DAY 1 WHOLE 30!!! I GOT THIS!!!

bndhaynes4

If you guys have a candy bin at work for emergencies, can you not stash an epic bar or something similar? If you and your coworkers have time to eat candy, you must have time to bite a meat-bar?  Even if you just kept an apple in a drawer that you could take a big bite of on your way by?  Obv not ideal to eat fruit on its own but more ideal than going 8 hours between with nothing?  Just a thought.

Thank you for the suggestions!  

Yes and no to other food.  I can usually get to food in a break room.  Yesterday was a (thankfully) rare exception.  But food in general is not allowed in the area I work.  We "sneak" pieces of candy under masks while stepping to the side of sterile areas (kind of tricky with other foods).  Sometimes we get stuck in the room for so many hours and just need to have a bite of something.  I keep plenty of extra food on hand in our break area though.  We just had too many unexpected emergencies yesterday late in the day and I couldn't leave the area to get to my food.

I'm paying the price today.  Really low energy, but have sweet potatoes in the oven now ...

I haven't tried the Epic bars.  I hear mixed reviews, but maybe I'll give them a try.

Thanks again!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I slept almost 11 hours last night- wow that felt good.  Back to my old (new) self today  :)

Amy - I love Nom Nom slower cooker chicken too.  I made it the week of Thanksgiving so I could use the gravy for the turkey (per her suggestion).  I'll try with more tomato paste for something different.

My go-to meals seem to be chili, chili and more chili.  So many variations and it's so easy to pile over a bowl of veggies and it's meal time.  My favorite these days is a crock pot chili with sweet potato.  Everything goes in raw and 8 hours later ... yum!

I ordered red curry paste to make a Thai fish dish (I think from Whole30 ... I bookmarked it).  Haven't tried it yet but it looks good too.

Boys go back to school this weekend and then I'm freed up with a lot less cooking for others.  Hubby eats what I make if he likes it, otherwise fends for himself (he's an easy guy that way!!)

Would love to hear about other favorite recipes.  It's fun to keep trying new flavors.

Amy - have you made bone broth?  I'm really on the fence about trying it.  I don't think it's my cup-of-tea so to speak, but it feels like it's a right of passage with the Whole30  ;)  

Just started my 1st 30 today.  I spent the last 30 eliminating caffeine and soda pop from my diet.  Now I am almost awake and the caffeine headaches are nearly gone.  I had to kill that one off first before the 30.  It will be tough, but I am very motivated.  A couple of decades ago I went macrobiotic for a year.  Sure hope that this is easier than that was.

Hi Jon!

Hope day 1 went well.  Good for you on caffeine - it's one less thing to worry about.  My sister was a macrobiotic vegetarian many years ago too (now she says she's just a "regular" vegetarian!).  That's an impressive commitment.  I bet Whole30 will be a very different experience (and from the little I know, much easier).  Week 1 is the biggest adjustment.  Good luck!

I read a quote awhile back ... somewhere in the depths of this forum and for the life of me I can't find it again to give credit to the poster (I'm sorry).  The internet gives credit to loads of people for the original quote.

But here it is ...

"You can't complain about the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do."  I LOVE THIS!! 

It's on my quote board and it I think it will be my mantra for this year.  

I read a quote awhile back ... somewhere in the depths of this forum and for the life of me I can't find it again to give credit to the poster (I'm sorry).  The internet gives credit to loads of people for the original quote.

But here it is ...

"You can't complain about the results you didn't get from the work you didn't do."  I LOVE THIS!! 

It's on my quote board and it I think it will be my mantra for this year.  

That quote is brilliant. BRILLIANT!!!

I am still having a very good Whole30. I've done several, and some are meh, some are gawdawful, and some are very good. This is one of the best ones I've had!

I just got back a set of blood tests, found out my ferritin levels are ridiculously low. This explains my hair loss. Ack! Fortunately, it's reversible.

All the best to everyone.  I have eleven more days. All going well.

I'm getting tested hard the last week of this Whole30!

We had a quiet holiday season this year.  I think everyone (but us!) went traveling.  For some reason, the calendar became ridiculously filled this coming week.

Two of the events fall before I'm finished with the Whole30.  It's going to be a challenge.

Tomorrow is a football party (GO STEELERS!) ... it's a late game, lots of food and booze.  I'll bring something compliant to eat.  I already mentioned to the host (thankfully, a good friend) that I'm still doing the Whole30.  Lordy it will be hard ... I will get pressure to drink.  Nighttime is tricky ... and that's really late for me to stay awake.

Okay, enough boo hoo'ing.  I just would rather stay home, but hubby really wants to go.  

I'm getting tested hard the last week of this Whole30!

We had a quiet holiday season this year.  I think everyone (but us!) went traveling.  For some reason, the calendar became ridiculously filled this coming week.

Two of the events fall before I'm finished with the Whole30.  It's going to be a challenge.

Tomorrow is a football party (GO STEELERS!) ... it's a late game, lots of food and booze.  I'll bring something compliant to eat.  I already mentioned to the host (thankfully, a good friend) that I'm still doing the Whole30.  Lordy it will be hard ... I will get pressure to drink.  Nighttime is tricky ... and that's really late for me to stay awake.

Okay, enough boo hoo'ing.  I just would rather stay home, but hubby really wants to go.  

Sending stay-strong vibes. I suppose you could make it an experiment: "as a non-drinking person at this drinky event, how close to half-time will we get before I start to get annoyed by the obnoxiousness?" Unless you have very calm drinking friends, in which case maybe just try to sleep sitting up, once it gets too late. Heehee

So - I'm counting down the days right now and happy, very happy, with my results this Whole30. I'm ridiculously happy with cooking and eating my own food, after several months of not being able to because of my schedule. My kitchen and I have rekindled our relationship. Ha!

• Administrators

Sometimes when this happens in our house and I just can't go (some...ok, quite a bit of social anxiety from time to time), I tell hubby I will drive him there, come home and do my thing and he can call me to come and pick him up so that he can drink and party and not be inhibited by my distinct discomfort with being there.  Because I feel kind of bad that I'm "ditching" him, I also tell him he can call me at Any Time to get picked up and there will be no complaints or comments on my part about the time of night or his condition when I get there.  It works out alright.  Just a thought if you really don't want to go.

Thanks Amy and Ladyshanny for the support and great suggestions!

Our friends are not loud drinkers, but they are loud football fans  ;) It's only a few doors down in the neighborhood, so we walk - and I may bale at 1/2time.  I'm going over early (to catch up with my friend) so I'll give her a heads-up on the possibility. Probably my biggest struggle will be in my own head!  I just hope I don't need to white-knuckle the whole night.

Ladyshanny - I understand the social anxiety.  I say I'm a reformed, painfully shy person - most of the time.  It rears it's head at the weirdest times.  I've gone into bathrooms to have a "mirror chat" with myself to get pulled together.  When it happens I also tend to sweat - oh so helpful.  I am guilty of using a glass of wine  (or 2) to help me out.  Not a healthy coping mechanism, but I do it.  (As I type this - since I'm thinking about it - I'm completely sweating. "Pitting-out" ... sweaty hands - crazy how I can just "remember" my way back to that feeling.)

Amy - I really enjoy reading how great this Whole30 is for you - makes me smile when I read your posts!  You must feel fantastic!!  

Enjoy the weekend!  And because I must say it ... go Steelers!! 

Last night was not so bad.  Hard when when game first started ... food, drink, etc. and some push back to just have "a little."   But as the evening got underway (such an exciting game) everyone was distracted (including me) and that was the end of the white-knuckling.  

Having a plan works well.  

I still haven't completely committed to life post this Whole30.  I want to up-the-ante this year (as I've said before) to include other areas of the Whole9.  But I need to also "grow" in my relationship with food.  

I love sweets (hello vanilla cupcakes) but it has nagged me for a number of years how horribly unhealthy sugar is to my body.  I've had that nagging feeling at other times in my life and it hasn't steered me wrong.  Might take some time to really "hear" it, but when I finally do, it's ALWAYS been for the best (for me).  

I've tried justifying, moderating, ignoring but it doesn't feel okay anymore.  I've wondered if my month + of junk eating was a bit like a temper-tantrum (among other things).  I just cannot stop that feeling anymore.  But I don't know if I can give it up FOREVER ... and I still don't completely want to ... moderation still feels like an option, but it's never worked for me.  I eat (and live) lots of healthy ways, but sugar is still a big player in my life.

Ugh ... I'm rambling ... enough said.  

Maybe I already know the answer but just don't want to hear it.  But any thoughts would be very welcome.   :)

Maybe I already know the answer but just don't want to hear it.  But any thoughts would be very welcome.   :)

To your point on having a plan worked well for you, maybe as part of your post-Whole30 life, you create some structure around sugar?

If you're not ready to ban it from the island forever, perhaps you create your own rules about when you have that vanilla cupcake.  Is it once or twice a month, for example?  Only vanilla cupcakes from a particular baker? 

This is part of the "fun" of riding your own bike.  :D

To your point on having a plan worked well for you, maybe as part of your post-Whole30 life, you create some structure around sugar?

If you're not ready to ban it from the island forever, perhaps you create your own rules about when you have that vanilla cupcake.  Is it once or twice a month, for example?  Only vanilla cupcakes from a particular baker? 

This is part of the "fun" of riding your own bike.  :D

I really like this idea.  Takes what feels like an impossible "never" to a structured occasionally.  This may keep moderation actually moderate. 

And making it fun ... never considered it fun, but a nice change of perspective!  

Thanks Chris!

Just so you know, you may not ever come to one right answer that works forever under any circumstances. Those of us who do not have health problems that dictate how we eat (like folks with celiac disease, for instance, or life-threatening allergies), have a little leeway to change our eating according to our needs at the time. I'm saying this because I've been at this for over three years now, and I have found that what works for me in one part of the year, or time of life, doesn't work at all in another set of circumstances.

Right now, my goal for 2016 is to basically be in training for a huge role I'm auditioning for in January 2017. So I'll be eating Whole30 except for the ends of the month (last day/first day), when I'm going to eat what I want, whether that be continuing Whole30 or anything else. That works for my emotional need to not say good-bye to certain foods forever, while dealing with the fact that I really do feel much better when I eat very well almost all of the time. I'm also adding walking, stretching, and two dance classes a week to my ongoing vocal training.

Once I (hopefully) get the role, I may need to change that up, and once the role is ended (if I get it, I hope I get it), I will probably re-evaluate entirely again.

The nice thing is that I find that when I need to reset/re-evaluate, a good solid Whole30 can give me the breathing room for that process.

Anyway, this is not meant to suggest that anyone else on the planet should do as I do, but just to note that it's unlikely that we'll all keep up some mythical perfect diet forever regardless of circumstances, and it's really OK and even encouraged for us to find our own best way of eating in any given time of life.

I'm really thankful to have enough money and enough access to food that I can make these decisions. So many do not. :(  Food is both necessary and lovely.  :D

AmyS, you mentioned ..,

"I love mixing mayo with canned salmon, chopped dill pickle, cubed roasted sweet potato, some dried dill, and some white balsamic vinegar. I could eat that over and over."

It sounds awesome. I want to make it. Does the sweet potato get mashed up when you mix it or how do you maintain the texture?

AmyS, you mentioned ..,

"I love mixing mayo with canned salmon, chopped dill pickle, cubed roasted sweet potato, some dried dill, and some white balsamic vinegar. I could eat that over and over."

It sounds awesome. I want to make it. Does the sweet potato get mashed up when you mix it or how do you maintain the texture?

I roast the sweet potatoes whole and then slice and cube them. So they tend toward mushy. I am good with mushy, so it works for me. I think if you wanted more of a salmon salad feel you could serve it over some greens, with sweet potatoes on the side. I tend to throw stuff in a bowl, stir it up, and eat. (You've been warned.) :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts Amy.   Maybe I need to see moderation with a different mind-set.  I tend to get a bit type-A with things (one of my goals of whole9 is to ease up on that).  And I know I'm guilty of chasing "perfection".  Works in some areas of my life, but is overkill in others.

You all have been very helpful - thank you!  

Had a lazy day yesterday.  Did some basic cooking, watched football, read forums  :)  and was in bed embarrassingly early.  Heading to work today.  Have a good Monday!

Down to the final countdown this week  :)

I have a lot on the calendar  (nothing at all next week - Murphy's law).  One more social event before the 30 days.  It's after a workday ... hit or miss whether I will make it anyway ... so I'll cross that bridge tomorrow.

I'm shocked this is the last week!  I've counted the calendar a number of times ... just to make sure!  

I plan to ride-my-bike much like I did for most of the year last year - allowing for restaurant meals, social drinking and occasionally pizza (the only bread I really miss!).  We had special travel that derailed me a few times last year.  No regrets though.  Only had "trouble" in the weeks prior to this Whole30.  I'm focused to not let myself get that out of control again.

While I don't feel a pull to extend to a Whole 45, 60 etc I am going to continue no desserts through the end of February.  I want to see how that feels.  I like the idea of sweet treats in moderation, but I want to give it more time before I reintroduce it.   

Tomorrow is my last day.   :)

I decided last night that I'm not going to the dinner party tonight.  It's a group of us who meet once a month and rotate houses.  It's hard enough to go after work (I get up very early on a workday) and I think it will be too difficult on Whole30.  The host does all the cooking so there may not be anything compliant ... and I don't want to be THAT person who sits and watches everyone eat and drink while I sip seltzer water. (And I often get stuck at work, so who knows, maybe there will be no choice anyway).  

Honestly, if I didn't have an entire weekend of social stuff ahead, I might have thought to end a day early.  Bad I know!!  But I'm happy with my choice to stay home.

I have some very bumpy off-roading to do this weekend.  It's almost comical how it's timed.  I have a plan and compromises in place (like staying home tonight). And Monday will bring me right back to Whole30 eating.  I was stuck at home with a contractor yesterday, so I did some extra cooking for the freezer.  I'll be ready for good eating on Monday. 

I'm not doing formal reintroductions this Whole30.  Just going to ride my bike.

Next stop for me is Whole9 and changes in fitness ... hello yoga ... hopefully  ;)

Congratulations!!!!!!

I'll have my last day on Saturday, and then two days off and then onward with my 2016 plan, including the Whole9 challenge.

I'm most interested in what my doc has to offer on Friday for my low iron stores. Now that I know that's what is going on, I am aware of many symptoms that I thought were just aging or laziness. I hold out hope for improvement in the next several months.

That's what's on the horizon lately for me.

All the best, Christina, see you on the other thread!

• Administrators

Ladyshanny - I understand the social anxiety.  I say I'm a reformed, painfully shy person - most of the time.  It rears it's head at the weirdest times.  I've gone into bathrooms to have a "mirror chat" with myself to get pulled together.  When it happens I also tend to sweat - oh so helpful.  I am guilty of using a glass of wine  (or 2) to help me out.  Not a healthy coping mechanism, but I do it.  (As I type this - since I'm thinking about it - I'm completely sweating. "Pitting-out" ... sweaty hands - crazy how I can just "remember" my way back to that feeling.)

Before I got together with my husband I never had to worry about these social outings (chronically single) so in the last 8 years or so I've tried it all. Tipsy, stone cold sober, with "excitement", without "excitement, dressed up, dressed down, familiar locations/people, unknown locations/people, being the driver/in charge of departure time, going to every other event, etc.  I've tried it all and there are just some times (which I can not predict, so that adds a fun element) that I just cannot.  The thought of smiling and making small talk is painful, I can't focus, I don't want to be there, I don't want people near me or to be surrounded by other people talking/eating etc.

This year, 2016, I decided that it is in-congruent with being respectful of myself, to force myself to endure social events when I'm feeling this way.  So I'm not.  If I miss every single social event in 2016 then that will be fine.  But giving myself the grace to know that I don't have to go means I may feel less anxiety over being forced to go and maybe it'll be better?

I'm a professional performer and a teacher; and I stay away from parties as if it were my religion. I have one friend who voluntarily throws parties (who does this?!) that I will actually attend, because she has a unique way of making everyone feel completely at home. Any other party, unless it's like a cast party or something, I'm out. Out out out!!!

I don't have anxiety, I just really dislike parties. Blech. So - just a note to the two of you that there are lots of us who just don't go to parties for any reason. Ha!

Last day!

On a side note - had to kill some time after work to let traffic settle down.  Stopped at a new Sprouts Farmers Market.  I've heard it's between a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.  Amazing!  So many unusual items and fantastic prices!  I would have gone crazy shopping, but I'm going out of town this weekend.  They have a huge selection of decaf coffee - which is hard to find.  I ground a bunch of beans and am happily enjoying a hot cup this morning.  I'll be stopping back  :)

Anyway, for the last day I thought I'd "review" my Whole30 and wrap it up.

The Good:

Good sleep is better.

Mornings are perkier.

Hair and nails growing much faster.

Skin is smoother (rosacea under control).

More "mental" energy ... more mental stamina.

Sugar cravings are under control.

Back in my jeans!  Don't know my weight (I rarely weigh myself) ... but my trusty go-to jeans don't lie!

Knee pain is under control.

The Just Okay:

Still no Tiger Blood during workouts.  I didn't have a big energy drop like last time, but nothing improved.  I am able to run more frequently though because my knee pain is better.

I'm ready to ease up on the time in the kitchen.  It will be nice to supplement with some meals out and hit the freezer stash.  I think holiday cooking combined with Whole30 cooking was a lot!!  

What I Learned:

My body likes 3 meals and no snacks.  

Sugar is not my friend nor a comfort.

I have sensitivity to a number of FODMAP items.  Didn't make that connection before.  I need to limit quantity on many ... oh sweet potatoes!!

Overall, another very happy experience ... THANK YOU WHOLE30!!

Amy - thanks for keeping me company on this thread!  Wishing you all the best in health (and good iron levels!!).  See you on the Whole9 thread  :)

Archived