Balsamic Vinegar Question

andra1984

Hi all,

I'm on day 6, and have been listening to "It Starts With Food" while I've been cooking! I've been generally enjoying the programme, and am loving all the cooking I'm learning how to do (as is my husband!)

However, I just looked on the back of my balsamic vinegar and at the end it says "(sulphur dioxide)" - just like that in brackets. Does that mean it's been added? I didn't even think that my balsamic vinegar would be non-compliant... does that mean I have to start again?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Andra

• Moderators

I am afraid the Sulphur dioxide is a problem. For a simple statement, see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7426352/

If you want to scare yourself a bit, google Sulphur dioxide and read about it more generally.

It is amazing what vendors put in food. The problem the Whole30 is designed to uncover is how much "safe" levels of things like Sulphur dioxide actually effect people.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the help! I haven't had any today, and will go find myself some good old organic balsamic vinegar! I have decided not to "restart" my Whole 30, however, since this was an honest mistake, but I will add a couple of extra days on the end. Do you think that's okay?

Thanks for all your advice to this n00b :)

Andra

Better to have found that on Day 6 rather than Day 16 or 26, right?  :)

My mom brought home some little bottles of "flavored" balsamic vinegar yesterday because she thought I'd like them. I can't find my magnifying glass so I can't read the ingredients. Day 6 here for me too and I'm just leaving those little bottles alone because I have *no idea* what's in them.  ;)

Archived