Day 3 - It's going great, but I need more carbs

hollylu

I am on day 3 and feeling great!

I have been having eggs, meat, and a piece of fruit for breakfast; my special salad for lunch (arugula, a fermented veggie like kraut or beets, pea shoots, lemon juice, olive oil, and leftover meat or canned tuna), and meat and lots of veggies for dinner. Before bed I have a small snack - a carrot, 1/2 an apple, or a handful of nuts.

Everything is going well except that I couldn't get to sleep last night (Day 2). I know from experience that I need more carbs than a lot of people, and I can't do extreme low carb without suffering from insomnia and depression. I don't want to eat too much fruit....

Today I have eaten 1/2 avocado, 2 figs, 1/2 cup of raspberries, and I am having a sweet potato with dinner. Any other suggestions about getting enough carbs without cheating or overdoing it on the fruit? Anyone else have this problem? (I did a search for 'carbs' in this forum, but didn't find anything useful).

is it possible you need more fat than carbs? as your body learns to use fat for energy instead of sugars, you go through a bit of a carb-flu and the symptoms can be depression, feeling down, lack of energy, fuzzy-headed... what about if you added more fats in, i find fats to really help with my mood and my sleep issues and energy too!

Just wanted to chime in and say to not be afraid to eat more food overall! I think I really under-ate the first week I was on the program...I was a little shocked when I realized how much I needed to eat to stay full/avoid feeling light-headed, but don't be afraid to fill up your plate with 2,3,4 servings of veggies. They're good for you! =)

I love squash! There's so much you can do with it. I actually prefer a buttercup or acorn squash to sweet potatos. Butternut squash can work well cut up in chunks in a soup, I've been using it in place of potato in any stew or soup I've been making. Love buttercup squash in the morning with a little bit of cinnamon, nutmeg and ghee. And tonight, I'm wanting some "comfort" food, so I'm making spaghetti squash with grass fed ground beef and tomato sauce, lots of garlic.

I'm only on day 9, but on the days when I don't get enough fat with each meal, I feel a little worse for the wear. I thought I was doing okay with the recommended amounts, but started going to a slightly larger serving with breakfast and dinner. This really helped my energy levels.

Any chance you have a farmers market in your area? Great time of year to get some really great deals there on squash varieties.

Archived