Salmon Cakes - Stand-alone or Not?

SconnieGirl

Hi there, I'm brand new to all of this and in the process of working through my first meal planning to start on 1/4/16.

I see the recipe for no-fuss salmon cakes as a "one pot meal". From what I was reading, I was understanding the one pot meals to be everything for that meal in one recipe. But the sample meal plan for week 1 (pg. 196 of the cookbook), as well as additional commentary on the salmon cakes recipe, states to have the salmon cakes with other foods. For example, the meal plan suggests having the salmon cakes with butternut squash soup and green beans/onions/mushrooms/peppers. 

That's a big difference to me! So I'm not sure if the salmon cakes really are everything I would need for a meal or if I should go with the additional sides. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yep, I'd definitely go with the additional sides.

Have you seen the >recommended meal template<?

As you'll see each meal is recommended to be made up of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein (that's the length, breadth & depth of your palm), 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal), and a generous serving of fat (say a dollop of compliant/home-made  mayo, half an avocado, a handful of olives for example). Bear in mind also that the template is the minimum recommendation and it's absolutely okay to eat more should you need to do so to remain satiated for the suggested 4-5hrs.

I'd probably have the salmon cakes with a big ass salad or similar, otherwise I'd be chewing my elbow within an hour or so, and we don't want you to go hungry!!

Yep - I have seen the meal template - I'm studying like crazy this week and loving it! It's just taking a bit to wrap my head around developing eating habits that are so different from what I've been used to. I'm learning so much and am super excited to officially commit. I continue to be more mentally ready for this as I am learning so much. (I have to say - Chapters 5 and 6 of the "It Starts with Food" book Blew...My...MIND!)  I thought it sounded strange to just have the cakes so I wanted to be sure I was on the right track. Now I'm working on what I'll need to stock up the pantry! Thanks for the quick response jmcbn. :-) 

Excited for you Sconnie - the groundwork you're doing now is going to help you IMMENSELY.  I say this with the fervent passion of a recent convert!  (I "discovered" Whole 30 ~November 4 and starting doing groundwork including trying to follow the meal template on November 6 - kicked off my official Whole30 November 20 and just wrapped up on December 19.  Now I'm working through re-introductions).

This process can be life-changing if you embrace it!

Cheers,

-Lauren

Good question, as I have had just the salmon cakes alone for a meal, and they did not outlast my hunger, let me tell ya! They're technically compliant alone, but I agree with jmcbn that a side or two would help make you feel satisfied and balance out the meal. And they are amazing with a generous helping of mayo!

I make salmon cakes as a meal.   I add homemade mayo,  finely chopped vege (broccoli, celery, kale, spinach, cabbages,onions, fresh brussels...whatever you like) eggs, herbs, seasonings.  EVOO or fat of your choice in the pan and brown nicely.   Fresh lemon or lime.  Voila.

Yummmmmmy MeadowLily! At the risk of getting picky about this, since I'm still just a newbie, how many eggs do you add to this? One? More?

If I have 4 large cakes,  I use at least 3 large eggs or 4 small ones.   Let them brown nicely on one side before you flip or they can flop into pieces.  You can make homemade tartar sauce with real horseradish, mayo and compliant dill pickles.  Add dill and celery seed, whatever you like.

I wing it and change it all UPthumbs_up_2011.gifeverytime I make these.  It's a great way to use up your fresh vege. I make meatloaf in much the same way.  I finely chop the vege and often sautee them first before I mix in with the ground beef mixture (adding ground pork on occasion).   Add at least 2-3 eggs and spices of your choice.  I often throw some mayo in there, too. eating2-smiley.gif?1292867588 

Made meatloaf last night with roasted vege of every kind and had all of that for breakfast with over easy eggs. eating_eggs_2011.gif  I like stand alone one dish meals.  eating_steak_2011.gif

jmcbn is a home chef. I haven't cracked a recipe book open in a few years.  I had many books on the shelf but only looked at the photos.  So I gave them away and started learning by trial and error, flips and flops.   I can hold my own but I eyeball everything.  

I've learned how to make bone broth, turkeys, chickens, roast beef, prime rib, sagehens, and I can cook wild game and fish.  I stop in the name of love at rabbits, squirrels, porcupines and general roadkill.  If I was starving ..I'd change my mind.  Then I would eat pinecones and dirt, too. hysterical_2011.gif

You can make homemade ketchup,  add horseradish for cocktail sauce for fish. Use plain ketchup as topping for your meatloaf.   Some people use dates,  I don't.  

Found a recipe similar to what I use.  Make sure your tomato paste is just that. 

http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/04/12/homemade-sugar-free-ketchup/

Sconnie,  I leave you now to cook in your kitchen with wild abandon.  Do you know what I like most about making my own recipes?   It creates self-reliance.   If the zombie apocalypse should happen and you're on the run, you can throw anything together and make a meal. Kick that oven door shut, make some noise and dance.   Dinner is served.  

I'm inspired MeadowLily! I'm starting my Whole30 today - two days early than I had expected. I've made most of my bases (clarified butter, broths, veggie cuts, etc). I have some more work to do today...including another attempt at the mayo  :o ....THAT was interesting.....  

I made scrambled eggs this morning with the coconut milk and a bunch of veggies and OMG it is DELICIOUS! 

Archived