Any crossfitters struggling with low energy?

deblinne

Hi all! I've eaten 80-90% paleo for a year, but wanted to tighten up with Whole30 so I can see those abs I've been working so hard for. So far, it's been working - pants are much looser. I'm on day 12. Unfortunately, my energy is still low and I feel like my legs are made of lead in the wods. Usually between 2-5pm, I am a zombie - almost dangerous to drive kind of sleepy. I crossfit around noon every day pretty intensely. I am eating a ton, I think - probably more protein, fat and carb than most people. If we have a high cardio wod, I add a morning snack an hour prior. I also sleep like a baby from 9pm-5am. Any ideas? I've even been taking a day off of crossfit during the week to recover so I'm crossfitting usually m-th.

Sample day:

7am: 2-3 eggs, whole zucchini, whole tomato, 1/2 avocado, 1c strawberries

10am: 1-2oz turkey, 6 almonds, peach

11: wod

12:30pm: 5oz ground turkey, 1c broccoli, 1/2 avocado, apple

2-5 energy crash BIG TIME - usually have 1c coffee with coconut milk to keep me from crashing the car

6pm: 5-6 oz steak, whole zucchini, 1/2 sweet potato, olive oil

• Moderators

You should probably add a post-workout meal within 20 minutes of finishing the WOD with some lean protein and a sweet potato. Then eat your regular lunch soon after. I don't think you are eating a ton. You are eating light for an active person and I think that is the source of your energy slump in the afternoon.

Yes, I am hungry pretty much all the time. I use the fish/broccoli litmus test and the answer is YESSSS!!! almost always. So, I changed it to a liver and onions test...YEP, I would eat that, too! haha! I will try to add post wod nutrition in. It is so hard to eat after and I gave up my coco milk/coco water/protein shake for the whole30, but I know that I need to just do it.

For carbs, I try to eat 2-3 servings of fruit and make the rest up in veggies. How much sweet potato/butternut squash is reasonable per day to add in? I was thinking of cutting back on fruit, actually, but my body is saying NOOOO!

Oh, you know, you hear things... :) It sort of feels like I'm looking at a sugar bomb...so many of the fruits in the grocery are gigantic and genetically modified to be so sweet. Honestly, though, I think I'd have to strap a feed bag to my face to get enough carbs in the form of veggies. I will add more food, including sweet potato, and stick with the fruit. Thanks so much you guys!

This is solely my personal experience, but I'm also very athletic and had been eating mostly paleo for a year prior to my first Whole30. My energy tanked about a week into the W30 and I couldn't figure it out. From what I can tell, my protein intake was way too low -- prior to the W30 I ate tons of protein, then during the W30 switched things to follow the meal template in ISWF. Many people on these boards are big proponents of adding carbohydrates for energy, but that didn't work for me (I tried adding starchy vegetables and fruits) and only put me on a blood sugar/mood roller coaster. (I describe my experience in the "No energy and gaining weight" thread.)

It's entirely possible that you just need more calories -- and from the perspective of a fitness instructor, I would suggest that be the first thing you address, as your body will hold on to fat around your waist if you're not eating enough and you'll keep struggling to see those abs with minimal results. :-) Once you've increased the calories for a few days, if your energy isn't where it should be, I'd suggest you start playing around with the macronutrient ratios; you either need more carbs or more protein, and there's little way to know which it is until you experiment.

Archived