goes off but you feel rested all day!

So I am very privileged to have a job where I don't have to be at work right at 8 we can come between 8-8:30 and a lot of people come at 9 even. so it was nice that I prepared the Whole 30 Egg Frittata last night so I could easily heat it up and go! and wow it tasted amazing!

It does have a lot of eggs and I am a little worried that they won't digest very well but so far so good :)

I have IBS so I can't eat any veggies raw, no citrus fruit, no peels or pits on fruit and definitely no caffeine so it's going to be very hard to cut that out of my whole30 this time because I am a fruit LOVER!!! :) I was also a sugar addict before my first whole30 and since then I haven't really had a lot of sugar. it is great! :)

WOO-HOO, DAY 5!!!!  Great job, guys!  It was another work day for me.  It took me 3 hours after getting up to make it to breakfast thanks to a emergency with a patient.  But you know what, I wasn't even starving!  Normally, I'm RAVENOUS when that happens and can't even think straight.  Didn't happen today!  I slept better last night, but I cheated a little bit and took a melatonin with no forbidden ingredients.  Glad I did though, I needed it.  Much less cranky today for the most part.  The best thing today?  Work was SWIMMING today with donuts, muffins and cupcakes!  And you know what?  I was totally fine.  The only thing I'm missing at this point is being able to have a glass of wine after work.  I guess Kombucha it is!  Keep on kicking butt, guys!  So proud of you all! :D

Congratulations everyone! Today was easier than I expected, perhaps because I slept better last night. I'm actually looking forward to meal prepping and planning on my days off for next week. I'm so happy I've decided to try this, I think its going to make a big difference. Though I'm like JessRN, I do miss that glass of wine!

You guys- I just pan cooked a couple of rib-eyes with coconut oil and ghee.  OH EM GEE!!!!!  Incredible meal!  Paired it with a baked sweet potato, and it was heaven!  Here's the method I used to do the steaks.  Thanks, Gordon Ramsey! ;) 

Day 6- Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnnn
Dragging butt.  My mood is kind of down.  Posted on the forum asking about some of my symptoms (not hungry ever, etc) and the moderators pointed out to me where I might be going wrong, and what I might be able to tweak.  Trying to keep positive.  Really ready for Tiger Blood LMAO.  How are all my peeps doing?

You're DEFINITELY not alone in the day 6 blahs! I'm feeling pretty low energy today, and seriously could have slept in for a loooong time. Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the fact that I'm feeling almost as though I'm crashing after a sugar/carb binge?! I can't figure it out, as my meals have been about the same as every other day this week, and up til today I haven't experienced this feeling once. I'm not sure what to make of it. REALLY looking forward to Tiger Blood!!

Ditto I've been tired all day. Last night I dreamed about pizza and today I walked around a bunch of food vendors while my boyfriend and brother ate everything they could find. Proud to say I didn't eat any but boy did it all smell good. Hoping to get energy soon. Happy day 6 everyone :)

I have been very tired. Went for a nice early walk this morning, so lots of good fresh air, a warm shower after, then I wanted to nap!  Tomorrow I will prepare my weeks worth of meals and I enjoy that. Definitely find it easier with a plan.

Archived