benji works harder

My limited understanding is that the Pre workout meal actually makes it easier for your body to burn fat. It's sort of a cue to start burning. I've been doing it and it's been making me feel less exhausted on workout days. You mentioned you're skipping the post workout shake but are you doing a post workout meal? Also I'm not an expert at hacking workouts but be careful of overdoing. At quick glance I see a lot of metcon followed by rowing. Too much of that exercise is going to create a stress reaction in your body, increased inflammation, higher levels of cortisol, and this all leads to you being hungry, tired, and not able to burn fat!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My next step in the Whole30 is going to have to be some MEAL PLANNING. So far I've just been relying on buying lots of good stuff when I'm at the grocery store, then eating whatever's around and seems to fit. I'll need to do a little bit more planning in advance to get the pre- and post-workout meals down right.

OH WOW. I just realized that I can plan *now* for my pre- and post-workout meals TOMORROW MORNING. Amazing.

I am just starting to do some experimenting myself with the Pre-Workout "meal". I have been religiously following the small amount of protein & fat (with no vegetables or fruit) before crossfit in the time recommended (15-75) minutes pre-workout. I have heard countless opinions on this and there are folks who are way more energetic and explosive with nothing in their stomach (ie: Robb Wolf). I use to run and prior to running I definitely felt more energetic with nothing in my stomach. My first day with not having a pre-workout meal was yesterday, and I felt fine during the WOD (other than I did countless Thrusters that have totally fatigued my muscles :) - ugh). I really think this is to be tweaked and dialed in with each person......

Just read through your log for the first time, and I three things to say:

* You are awesome! I love the sign at your desk. Take a picture?

* You really are working harder... great job!

Keep going! :)

Today's food:

breakfast: 9am

4 small pastured eggs fried in bacon grease

coffee with 3oz almond-cashew milk (no binders, lecithin, sugar, or carageenan or guar gum)

snack: 12pm

sea snax seaweed strips

43g roasted, salted almonds

snack: 2pm

2 oz roast chicken (this was an impulse buy; I was walking through the Mission and saw a chinese place that was selling just plain roast chicken, so I bought a bit and ate it.)

lunch: 4pm

3 oz (or so) grilled chicken breast

a bit of pickled cauliflower

roasted garlic cloves in olive oil

1/2 cup baby carrots

2 T aubergine (roasted eggplant, garlic, olive oil)

Dinner: 8pm

6oz grass-fed beef, pan-grilled

[EDIT: adding dessert]

2 oz Lydia's Grainless Apple Cereal: dried apples, raisins, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cinnamon.

2 tsp coconut oil

Most days, I get at least one huge servings of mixed greens at work, too, but less so on the weekends, unless I eat out.

Any comments or suggestions?

Food Sunday May 6

Coffee with 3 oz mimiccreme (almond/cashew milk)

2 soft boiled eggs

Pre-workout 10am: almond butter

(workout was mellow warmup then 20 minutes of slow strength work then 15 minutes of metcon, then biking a mile or two around the city)

Post-workout 12:30pm: 1 hb egg, 1 jar sweet potato baby food

Lunch @2pm: 4oz fish sauteed with mushrooms & topped with salsa

1 T guacamole (wasn't very good guac)

Lunch @4pm: 2 hb eggs, 1/2 lb baby carrots, 2 oz aubergine

Slept 5-630 or so

Dinner 4oz wild salmon pan-grilled in coconut oil

1 cup broccoli rapini, steam sautéed with 1T ghee

2oz raspberries

2 oz grain less apple cereal with 1 T coconut butter

1 package sea snax

8am Coffee with 3 oz mimiccreme (almond/cashew milk)

9:30am 2oz smoked salmon, 1 oz hardboiled eggs, a few capers & red onion bits

leg of lamb with escarole

smoked paprika and lemon roasted leg of american lamb with escarole, cured black olive and spring scallion tapenade

eggplant steaks with escarole

cumin roasted eggplant steaks with escarole, green olive and grilled yellow pepper tapenade

curry cauliflower gratin

laura chenel goat cheese and curry cauliflower gratin with oregano braised torpedo onions

vegan option available upon request

I ate around the cheese topping on the cauliflower, but then I learned there was probably cream in the curry sauce.

Dinner 6:30pm

3oz roasted chicken breast

1/2 avocado

1 oz cherry tomatoes

2 strips bacon

Dinner 8pm

1 cup broccoli rapini, steam sautéed with 1T ghee

2oz raspberries

2 oz grain less apple cereal

1oz grass-fed beef jerky

Food for 5.8.12

Breakfast 9am:

Scrambled eggs -- later I learned they had cream in them

1 slice ham

1 chicken-apple sausage

carmelized onions

sauteed mushrooms

lunch:

4 oz grass-fed steak

half avocado

2 cups greens including snow peas, arugula, lettuces, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini

cherry tomatoes

olive oil

balsamic vinegar

snack:

coffee with 4oz almond-cashew milk

1 oz oren's ajain cashews (contains ghee)

post workout:

1 oz bacon crumbles

2 oz chicken breast

1 oz grass-fed steak

2 oz broccoli

4 oz sweet potato baby food

dinner: 9pm

4oz grilled chicken thighs

1 bag bombay curry kale chips

a few blueberries

Glancing at your meal logs, it seems pretty low carb for the most part, which is a big change from your previous pre/post workout nutrition. With lots of metcon work, you may need to up the carbs on workout days if you're still having trouble recovering for Day 2 and 3 of your CF trifecta. You might consider adding some more sweet potatoes or bananas post-workout to help replenish glycogen stores.

food 5.9.12

(bad formatting because I'm tired. great day though. i'm going to bed early.)

breakfast

2 hb eggs

Coffee with coconut milk

lunch

Giant salad with steak, chicken, 1/2 avocado, pine nuts, greens

Coffee with coconut milk

pre workout snack: half avocado

Post workout snack

3oz steak

4oz yam

Half avocado

1 oz bacon

dinner

leftover chicken thighs from last night

baby carrots dipped in olive oil & garlic

2 oz roasted almonds

1 oz blueberries

Glancing at your meal logs, it seems pretty low carb for the most part, which is a big change from your previous pre/post workout nutrition. With lots of metcon work, you may need to up the carbs on workout days if you're still having trouble recovering for Day 2 and 3 of your CF trifecta. You might consider adding some more sweet potatoes or bananas post-workout to help replenish glycogen stores.

I've eaten 4oz sweet potatoes after the last two workouts, and today was day 2 of the CF triad. Today went pretty well! Then I had even more sweet potatoes after today's workout.

It's hard to know where to steer the boat between low carb for fat loss and eating enough carbs to fuel performance. I love CrossFit, and I want to keep doing it, so for now I'll keep going with the sweet potato experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody.

Glad to hear your feeling better with some more carbs. Cycling carb intake to match daily fueling needs can be an effective way to balance the requirements of intense exercise with the benefits of a lower carb diet. Up the carbs some on workout days and drop them on rest days.

log for 5.10.12

Last night, was in bed and mostly asleep from 9pm to 8am. Asleep by 10 for sure ==> 10 solid hours of rest.

Today was day 3 of 3 days of CrossFit in a row, and I felt great. The alarming weakness of early in my Whole30/ketogenic days has past. You guys were right:a little bit of sweet potatoes right after the workout works wonders for recovery.

Today I had a few accidental bits of non-Whole30 foods. I have to learn to ask before I eat it -- super hard when it's free and I'm hungry and it looks delicious. These were very small slips: the 1 teaspoon of toasted coconut was probably sweetened; the crab louis had some conventional mayo in it and some sriracha sauce which has sugar. I'm sticking to the plan that this is my Whole30 month to the best of my ability. If I restart the day counter after every accidental slip, the slips will get bigger.

What I'm really amazed by is that I'm not snacking after dinner.

breakfast 830am

4 oz grilled salmon (wild-caught, alaskan)

1 oz almonds

coffee with cashew/almond milk

10am

1 oz grassfed gourmet beef jerky

HUNGRY.

1 oz macadamia nuts so good

3oz pacific cod

a few mussels

big green salad with avocado, grass-fed steak, olive oil, zucchini, 2oz butternut squash

snacks:

coffee with coconut milk

tasted shaved toasted coconut, but it felt sweetened; i asked some guys, and they thought it was sweetened, too. i only ate about 1 teaspoon.

a few cashews pre-workout

1 hour crossfit: mostly skill work: hang power snatch, quick 9min metcon at the end

post workout: 3oz grass-fed steak, 4oz butternut squash, 1oz bacon

dinner:

individual shrimp and dungeness cocktail 'louis' with picked ginger, avocado mousse, sesame seeds, siracha aioli, napa spicy greens and carrots (note: this contained a bit of conventional mayo, and sriracha has sugar in it)

I had 5 of these! total about 4oz protein I think.

one piece of yellowtail sashimi

bombay curry kale chips

Argh, I just realized that the korean ribs I've been looking forward to all week were almost certainly made with soy sauce:

korean 'style' pork ribs menu-item-type-red.png menu-item-type-dark-yellow.png

korean 'style' soap opera pork ribs... makes you cry, laugh and happy all in one sitting with gochujang, garlic, onion and honey

Another solid night's sleep; in bed by 9:30, awake naturally at 7:45

breakfast

Steve's paleo kit grass fed

1 oz macadamia nuts

3 oz chicken thighs

Coffee with almond cashew milk x2 (8oz coffee, 8oz nut milk)

3oz baby carrots

Lunch

Big green salad with half an avocado

4 dry rub pork chips

Coffee with coconut milk

Big workout: hang power cleans strength+skill, 10minute metcon, rowing intervals 10x250m, hip mobility

Post workout sweet potato baby food

8oz super duper burger with avocado and bacon

I don't think I ate anything else after that. Not much of a healthy dinner, but bang, I was in bed and asleep early.

Argh, I just realized that the korean ribs I've been looking forward to all week were almost certainly made with soy sauce:

korean 'style' pork ribs menu-item-type-red.png menu-item-type-dark-yellow.png

korean 'style' soap opera pork ribs... makes you cry, laugh and happy all in one sitting with gochujang, garlic, onion and honey

I ate these. The rub was very dry, not gooey; I don't think there was much sweetness in them at all. But yeah, technically a violation. Welcome to my imperfect Whole30 :)

At the suggestion of a coach at my gym, I did a nutritional analysis on what I ate yesterday -- it's attached. I'm not supposed to stress about calorie counting and all that, so, I'm not... but I'm glad to see that I got about as much protein as I think I need: 107g. I think I need more like 120g, but that's pretty close. I wasn't actually weighing & measuring; this wall all calculated after-the-fact.

post-1148-0-65104100-1336842366_thumb.pn

Apparently this is becoming my *practice* Whole30... and I'll do another with everything I've learned so far. Today I learned... just don't even try eating at restaurants or food trucks.

First I had lunch at a food truck serving blackened red snapper on a salad with olive oil & vinegar. I checked: no soy or sugar in the rub or the salad dressing. But as I'm eating the fish, I realize it's maybe a tiny bit too delicious: I think there was some cornmeal in the blackening rub.

Then I had a friend over and she was hungry; I was planning to cook for myself, but I didn't have any food that she likes, so she suggested ordering in, and offered to pay. I don't know of a Whole30-compliant restaurant that delivers, so I made a quick decision & punted, knowing I would probably get some non-Whole30 stuff. Tom kha with shrimp (coconut milk soup, yum) was probably compliant, and the steamed vegetables definitely were, but the eggplant + chicken in spicy basil sauce almost certainly had sugar and probably soy sauce in it. I dodged the *big* bullets: no rice, no thai ice tea, no breaded anything, but I still definitely knowingly ate stuff that wasn't Whole30 compliant.

So, I'm going to have to admit... no restaurants or food trucks unless I talk to the server about *each* of the things I'm avoiding, and make sure each ingredient of each dish is okay.

When things like that happened to me I finally started telling myself that I probably wasn't W30 compliant, but if nothing else I was eating better than I have in the past.

I think there can be a progression and there is a huge learning curve about food. My first W30 was definitely a practice W30, but each one has gotten cleaner than the rest. Keep going, you are being mindful and that is a big part of it (for me at least!)

Food 5.13.12

Tracking protein as suggested by a coach. I weigh 180, so I'm aiming for 180g protein. I noticed that I'm *incredibly* full at the end of every meal. Protein is incredibly satiating!

5 eggs fried in bacon grease ==> 20g protein

2oz blueberries

coffee with 2oz cashew/almond milk

2 steve's original paleo kits => 28 g protein

2 lovin' spoonful nut/vegetable/spice crackers: 5g protein

Dinner at a friend's house; he was taunting me with all the delicious sweets he has, including some of my favorites, but it just wasn't on the menu. It was easy to resist.

1/2 sweet potato with a bit of olive oil

a cup of skinny green beans with a few almond slivers

8oz conventional steak => 60g protein

balsamic reduction

total… 113g protein

food 5.14.12

coffee with cashew/almond cream

5 eggs, hardboiled => 20g protein

1 oz smoked salmon

3oz seared grass-fed steak => 27g protein

2 cups various greens with lime curry vinaigrette (mostly just olive oil I think)

a tiny bit of avocado

a few slivers of almonds

1 cup mixed strawberries & blueberries (oh my god so good)

coffee with cashew/almond cream

1 cup broccoli

1/2 cup snow peas

2oz roast chicken 18g protein

2oz steak 18g protein

1 T olive oil

Half avocado

1/2 cup butternut squash

2oz cashews & almonds => 10g

1/2 dried apple

6oz steak => 27g protein

cherry juice reduction