Feeling Concerned

Hi! This is my second Whole30. I did one a year ago and was still very dependent upon fruit and specifically larabars to get me through my mid afternoon rut, especially in the early days of my whole30. I am trying to follow all of the guidelines more closely this time - ie: eating only 3 meals per day with pre and post workout meals and making sure I am eating enough at those meals.

I do have a few concerns, though. I am wondering if I am eating the right amount of fats per meals. I read somewhere that the fat in meat doesn't count toward the fat serving you are supposed to have with each meal? I made a crock pot pork roast and roasted chicken this week for my premade proteins and have been counting the fat per serving as my fat because both are so fatty (In my opinion). Is that wrong? Should I also be eating half an avocado? It goes against all my dieters brain notions so I need someone to spell it out for me.

Also, I've been having a green veggie + starchy carb with every meal. It is totally around 200 g of carbs per day - mostly in sweet potatoes and plantains (including post workout). Is that too much?

I get that I am supposed to follow the template and fill my plate with proteins and veggies and fat based on my hand size. I have the book and I've read it more than once. I just need a little guidance to be sure I'm not missing out on any of the benefits by keeping my disordered eating habits and not fully embracing the Whole30 life. Thanks!

Tricia

• Moderators

Yes, follow the Meal Template (linked below) which specifies extra fat besides what is in your meat. If you eat a really fatty cut, you may not need as much additional fat (maybe a few olives, or 1/4 avocado, for example). But I really wouldn't worry about being too exact.

I try to avoid starchy carbs at meal 1 most of the time and make sure I have some with Meal 3. As you are just beginning starchy carbs at all 3 meals is fine. Experiment as you go with how much/how many times a day you eat starchy carbs and see how you feel.

• Moderators

Just to add to what ultrarunnergirl said above, the best way to know if you're eating enough fat at your meal is how long you go between meals -- if you easily go 4-5 hours between meals, you're good. If you're not making it that long before you're hungry, you probably needed a little more fat. If you're going 6-7 hours between meals, maybe you overdid it a little. (This is assuming you're eating appropriate amounts of protein and vegetables as well.)

and don't worry if you have a meal that's a bit off one day, you don't need perfection, just nutrition :)

You can even have a whole avocado if you want, you'll know if the fat is too much as you won't be hungry for a long time.

If you're trying to find your balance, I really recommend eating within 1 hour of waking, it really helps to reset your body clock and get everything in your body revved up to face the day. Getting a good night's sleep does the same thing.

Archived