First ever Whole30 - I started today and I have mixed emotions already.

whitetiger438

Hi, I'm Stacey.

I just started my first Whole30 today.  I tried prepping yesterday but I don't think it was a success.  I shopped for over 2 hours in 2 stores and still missed ingredients for recipes I want to try this week  :(  I had a list of ingredients too and I thought I had gone over every recipe while making the list.  I don't think my mayonnaise came out right.  That was one I missed - I only had extra virgin olive oil,  no light oil (what is light oil anyways? does the bottle say "light"? I don't know what I'm looking for) and it didn't taste too good last night.  We'll see how the tuna protein salad tastes for lunch with the mayo in it...

In the chaos last night, I forgot to do my initial weigh, measure, photo - is it okay if I just do it tonight? I think I will; I really want to know all my starting points.

Anyway I don't want to spill negative guts here, but I will be lurking around for support - I think I will get my best support here  :)

Thank you!

• Moderators

Okay well first, welcome and congratulations on starting!

Second, don't use evoo for mayo... you can use extra light olive oil (yes, it says light or extra light right on the label and usually comes in a clear bottle) or Avocado oil (available at most costcos - Chosen One brand, $12.99 for a bottle).  I've done mayo with evoo and it's not great but can be salvaged by turning it into an aioli (think adding roasted garlic or chipotle or something to it).

Yes, you can weigh and measure tonight, that's fine.

As far as prepping, depending on where you come from prior to W30, it can be a bit daunting but you get used to it and it starts to become second nature.  Make lists for sure and in the begninng you can keep it simple by cooking hot plate style (check out www.meljoulwan.com for weekly cookup instructions, menus and hot plate ideas).

You can do it!

http://www.villabertolli.com/products/bertolli-extra-light-tasting-olive-oil

I use an immersion blender for my mayo and it has always turned out perfectly for me!

The recipe I use is this...

1 c. light-tasting olive oil

1/2 tsp. sea salt

1 large whole egg (ROOM TEMPERATURE)

Juice of 1/2 lemon

Place all ingredients into a jar. Let stand for 1 minute. Use immersion blender. Place blender into the bottom of the jar, turn on high then once a creamy consistency starts to form (pretty much instantly) move your blender around until everything is the consistency of mayo. You may need to scrape the sides of the jar or the blender to get everything incorporated.

This makes about 1 cup of mayo. It's so good. Spoon-licking good.

Hi Stacey,

I started the Whole30 today too so maybe we can support one another through the process! TBH I don't like to cook, but I feel like you can make a lot of simple recipes on Whole30 and still meet the requirements. So far I have made an egg fritatta with carrots, tomato, and onion (didn't have any sweet potato) and a really simple avocado dressing. I am trying to stick with simple recipes with just a few ingredients. Maybe this will help?

Hi Joannal44!  Yes, let's support! I happen to love cooking, it's just what time is available.  Today we just did scrambled eggs and red potatoes with salsa and avocado with a side of banana for breakfast.  Then for lunch was some tuna salad (with the mayo I thought I botched, but the tuna salad tasted good!) in endive with a side salad of arugula, endive, beet greens, kale, kalamata olives, pepperoccini, and some red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Thank you for the clarification on the oil SugarcubeOD!

I hope to make one of my non-food rewards an immersion blender Alisonlcarver!

Thank you all!

I am no cook.

I think basic...what meat do I like. I look at the table in the whole 30 book for roasting vegetables and do 2 pans at a time!

I divide up the vegetables into storage containers.

If it was ground meat I add it in.

I have these ready as fast food for a couple of days.

I am having a love affair with the sweet potato. I have that on roasted vegetables always. I add onions and peppers. I throw mushrooms on for the last 10 minutes.

I mentioned on another post my adoration for the spaghetti squash. Wow great noodles!!!!!

I think you sound like you are doing great! Keep it up because I promise its worth it. If you get overwhelmed cut back to more basics of veg and meat done simply.

:)

Archived