Kjb post Whole 30

violetta

A massage and chiropractor visit helped to get my back together although there is still a little pain but not the stiffness.  Dr. M said that the SI Joint was locked and possibly one of the facets and also found some pain on the front of my upper ribs that he said may have accounted for the knots on my back.  Tried again to go without the second Mirapex but had to take a half at about 2 because my legs just wouldn't settle down.  But that is still better, went right to sleep after bala oil and some tylenol for a headache.  Took 2 Zanaflex at bedtime, but no tea.  Still took regular baclofen seriphos and Mirapex at 7:30.  Will start the grape seed extract today and have some salmon for Omega 3.  Still need to try vitamin c and d to get the full regimen but it is so many pills!  Still waking up every two hours or so and feeling a little dizzy and drugged from the Zanaflex.  But still can't sleep past 5, I may have to try the blackout shades.  

Blew the diet yesterday at lunch, there was just nowhere to eat in the area we were in but starbucks so we had a panini, tomato and mozzerella, with no serious consequences, just don't want to do it often,  I probably gained two pounds from that and a cider the night before.  I think my sweet tooth may be kicking up.  All I want for breakfast is that fruit smoothie, I will have to go back to eggs for a while if I can.  After the panini, I just wanted to keep eating, even after a great stir fry dinner.  I finally ate some avocado which stopped all the craving for more stuff in my mouth.  The banana and almond butter just doesnt do it.  

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I lost my doctor because of Whole 30 which is probably actually a good thing.  She tried to bully me into taking statins after my cholesterol went up a little after the month of Whole 30 and ignored the other factors against statins, my low triglycerides, high HDLs, low blood pressure, perfect body weight, exercise levels, etc. and my restless legs which make statins an impossibility.  And the fact that I had already failed most of the statins a few years ago.  And she also really talked down to me like I didn't know how to take care of my health and I should be eating low fat, etc.  So I called her on it and she basically said that we didn't seem like a "good fit".  I said I wanted to stay and just have her be more careful and respectful of my lifestyle and needs.

But here it is a month later and my new massage therapist called her to get a pro forma referral and diagnosis code for massage and she, of course, said that I need to come it for it and that would involve 200 miles and a 30 dollar copay and 4-5 hours of my time.  Obviously still peeved that I had called her on the bullying, I guess.  So I lost that doctor which is a shame because there are so few good women doctors in my city.  And the ones there are are mostly not taking new patients.  So I am back at my local podunk clinic with a pa, which maybe isn't so bad, I do have my wonderful naturopath who unfortunately can't be a primary care provider because he works in an arthritis clinic.  All I really needed a primary care doctor for was for annual exams, blood work, if I get sick which I don't very often and as a coordinator of care and the old doctor was really lousy at that.  Couldn't even do my free annual wellness exam without finding a way to code it so I have to pay a copay. And if she couldn't make a massage referral over the phone after a number of visits where we discussed my back pain, then there was no point. And she was really lousy at referrals, sent me to an awful spine doctor that was obviously a pain mill. Anyway, I think I do have to find a new doctor, this clinic is just not capable of handling complex care well.  But I might just get lazy and not do it for a while.

Hiked up Pulpit Rock and beyond on a ridiculously steep trail. We didn't make it to the flag pole, that probably would have been another 500 feet elevation and about 1/2 km.  My calves are killing me this morning anyway.  Canadians are really deluded about what they think is a moderate trail.  Had lunch in N and ate filo dough with spanakopita so some wheat and my stomach felt a little bloated after and I was very sleepy walking around town. Still trying to cut down on the mirapex,  switching to 2 zanaflex at night but that still doesn't quite work (I did forget the grape seed and curcumin in the morning). I think I am going to fall asleep but at the very last minute, my legs start acting up.  I had to get up and take a Mirapex but it takes such a long time to act that I took 2 tylenol also and went right to sleep.  Ended up eating a few sunflower seeds and 1/2 a banana for no apparent reason.  I need, need to use digestive enzymes instead when my stomach says eat.  No knee pain at all even after that brutal hike so I am going to cancel the MRA until I am sure that I need it or not.  Had eggs for dinner, they really taste great in the evening, I am just no longer excited about eggs for breakfast.  As long as it feels good and I don't start gaining weight or feeling bloated, I may continue with the smoothies.  Maybe I can find some other acceptable protein, maybe a powder, to put in the smoothie.  I know the flax is good for my inflammation.  The new research says that even acid reflux really isn't, it is also inflammation.  What else can I do to get rid of it?

Well, not canceling the MRA yet, my knee hurt last night and had to let it dangle off the bed for a while to calm it.  I did stay in bed all night, no extra magnesium or eating, and slept deeply almost 8 hours, put the mask on at 4 and did go back to sleep.  All compliant yesterday except the cheese in my lettuce wrap and some yogurt, no grains, and not a lot of walking, mostly house cleaning all day.  I did take 2 whole mirapexes last night because I have to teach today, could that make my leg hurt?  I have seen that muscle aches can be a side effect of mirapex.  I will have to monitor that.  My calves are still sore from the hike up Pulpit Rock, mostly only going down hill or stairs.  I wish I didnt have to sub today, it is a really beautiful if chilly day and I have to go to a gig tomorrow so won't get the benefit of the good weather for two days.   

I traveled yesterday to a gig in M and am back in C after staying overnight, I am quite tired of going so far for so little.  Not playing really well either because I am not practicing and my hand cramps up a lot and I forget a lot of the music.  I think the food situation is a lot of why I want to quit doing this.  Being at the mercy of others for food is a little frustrating.  I ended up eating hb eggs and carrots and almond butter for lunch and then the coop only had beef and pork, no chicken to be had anywhere and it wasn't even organic beef. I did eat a meatloaf piece and some soggy vegetables, mostly carrots, but covered it with lemon tahini dressing so I couldn't taste it too much, really don't like the taste. My opinion of the coop is way down and I would rather not play any more dances down there. My stomach feels a little bloated and I am a little nauseous this morning.  It could be the beef or something in it or too much almond butter or the Mirapex or the chocolate, or maybe being up until 1.

Getting back to P and Vs at 1 in the morning also was a drag.  Had to take an extra Mirapex to survive the trip so I am woozy this morning.  I did go right to sleep even after chocolate and green tea at the dance.  The skies have just opened this morning up in a way that hasn't happened for a couple years.  Wind and rain is lashing the cabin.  I don't know if we will play this morning but the roads may be flooding so going home could be a iittle treacherous.  

Busy day driving home from C after a very short night, I was very sleepy in the afternoon at home and just barely managed to stay awake last night past 8.  Slept great, hardly awake at all in the night but up at 6.  The extra mirapex on Saturday that I needed to be in the car at midnight made me groggy all day and the Zanaflex made it hard to play in the morning and I think caused hand cramps.  I think I will go back to baclofen, not so many side effects.  I ate terribly on the trip, lots of almond butter and chocolate at the dance.  Had a salad last night to recover but still feeling a iittle nauseous, bloated, and headachy from the bad diet and meds. I will try to get back to a non-sugary breakfast, a few eggs and veggies for breakfast are really better for my day.  

Tried going back to 1 baclofen and only 1/2 mirapex at bedtime  (still taking a baclofen, and mirapex at 7 pm) plus the new herbs.  Went to sleep right away but woke up at midnight with twitchy legs.  Took some leg cramp meds and a little potato and avocado and went right back to sleep.  We had changed to the summer quilt and I was really cold though and kept wanting more covers then throwing off the extra as I got hot.  I think it is back to the winter duvet until temps change back to summer.  I feel a lot less groggy this morning though from getting rid of the zanaflex.  I did have some knee pain at night but at least not exhausted in the morning.  I think I will try to take some leg cramp meds as I go to sleep to see if I can permanently stop mirapex soon.  

I tried being completely compliant yesterday except for my cream because I has gained two pounds in the last little while.  My stomach feels much better this morning a salad and chicken soup yesterday.  I might have to try going all the way after our trailer trip this week.  It could be that the few things that I have added back are stopping the weight loss and eating too much almond butter.  Mostly packing yesterday and taking a short walk.  I hope the weather starts cooperating soon and not being like winter on the coast.  Subbing today, third grade for the first time. 

Traveling in the trailer now.  So far, so good but I think some wheat in is my future.  I seem got get away with it more if I am traveling although my shoulder hurts right now and I haven't had any non-compliant foods.  Flax and yogurt and fruit for breakfast today though,  i will have some eggs a little later.  I love my trailer!  Kind of cold last night but we do have electricity to run a heater and will probably run it all night tonight.  I got a little cold last night.

I thought I could get away with eating a sandwich yesterday because we were at a great bakery with good bread but not.  My stomach was bloated all afternoon and I still feel very fat and bloated. I am going to be totally grainless all day and see if I recover. It may be harder while on the road but totally worth it.  I did get some exercise, a nice long walk along the river, and visited the town and got some great used books.  I set up the small heater which makes a white noise in the trailer last night and wasn't cold and slept great, J slept great too.  I only woke up twice! My knee did hurt during the night and I had to throw it off the bed for a while, maybe because I stayed asleep long enough on my left side to cut off some circulation.  

All compliant on my "ride your own bike" compliant, dairy Whole 30.  Just a little cream and cheese and no grains, alcohol, legumes, peanuts, etc.  I feel much better and somewhat emptied out, the wheat attack seems to be over.  The family ordered pizza last night and I was only a little tempted and ate a great spinach salad with chicken.  The few vegetables that they all eat is sometimes really shocking for people who profess to eat healthy.  We stocked up our veggies and chicken for the next leg of the trip, hard to fit it all in the refrig, some is spilling over into the cooler.  It was very cold last night, down to 39 in the trailer and hard to stay warm even with the little heater on but I still slept really well, a few wakeups and reading but no wide awake times and no RLS.  

In Canada for a few days with no internet.   Stayed mostly compliant except alcohol in the evening.  It is very hard to resist after a long day of exertion, hiking or paddling.  I can feel a little bloat but a couple days of kombucha should fix that.  We ate very well considering the circumstances.  I couldnt do it without the help of J.  

I weighed myself this morning and weighed 139 again.  I figured that I had gained because I have a little beer belly but not, so great.  i really tried to stay compliant and I guess it worked.  I had some great banana pancakes this morning with our own strawberries, so good.  I am still feeling a little tired from the trip but slept great last night, 6 hours before waking up.  Unfortunately, I did really wake up and since it was getting light and I couldnt find my mask, I really didnt sleep much after that.  But I had two flying dreams, the second one on a doze after 5 that was trying to convince me that it was real, that it wasn't just a dream.  I was able to leap off buildings and float down kind of like a flying squirrel.   This was mixed with teaching college and having no idea what I was doing so some anxiety mixed with serenity.  Off to take a walk this morning and then finish unpacking.

Going out to get firewood, worried about H. , don't want this to happen again.  I think I will need new clothes finally, all my clothes are really too big.  I need to get to a grocery store soon that is big enough for Whole 30 needs.  Missing almond butter and organic vegetables.  We got unpacked yesterday before the heat set in, just need to get the car top unloaded.  It is nice to be home and sit in my chair but we probably really should move after dinner instead of sitting.  

Ended up not getting firewood on Saturday, just too hot and we ended up just going for a walk up the hill and then resting inside in the heat.  Yogurt and flax and fruit for breakfast this morning, it tastes great but doesn't really keep me filled up.  Hard to do anything else when it is so hot.  I will try to fit in more veggies in the other meals.  I had to take an extra mirapex last night after not sleeping, probably was the sulfites in the hard cider and the 6 mile hike in the heat and high altitude and climbing over logs and tramping across snowbanks on #535.  We were pretty wiped out last night.  Finally got around to meditating this morning and we will have a yoga class again for the next few weeks.  Quite excited about that although it may be a little slow this morning with the heat and so many of the other students that do nothing when our teacher goes away on vacation.  How can they do that?  They lose so much.  I am still thankful every morning for Whole 30 and my total cure of IBS and GERD.  My tongue and stomach pain seems to be a thing of the past, it just never happens any more and diarrhea is totally gone. Now if the joint pain would just improve a little more.  Swollen lymph nodes this morning, fighting an infection of the usual kind, I am going to try monolaurin.

The weather has turned to cool and rainy and I got to make a great chicken soup last night.  I love chicken thighs even if they are really hard to cut up.  I almost don't need the work of cooking a whole chicken, I get great broth out of thighs.  I have been subbing for the last day and a half as the first grade teacher got sick on the last two days of school.  Basically baby sitting yesterday, computers, drawing, PE and more PE.  But hard to eat enough, I had chicken, cut up veggies, a Wholly Guacamole, grapes and was hungry by 2.  I had a rice crispy treat, something i hate, in front of me from a kid birthday and actually took a teeny bite before I was reminded of how much I hate those things, why do we give kids so much sugar?  I had some RLS last night despite no alcohol and a nice walk around town so I took an extra baclofen and ended up sleeping for 7 hours straight although I think I was awake once around 2:30.  I couldn't sleep any more past 5:30 so I am up now.  But I feel fine, I wonder if I should continue taking 3 baclofen, I had a lot less pain from my knee during the night.  

I am having a hard time getting back to eggs and veggies in the morning, the yogurt, fruit and flax is great and I don't really know if it is that bad for me.  Seems to keep me full with a HB egg or two.  My soup had loads of veggies and I ate a lot of raw veggies at lunch.  I don't know how some of you do another Whole 30, I love getting my yogurt and cream back, the grains I don't miss, I do like a little cheese sometimes too.  I had no grains yesterday, sometimes I do have a little white rice or tortillas, seemingly without much reaction.  Alcohol is really a problem though, I have an immediate reaction to it from my legs but it is so good to sit outside in good weather and enjoy a little one gluten free beer buzz.  I really think I react more to the sulfites in wine and cider than the actual alcohol itself.  I will have to try unsulfited wine or cider and check for a reaction.  But really I need to get over the mild pleasure from the alcohol and find another more natural high.  

I have an ultrasound tomorrow in the city and will stock up on some good veggies and meats.  Not too worried, just a little.  Might get a massage too if it fits, still feel quite stiff and sore most of the time, I just try to ignore it.  

Real rain and cold after the hottest temps ever in June.  I get to go to yoga today and then the ultra sound.  I ate banana pancakes yesterday and almost couldn't finish them.  I wasn't really hungry all day which hasn't happened lately.  Back to smoothies this morning, I may try it without yogurt to be ingredient compliant tomorrow.  

I slept great last night, went to sleep right away with no RLS, even after a gluten free beer.  No extra meds and didn't really wake up until I had slept for 7 plus hours.  I was wide awake at 5 and got up, there didn't seem to be any point to staying in bed, I may pay later but I had to get up.  We did work exceptionally hard yesterday getting firewood, I did a lot of hard splitting and even some wedge work.  I did have some pain under my shoulder blade last night probably from the wood splitting but it feels okay now.  

So very weird, possible success story, although about 20 years too late.  I went it for a repeat ultra sound to look at the uterine fibroids and they could find no evidence of the hydrosalpinx that caused my life long infertility.  I only have one fallopian tube after pelvic infection in college and the other one was blocked by a fluid filled closed end with adhesions.  After they did the ultrasound, the tech called the gynecologist to look because she couldn't find the hydrosalpinx, it had disappeared. Could it possibly be the diet that made it disappear? It was there a year ago or is it just natural menopause stuff?  I read a little about natural cures for blocked tubes but it all seems pretty fringe. 

Tried my breakfast without yogurt to see if I could hack a non-dairy day but I really didn't want to.  I think the yogurt really helps my digestion so I had a little bit.  And I really love my cream too.  I don't know if I could do non-dairy again very well.  My stomach feels great now after years of problems.  I would just love to lose a little more fat and weight but haven't been able to with adding a little dairy back.  Still eat almost no grains, a few rice crackers or rice occasionally, but the cheese and cream and yogurt have got me.  I had a big meal of sauted veggies in olive oil and roasted chicken in town but my tongue kind of got me after.  I really to  emphasis with cooks that there has to be NO black pepper and no vinegar.  

A rainy, cold day today.  I have to figure out what to do on these days.  All I can think of is practicing my instrument or cleaning the bathroom, neither of which are grabbing my attention.  I will finish meditating and yoga but what next?  I have brochures to mail and PSA's to write, could do that.  

I am considering going all the way back onto Whole 30 and stopping dairy for a little while.  It doesnt really seem like it will be difficult although detecting added sugars may be hard as we travel for the summer.  I would have to give up cream for coffee, yogurt at breakfast and eat more veggies, cheese at lunch, bc dressing on salads plus cranberries, the occasional rice crackers or rice bowl and occasional gluten free beer.  The hardest would be the cream, bc and occasional beer when we are camping.  I might start today so we are done by the middle of July for camping, but lots of pitfalls to negotiate with traveling and camp.  I would love to drop about 10 more pounds like I did last time, don't know if it will happen but it would be amazing even to just lose a dress size. I wonder if I could also get to drop the Mirapex down like I did last time.  I will have to think this through tonight and maybe just do a Whole6 before camp.  First test is my tea with coco milk this morning, can I hack it?

Started again with a version of Whole 30, can't really call it that as I will not be so vigilant about hidden sugars, just too hard when traveling and at camp.  But I will do my best and have given up dairy, grains and alcohol. I was already eating very little of those.  Already not eating legumes. It will still be "riding my own bike" but will try to stay completely compliant.   Made my chicken soup today and it was very satisfying, the breakfast frittata not so much.  The only thing that might stop me is if my tongue acts up.  Right now it is really sore, it started with some black pepper laden chicken in town but isn't clearing like it usually does.  There were some yellow tomatoes in the soup, they have never bothered me before but maybe they are now. I may need the yogurt to clear it.

This may end up being a Whole 7 as I can't imagine trying to negotiate camp without making some slips, even if inadvertent, it would kind of take the fun out of it.  I think after a week, I will just do the best I can and reintro slowly if I can.  I don't really need a lot of a jump start, i haven't gained any weight, I do have a little more pain, could be from all the wood gathering or hiking lately.  I am having some burning in my esophagus right now, could be stress getting ready for camp.  i think i may just give it up for now and eat the things that usually help like yogurt and cheese.  

I added cream back into my green tea, my stomach really couldn't handle plain tea and probably can't handle coconut milk instead of yogurt.  Sigh, it really would have been too hard at camp.  I was already making lists of all the foods I would have to bring to survive a Whole 30 at camp.  I may try again after camp.  I will just try to keep out the known inflammatory foods, like peanuts, quinoa, brown rice, beans, wheat, corn, so basically I will just try to be grainless and even that will be hard.  Most of the gluten free meals seem to contain rice or quinoa.  I will also try to keep down the dairy and just stick to my full fat yogurt and cream.  That will also be hard, I will basically have to cook everything.  I will get t menu from the cook and see what I need.  

My stomach was hurting all evening but after a couple digestive tabs, I was able to sleep through the night, although a little restlessly.  My knee also hurt a couple times during the night.  I will probably have to up my baclofen at camp.  Why am I doing this anymore?  I think I will quit the camp after this year.  Almost all my musician friends are not there anymore and I really don't like to dance anymore so why?  I am just coming to grips with that fact and wish I had bowed out this year.  At least, I need to get rid of the fragrance free jobs.  Getting too complicated.  It just seems like a hassle rather than a fun time.  Then again, maybe I will love it and develop new connections for playing music.  I need to remember the open mind.

So, I did try to do it but my stomach immediately started burning.  I seem to need the yogurt, or maybe it was the Italian chicken sausage that I put in my last frittata that was bothering me.  I do know that I mostly can't eat tomato but it seemed to be so little.  But I have lost weight or at least it feels like it just in the few days.  I have not had any alcohol for a few days nor any grains so maybe that is the key and that is certainly doable.  I just have real trouble getting rid of yogurt and salad dressing since I can't have any vinegar based dressings because of my tongue.  I was able to cut 1 mirapex and baclofen at night last night because I just forgot because I was having no RLS.  Ended up taking the Mirapex only at about 12 am because I couldn't sleep well but still no RLS.  I think I will try the CBT program that I have on my reading list or at least explore it.  I will probably need a better internet connection than I will have in Montana in a couple weeks.  So I may wait until fall if I can.  Looking forward to shrimp stir fry tonight, will I have rice or sweet potato?  I hope I can manage sweet potato.  We are running out of veggies and almond butter and eggs, just have to make it last until Sunday.  Sometimes I just want to move somewhere else so I don't have to drive a minimum of 60 miles for organic food.  The grocery store here is so pitiful, not even any usable lettuce and scabby, old sweet potatoes

My stomach is surviving again and my tongue seems to recover faster now.  I pretty much stuck to compliant foods yesterday but had cream in my coffee and a few grains of rice in my shrimp stir fries.  I also experimented with a splash of peanut sauce. I really want to see if the two times I have been very achy after eating peanut sauce is real.  So many foods and other factors cause my  back to flare up that I really need to know if the peanuts are what really did it.  Being a scientist, a sample size of two is really not enough and the hassle of making sure that everything is totally peanut free is difficult, if it is unnecessary I want to know.  I really don't plan to eat peanuts, just would love to worry about it a little less.  So far, only a twinge in my elbow and everything else is okay.  We are eating up the refrigerator today in preparation for leaving for camp.  I am a little worried still about how to eat at camp, if it is too bad I can come home.  It is not like I think this will be really fun, all my peeps are no longer going to camp.  My grocery list is very long and I will not have a private kitchen, just a shared kitchen that not many use except for drinks and snacks but still, the space is limited.  Still no RLS last night although my sleep was a little restless.  This is getting to be a trend, perhaps the theanine and grape seed and curcumin is really working.  I have stopped the valerian tea, tea right before bed is not really conducive to uninterrupted sleep.  

Archived