First week; Tongue is Sore!

I'm on Day 5 of my first round of Whole30. I am using the 7-day meal plan in the book.

By Day 2, I started to get little white dots, kind of look like little pimples (sorry, ick) on the edges and tip of my tongue that HURT. I have had these occasionally in my life, a couple times a year, and just a one at a time. But this is about a dozen of them and they really hurt. 

I did some googling and rinsed with warm salty water and this helped with the pain, and they simmered down for a day, but they are back again. 

Has anyone experienced this? I searched the forum but did not see anything.

Is this an allergy to something? Is this unrelated to Whole30? 

I'm eating far more vegetables than I usually do; far less wine (none!), I miss butter. But otherwise, the diet isn't too terribly different from what I had been doing previously. 

Wonder if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks,

Bonnie

I'm on Day 5 of my first round of Whole30. I am using the 7-day meal plan in the book.

By Day 2, I started to get little white dots, kind of look like little pimples (sorry, ick) on the edges and tip of my tongue that HURT. I have had these occasionally in my life, a couple times a year, and just a one at a time. But this is about a dozen of them and they really hurt. 

I did some googling and rinsed with warm salty water and this helped with the pain, and they simmered down for a day, but they are back again. 

Has anyone experienced this? I searched the forum but did not see anything.

Is this an allergy to something? Is this unrelated to Whole30? 

I'm eating far more vegetables than I usually do; far less wine (none!), I miss butter. But otherwise, the diet isn't too terribly different from what I had been doing previously. 

Wonder if anyone has experienced this.

Thanks,

Bonnie

Best to check with your doctor, but you may be having a reaction to acid food. They might be your taste buds that are sore, it can also happen from burning your tongue and a couple of other things.

• 4 weeks later...

I am on day 21 of my Whole 30 and I am having the same problem as Bonnie. About 3 days ago, the tip of my tongue started to hurt and I definitely have some inflamed taste buds. Mine have not cleared up either and they hurt! I thought the culprit might be some oranges we got at Costco, but I've been avoiding acidic foods since then and it has not improved. I've also tried some of the home remedies. I'm planning on a doc appt. in the next few days if this pain persists. Eating is uncomfortable. I'm interested in an update, Bonnie, if you figure it out.

• Moderators

I get very bad blisters on my tongue from eating raw tomatoes.  They can last for daaaaaaays after I stop eating the tomatoes and other acidic foods... it's extremely uncomfortable!  Could very well be from the oranges but once your tastebuds become inflamed, it does take a while for those sores to heal...

Archived