Ye Olde Apple Cider...

So I'm on round 2 day 11... already feel loads better, flatter tummy.. and this cyst that I have underneath my eyelid is starting to feel soft as though it's breaking up when normally (and it's been there for a year) it feels like a small, hard lump underneath the upper lid. Interesting right?! Anyway, that's a different post.

Here's the real matter at hand. Boyfriend, who is also undertaking Round 2, made a phenom apple cider braised cabbage last night that we had with some other tasty compliant meatballs and mashed jap sweet taters/parsnips that I made (I know, we are nailing this right?). The cider that he used was 100% apple cider (so compliant), and pasteurized but we'd opened it around thanksgiving and it's been in the fridge since then. The cabbage that was braised in it so SO SWEET. I felt as though i had made a mistake, like the meal I was eating couldn't be compliant. The cider tasted and smelled just fine but is it possible that having it in the fridge for so long changed the composition of the sugar content at all? I had terrible gas and some bloating after the meal and the next morning diarrhea.  Would love to know thoughts...or at least how long is ok to keep pasteurized apple cider after opening. Thanks!

• Administrators

I imagine your cider was fine, if anything age would reduce sugar content. My guess is that your tastebuds have changed and are recognizing the amazing sweetness that properly cooked cabbage has.

Carry on. :)

Archived