Kjb post Whole 30

violetta

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a great persian fusion rice bowl at the Drift Inn.  I will post this if I figure it out.  Eggplant, spinach, shrimp or chicken, pear chunks, golden currants,  carmelized onions in a coconut cream curry sauce and ginger with olive oil, toasted shredded coconut and toasted almonds.

• 2 weeks later...

Planning to try that persian rice bowl as soon as it cools off.  Back home after a long, cold trip to the Oregon coast.  Although It was very hot elsewhere, the coast was cool and drippy and windy and foggy.  We did have some good days initially but at Sunset Bay the fog barely lifted.  Last year, this was such a beautiful spot but this year we only saw the ocean well one day and we did get to see the sea lions once and went  out to Bandon and saw the sun.  But decided to come home early because of the weather and the car was acting up with the check engine light and surges.  We will  head out again as soon as it is fixed.  I think we will skip it next year and hope for no smoke.  I do like being warm and seeing the sun.  Managed the trip without gaining any weight despite some sourdough bread and a gluten free beer every night.  I do notice that I am not sleeping as well as in the trailer now.  I REALLY need to put away the tech about an hour before bed and NOT look at it all night.  We had no coverage in Sunset Bay and had to do other things, listen to audio stories, color, walk, read, write.  It was a little boring and nerve wracking but really better for sleeping.

I am kind of losing steam here, keeping the diet fine but finding little to write about.  I have find a new smaller size, a less painful body (haven't been to the doctors in months), and a more serene mind.  But it all seems so much a lifestyle now that I have little new to write about.  So signing off for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought that I would never vary from the diet because I felt so much better but started to stray while camping.  Started eating sourdough bread and Crave veggie chips and eating at night again and eating cough drops and letting more sugar creep in.  Also gained a few pounds and have more aches and pains.  So back to Whole 30 starting on Monday, Sept. 19th,  and really mostly starting now however I have a trip to play music this week so I may not be fully compliant, but I already got rid of the grains and the sugar, just might slip up a little with the dairy because it is so hard on the road.  I may continue to have a blended fruit, flax, and coconut milk drink with my breakfast, as long as I also have eggs and veggies, it does seem to settle my stomach well.  I don't think I could take the pain I went through without it during the last whole 30 so technically i may not be doing a complete whole 30, all compliant ingredients but a little SWYPO. 

So far, so good.  I managed to cut out the cream and maple syrup in my tea and drink it green this morning with just a little stomach complaint.  Had my smoothie with no yogurt, just some fruit, flax, coco milk and almond butter.  Still not ready for eggs for breakfast, will probably eat them for lunch.  First morning of fall yoga session this morning.  I ate very well yesterday until it got to happy hour and then had a gluten free beer.  But i immediately felt my legs kick up so I am really going to try to get to kombucha this evening.  The other sticking point is what to put on my salad.  Vinegar does not agree with my tongue, I need to find a new satisfying dressing without blue cheese.  I am also struggling with my dry mouth when out hiking.  I am used to using cough drops to add moisture, need to find something new. 

My tongue is kind of bothering me, I was picking plums and probably ate too many.  I managed to cut out all grains and legumes and sugar so far, still had a beer last night and some cream in my coffee this morning.  My stomach was burning a little so I ate some ginger. I made a great chicken soup last night and had it for dinner and for lunch today.  Already feeling a lot less pain without grains, much easier to get out of my chair.  

Haven't been able to kick the beer habit to the curb yet. Also I foolishly added some vinegar to my homemade dressing and my tongue was quite sore for a while.  I am going to try rinsing my mouth after eating any acidic food to see if that helps.  If not, acidic food will be out for a while.  Everything else is going well.  I did put a little blue cheese on my salad last night and paid with some bloating.  The cream in my morning coffee seems to be okay, perhaps because it is all fat but cheese really should be out.  Going to play tonight and for the next 3 nights so I should be okay with stopping beer, I have to to play.  

Ice cream, specifically Haggen Das ice cream bar.  Couldn't resist after the dance and before the long drive home.  And, I really am not starting until Monday, otherwise a great eating day.  A big serving of stir fried veggies and a piece of olive oil chicken at Huckleberries, I should have been full and able to resist but the dance was great, my fingers moved great and I went to REI and bought a  pair of pants, size 10 and they fit.  I have almost never been able to buy pants at REI, the fit was too small in the butt and too big in the waist in every size.  So victory and celebration, I know that isn't the way it is supposed to work but oh well, I will not beat myself up about it.'

Last long hike before the weather changes, I think, so last sandwich, boy was it good.  Starting a stricter Whole 30 on Monday and I will do the whole thing, weigh, photo, post meals, etc. I think.  Not gaining a lot of weight but more pain the more I eat wheat and sugar.  Nice salad dinner last night with hm blue cheese dressing.  I think I can make a decent  dressing with mayo that doesnt involve dairy or vinegar. 

I feel really awful this evening.  Totally bloated stomach.  I did have a piece of bread today just before beginning the strict Whole 30 tomorrow. But everything including my head feels awful.  I was exhausted after little sleep last night but I feel stuffed up too and my ears are ringing and I have a great big canker sore and dizzy.  Just in time to make it be different tomorrow.  

Working on first day.  I had my usual fruit and flax and coconut milk for breakfast with an egg for protein.  Lunch was 3 eggs in butter, zukes, mushrooms, peppers, 1/2 avocado, a little potato and unsweetened catsup.  I had a snack in the afternoon of broccoli and almond butter after working out.  Salad for dinner, I think. So to make it to a complete Whole 30 I need different coco milk that doesnt have carageenan, make some ghee, cook some sweet potatoes and make mayo for dressing.  So I will cook the sweet potatoes tonight and make make ghee and mayo and I should be good for tomorrow.  I need to get some full fat coco milk for coffee.

Doing great so far but now I am having a beer.  Just got growled at with teeth bared by a dog and then screamed at by owner who called the police and said I was trespassing which I wasn't, just on the side of the road.  When the police came, I was long gone and back home and the police went to his house and told him that he was totally in the wrong.  Dangerous dog designation was coming if I signed a complaint.  Didn't sign it, too small a town and the wife was just fine, we may be able to work this out.  But what makes men think they can verbally attack women they barely know.  He would never do it if my husband was there. I wish I could file a complaint against him.  I will next time he yells at me which I hope is never.  SO I am having a beer and starting over tomorrow.  I may go into town to get the rest of the food I need for the week.  I can't make enough of a list to give my husband, I just need to go to the store.  I need to be somewhere else where people are closer to normal and don't scream at someone they don't know.

Okay, starting over, I had a  pile of ground lamb with carrots and  onions in a tomato and coconut amino sauce over broccoli last night.  It seemed very strong at first, just the taste of lamb but I got used to it, at least it wasn't beef and I think I can see what the attraction is.  I was very full after the meal and didn't even think about snacking before bed.  But I did stay up really late googling other places to live, just frustrated by the hate showing up with the Trump phenomena in this deeply red community.  I think the screaming yesterday could have been part of that.  I just want to be around sane people although I don't know where that is and it would be difficult to get enough money selling our house to make a dent in buying another elsewhere.  Even though it is a beautiful house, no one wants to buy a house in a depressed area with the volatile mining industry.  And our house is just so beautiful, we would never find a better house.

Great day, had some flax and coco milk with fruit and an egg for breakfast with a couple of carrots. Lunch was veggies stir fried in olive oil and a chicken thigh.  Dinner is leftovers and a little salad. I am amazingly not hungry at all though, that lamb last night is still with me.  My canker sore is finally going away although my mouth still feels very burny. Spent the day shopping in the city. Got a lot of good food, took some hiking shoes back and got a new pair of pants, size 8! I picked out another pair and then changed colors without trying them on and they turned out way smaller so those go back.  The eights are a little tight but should be fine by the end of the month.

Yoga this morning, doing well with my strict Whole 30, I had a breakfast of fruit, flax and coconut milk and a few carrots for breakfast with an egg, then 3 eggs and veggies with avocado and potatoes for lunch. Dinner was lamb stew over some steamed cauliflower and a spoon of almond butter.  I got hungry in the night and had a few veggie chips.  I slept way better last night without alcohol and with kombucha instead.  Slept 4 + hours at the first stretch and then took an extra baclofen and slept for 3+ hours more! I had no RLS last night and may try to reduce Mirapex soon.  I did make an appointment with a neurologist, feel like I need to have a connection to one to continue working on the RLS and reducing medication.  I didn't think there would be one in this city that had any expertise but I will try this one before going to a bigger city or to Johns Hopkins after I get my secondary insurance in a year.  

That was yesterday's meals.  Today is the same breakfast with no egg.  I am eating 2 eggs, spinach, cauliflower, potatoes and 1/2 avocado in butter (need to make some ghee) for lunch.  Dinner will be a big chicken salad with all the normal ingredients with ranch dressing and grapes. I will probably have some more cauliflower and carrots for a snack and probably a spoon of almond butter sometime.  Feeling quite full of energy after last nights great sleep although I did fall asleep during meditation a whole bunch of times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Back to post whole 30, not a great one this time, I realize that I have lost 23 pounds in total, just none of it during the last whole 30, I guess I may have reached equilibrium, certainly when I tried to go further this time my stomach acted up terribly just like it did many years ago on Jenny craig.  I am trying out dairy again today, I did have a taste of yogurt for a couple days when my stomach was the worst so the reintro is not perfect, but I know i don't have much reaction to dairy already, just a little more mucus.  I weighed 136 this morning, probably a little higher than it really is because I weighed after eating and drinking tea when I decided to stop the whole 30.  Had cheese at breakfast, will have some yogurt at lunch and blue cheese and cottage cheese at dinner.  Then back to whole 30 for 3 days.  I think my order will be dairy, then non-gluten grains, then gluten grains, then legumes.  I may break up the non-gluten grains between rice and corn.  I really need to see what was making the RLS go away, I know it is mostly the alcohol but could there be something else?  I probably will not have to introduce alcohol, I am pretty sure it will drive a return to RLS.  I will probably just use the flow chart when I feel a desire to drink it and yes it will really mess me up.  I am working on my terrible reflux now with prilosec and glutagenics and mylanta in an emergency. I want to get back to where I was before the Whole 30 with almost no reflux.  I may have to find a gastroenterologist if nothing works to take it down.  I really don't want to be on prilosec for a long time again. I haven't had the continuous burning tongue or cough yet but it could be coming if I don't get this under control.   

Stomach much better, started glutagenics and it is already working.  Slept better last night on wedge and no hollow feeling this morning.  I had a bloated stomach all day yesterday though (dairy?, I hope not). Could be the election buildup.  Had cheese for breakfast and blue cheese dressing for dinner.

My stomach is completely better.  No burping, pain, last night and didn't even sleep on the wedge.  Now I can get on with reintro, I am going to check dairy again without the reflux and see if I still get bloating, I really hope not as I would like a small amount of dairy to be a part of my diet.  But I am completely happy with nutpods although it is really expensive.  Today is a Whole 30 day and tomorrow I will retest.  

I had a pretty strong reaction to the sourdough the next day,  lots of bloating and a huge stomach which went away by evening but my leg pain which had been gone for ages came back a little in the middle of the night but disappeared the next day. Also tried alcohol but I am sure that the reaction that I had was mostly to the election, nausea, stomach pain, burping headache, insomnia.  But no RLS, it would've been hard to tell anyway.  I was up for most of the night, staring at the returns bleakly.  Tried rice yesterday and did not have the reaction that I had last time, no bloating or burping but I am still having major stomach burning when I try to sleep flat, I am learning to sleep on the wedge but I do wake up a lot and that could be causing my leg to ache, having to sleep on my back.

Tried cheese again, no real reaction, perhaps a little gas.  I am going to start eating some dairy regularly, it seems to be relatively benign and with my other stomach issues, it seems to be what I need.  With the coming endoscopy and the serious reflux, my doctor is having me cut back on fat and protein and raw veggies and curries and coconut oil., so I will be eating more olive oil, less fatty proteins and some pureed soups and roasted mild veggies to get my veggies in. I think the endoscopy will be next week.  Although the doctor also had me stop curcumin and it does seem to have helped today, he says that about 20% of people react to curcumin supplements with a burning stomach.  We will see if it really helps.  Already stopped broccoli and other brassicas, onions and garlic and vinegars.  My tongue is still feeling a little raw and my tooth was acting up some.  It always seems to go together.  I will still test some other things as they come along but will be mostly riding my own bike and trying to eat low digesting food until we see what it up.  

Archived