Starting Today, 10/19/15!

JessRN

Woohoo! Day 7 in the bag! Today was the first day that I attempted any sort of social gathering / restaurant meal since starting, so I was a little nervous but pre- researched the menu like I was studying for a test and figured out what I would order and which substitutions I'd ask for in advance. Success! I also feel much better than yesterday - I figured out that I hadn't eaten enough protein and fat at breakfast. I ate a bigger breakfast today and that did the trick. Breakfast is a bit of a struggle, though. Going from coffee and carbs or coffee alone to a big meal takes some getting used to!

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend - day 8, here we come!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so proud of us, guys!!!  I'm tired too, but I feel my body switching over to fat metabolism, and that is so encouraging.  It's definitely challenging getting three healthy meals in per day in.  Especially enough fat and protein, I'm just not that hungry! LOL  I also feel like I live at the grocery store and in the kitchen!  LOL.  But I'm preparing another round of meals (that SOOOOO got us through week 1) tonight and tomorrow, so we should be in good shape.  I can't wait to check in tomorrow for Day 8 and WEEK 2!!!! :D

Woo Day 8!! Honestly, I've surprised myself being able to make it 8 days, I can actually watch people eat junk food now and be okay with not eating any. When I started I couldn't even be around junk food. I've definitely noticed a difference in my stomach already and its so exciting I can't wait to see what it will look like at the end of 30 days. Only complaint I have right now is I've been sleeping terrible. I had no trouble falling asleep last night but 3am came and I was wide awake. After that it was a restless night of tossing and turning trying to get back to sleep.  Hope every one has a fabulous Monday :)

Day 8! :)

26 more days till my wedding! :)

Saturday I was so drained my fiancé and I were driving around all over the place all day long! I was so happy to be in bed!

Sunday I got a half hour nap in which felt great. but today I am feeling that I need to have another nap or go to bed an extra hour earlier tonight.

Hope you all have a good day today! :)

Day 8!
Right on schedule, stabbing gas pains LOL.  I normally have digestive issues (IBS since 9 years old), but they've been blissfully absent since starting Whole30.  Now, stabbing gas pains in my upper GI tract.  Hooray?  lol  I guess it means I'm on schedule.  I don't have an accurate gauge on how I'm feeling, because I only got a couple hours of sleep.  Not insomnia, thank goodness, just the boyfriend and I stayed up incredibly late watching movies.  Today's plan is to do a little more grocery shopping (we went through an 8oz jar of ghee in a week!) and then some cooking for the week.  My work schedule this week is Tues, Wed, Sat, Sun.  So sad to be working on Halloween (my favorite holiday!) but that's just part of the job.  
Jwentworth, TOTALLY with you on the tolerance to junk food!  It's great!  When we first started, I avoided situations where I might have to see/smell trigger foods.  So far, I'm doing great with it, and just see poison that makes me feel crappy!  
Ok guys, onward and upward!  You guys are doing fantastic, thank you for sticking with me!

Day 8!

Right on schedule, stabbing gas pains LOL.  I normally have digestive issues (IBS since 9 years old), but they've been blissfully absent since starting Whole30.  Now, stabbing gas pains in my upper GI tract.  Hooray?  lol  I guess it means I'm on schedule.  I don't have an accurate gauge on how I'm feeling, because I only got a couple hours of sleep.  Not insomnia, thank goodness, just the boyfriend and I stayed up incredibly late watching movies.  Today's plan is to do a little more grocery shopping (we went through an 8oz jar of ghee in a week!) and then some cooking for the week.  My work schedule this week is Tues, Wed, Sat, Sun.  So sad to be working on Halloween (my favorite holiday!) but that's just part of the job.  

Jwentworth, TOTALLY with you on the tolerance to junk food!  It's great!  When we first started, I avoided situations where I might have to see/smell trigger foods.  So far, I'm doing great with it, and just see poison that makes me feel crappy!  

Ok guys, onward and upward!  You guys are doing fantastic, thank you for sticking with me!

Jess, I know exactly what you are feeling with the IBS!

I was reading the Whole30 book and if you have this you have to have all your veggies thoroughly cooked (or have them cut up into really small pieces), stay away from citrus fruits, make sure you peel your fruits, and limit (well even more limit) the fruits with pits on the outsides (like berries). Also you have to stay 100% away from Caffeine. Last week I was getting those sharp pains and they are considerably lessoned since I have done all of that! till the pains are almost gone! Just the random pain because I had a couple raw veggies yesterday without chewing them all the way down. Hope this helps?

I was reading the Whole30 book and if you have this you have to have all your veggies thoroughly cooked (or have them cut up into really small pieces), stay away from citrus fruits, make sure you peel your fruits, and limit (well even more limit) the fruits with pits on the outsides (like berries). Also you have to stay 100% away from Caffeine. 

Hey there Michele, yes I did know about this.  I actually didn't have any raw veggies yesterday or any fruits with pits or peels.  In fact, I skipped fruit yesterday!  I'm not one for citrus typically, but I did marinate my chicken in lemon and orange juice.  I'm fairly certain that's not it.  Not sure if it's just the expected bloat as my gut repopulates good bacteria.  It abated a lot after eating breakfast, so I'm sure it's just gut bacteria magic LOL.  

If it were one of my patients, I would just recommend lactobacillus probiotic capsules for a couple of days, but my lactobacillus capsules have sugar in the capsule itself!  No probiotics for my Whole30!  I'm drinking kombucha instead :D

Hi Everyone, its Nice to read everyone is following thru. its been very busy for me, so ve not had time to check up on the forum.

Week one went great for me. No headaches/mood swings. Just feel like I'm not eating enough veggies as I get hungry in between meal times. I try to take some water and green tea to keep me on track.

I cant believe that I made it to day 8. I enjoy being on pinterest and looking for whole30 recipes. The struggle was real on day 5. But the other days I was ok. I had energy to keep my training schedule. I am eyeing on doing a full ironman next year and hoping that whole30 will help me reach my optimum potential.

I have a question on orange juice? I bought freshly squeezed orange juice from whole foods but still kinda doubtful.

I still tend to snack once day.. i have a hanful of walnuts.

Hang in there everyone. 22 days to go!

I have a question on orange juice? I bought freshly squeezed orange juice from whole foods but still kinda doubtful.

I still tend to snack once day.. i have a hanful of walnuts.

With respect to fruit juice, the recommendation is to only use juice as a flavoring in cooking, not to drink it by the glass.

Concerning snacking on walnuts, the need to snack can be an indication that your earlier meals are not big enough.  If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, we can take a look for possible tweaks. Include portion sizes, any exercise and water consumption.

ETA: Double and triple check any recipes labeled Whole30 on pinterest that aren't from the Whole30 page.  Many recipes labeled as such, are not compliant, either ingredients-wise or SWYPO-wise.

Day 9 allllllmost in the bag - you guys, we are almost 1/3 done! 

I didn't sleep well at all last night, and today felt pretty difficult. In the past, sleepy days have meant eating terribly, but I had none of the caffeine/sugar/junk food fixes to get me through this one! Otherwise, I am really feeling the bloat these last couple of days and am just generally not very comfortable. I guess this means I'm on track, but I will be really happy when this "landmark" on the timeline is finished! Tomorrow is a giant potluck at work, but I'm feeling way less worried about it than I was on day 1 - echoing what you guys have said about not being NEARLY as tempted my junk. Huge win!

How is everyone else doing today?

Day 9 in the bag!  Did well today, another work day for me, so basically too busy to think about food and ate what I brought happily LOL

Slept poorly last night, despite trying magnesium.  Had a pretty bad headache this morning too.  Not sure what that's about!
We're rocking it, guys!  This morning, my scrub pants fit better!  I know this is great for me, and it's working.  Keep up the good work!

Day 10! I feel exhausted which isn't promising since I was hoping to start my workouts again today. I still will, there's always a chance I fall asleep though haha. Any way a coworker started her whole 30 day today so its nice to have someone else to share with. Still feel a little bloated so I really hope that goes away soon, like asap! This week my goal was to change up my food to stuff I don't usually eat. I made the most amazing stuffed acorn squash the other night and the left overs are lunch for tomorrow...can't wait :) Hope everyone is having an awesome day 10, we're 1/3 of the way through!!!

Day 10-
I can't say I really feel any different.  Or good lol.  I'm bored with food and sick to death of cooking.  That being said, I'm not really tempted to cheat or stop.  Just ready to feel better at some point.  Definitely in that "honeymoon is over" mindset haha.  My goal is to get back in they gym too, but I'm not sure I'd get through it.  Hope you guys are all doing well.

Day 10... meh. That sums up about how I'm feeling. Honeymoon is over is right!! I had an internal adult temper tantrum tonight because I was feeling super resentful about MORE cooking and MORE dishes and MORE food prep and MORE grocery shopping. It feels like even when I prep in advance, I'm STILL always doing something related to food. I made a huge batch of chili tonight and am totally looking forward to eating the same lunch and dinner for the next three days in a road because at least that means I won't be chopping vegetables!

Really ready to feel some kind of tangible improvement to my health. I mean, I know that my body is benefiting from this and that I'm getting healthier, but I still am just swinging between feeling normal-ish and feeling crappy. 

One highlight in my "I'm over you, Whole30" day: We had a potluck at work, and I couldn't eat any of it (grains and sugar and dairy galore). However, I realized that I wasn't even jealous of people's plates of food. None of it was very appealing, and some of it actually struck me as straight up gross. If I'd been "allowed" to make up a plate for myself, I would have made completely different choices than usual. So interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing which foods I'm drawn to and how my likes/dislikes change after we finish these 30 days.

Day 11- 

Agreed last night I had no desire to cook at all, or this morning making breakfast. Waking up is still a struggle I feel like I get plenty of sleep and I sleep great but my alarm goes off and I don't want to move. By the end of the day I'm exhausted. Working out yesterday wasn't terrible I made it through my 30min workout but when I went to do a 10 min ab video I couldn't; I was to hungry it actually hurt to do the abs so I went upstairs to make dinner and eat a little post workout food while cooking. 

@MeganJ I feel you with the feeeling normal and then crappy I feel like I just bounce back and forth. Mentally I'm just kind of ehh right now so hopefully it goes away soon. I can't wait for tiger blood to get out of this phase. 

Physically I've noticed some changes. My stomachs not nearly as bloated as it was when we started, and last night I realized my double chin that usually takes forever to go away is gone!! Wooohoo small wins that'll all add up. 

I guess we are all feeling the same way. I couldn't finish my omelet this morning because I was so sick of eating omelets when just a week ago I was in love with omelets and thought I could eat them for eternity. I'd rather not eat than eat another egg, potato or cashew right now. I won't have time to cook or hit the grocery store until Saturday so I guess more eggs and potatoes for me! But on a brighter note, I am so impressed with myself that I have been surrounded by chocolate and have not given in. Never in a million years did I think I could do that.

I'm SO with you guys.  Flip-flopping between feeling normal and feeling crappy.  Certainly NOT feeling better than normal yet.  No massive physical changes, not even sure my pants are looser anymore.  Was hoping for improvements in all my little inflammation-related ailments, with really no noticeable improvement.  Tired of cooking, tired of dishes, tired of shopping, and tired of paying SO MUCH MONEY for groceries.  Waiting for energy, not getting it at all.  I want to apologize, because I'm trying to keep a great attitude, but I'm getting discouraged.  I'm trying really hard to not get discouraged.  
Despite no cravings whatsoever, had a dream last night I ate about 1/3 a container of haagen-daaz before I remembered there was dairy and sugar in it LMAOOOO.   I was gutted!  And SO MAD I would have to start over hahahaha.  Oh man, that's pretty funny.  
Positive Changes (because I refuse to be all negative Nancy):  I AM starting to wake up hungry, even on 6am work days.  No cravings or food envy.  Though my sinuses still suck, I think my asthma is better.  I think my skin on my face looks a little better.    

Also Note, The timeline in the book states that days 10 and 11 are the hardest and most people quit at this point. Don't Quit!!!!!!! We got this, tomorrow will be better and apparently we are going to start dreaming about chocolate cake.....How exciting.

Totally feel you guys with the normal/crappy thing! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I also feel like I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time preparing food, but I actually really like cooking and especially trying new recipes, so that's not a problem for me. The problem comes in when it means I have to stay up later doing homework instead of sleeping, which makes me feel even crappier...

All in all, though, this is not as hard as I thought it would be. And tiger blood is so close! We can do it!!!

Grass fed beef stew is saving our lives right now.  That and taco meat LOL.  If anyone wants my beef stew recipe, it's pretty delish, let me know!
So I just had another migraine guys.  Had to take Exedrin, and it's tolerable right now, but still not gone.  Can we feel better already?  LOL

Hi oct 19ers -- I've been stalking your thread along with the other 10/19 post :)  You are all doing great, I love getting a couple days to look ahead & see what you are experiencing!  I started 10/21, which makes day 9 for me... and this, day 9, has been a challenge! I wanted to take the kids out for dinner but I looked at the menu & really couldn't find anything that I'm sure would be OK... so they are getting take-out & I'm eating from my fridge. Kind of a bummer, but  not the end of the world...  I need to make some of that taco seasoning!!! 

Archived