Energy?

Amber411

I am on day 22 of my whole 30 and... also day two of my period. I am usually a 28 day cycle but I started about 4 days early and could feel pms symptoms two weeks in advance. I'm guessing this could be my hormones just trying to balance themselves out? I've been craving sugar like crazy...but have been eating more fruit...which I almost started my whole30 over because of it until I read the other post about allowing for more fruit around this time. My biggest problem is that I have no energy, I just feel a bit weak and dizzy and it is frustrating me. I am trying to decide if a little exercise might purk me up or if I should just take a complete rest day. Thoughts?

I am on day 22 of my whole 30 and... also day two of my period. I am usually a 28 day cycle but I started about 4 days early and could feel pms symptoms two weeks in advance. I'm guessing this could be my hormones just trying to balance themselves out? I've been craving sugar like crazy...but have been eating more fruit...which I almost started my whole30 over because of it until I read the other post about allowing for more fruit around this time. My biggest problem is that I have no energy, I just feel a bit weak and dizzy and it is frustrating me. I am trying to decide if a little exercise might purk me up or if I should just take a complete rest day. Thoughts?

I need more salt on paleo and I blow threw salt during my TOM. When I'm low, I feel exhausted and run down. Try a salty broth and see if it helps.

I am through my first and into a re-start of my second Whole30 (did them back to back) and I still have not gotten to that place of great energy people have talked about. I have never consumed so much meat in my life, so I wonder if this is really right for my body. I agree with the eating whole foods part, but I miss having more energy.

Hi Robin,

I do have a food log from my first Whole 30, but work picked up and I have not been posting one during the second. Still I can give you a pretty a good sense of what I have been eating this week, for example

Breakfast

Sweet potato and free range pork hash

Lunch

Middle Eastern Meatballs (1 lb lamb combined with [fresh mint leaves, curry powder, 1/2 onion, 1/4 c golden raisins, 1 eggs, 1/4 c almonds mixed together in the food processor]), cauliflower rice, 1/2 avocado.

OR

Middle Eastern Meatballs on a bed of spinach with 1/2 avocado

Dinner - Well Fed's Comfort Noodles (Zucchini, garlic, 3 eggs, toasted almond meal [take almonds and pulverize in mortar and pestle]

OR

Sweet potato and free range pork hash with Spinach salad (Spinach, 1/2 Avocado, red cabbage, and small apple diced)

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated because my energy level is just awful.

Thanks, Bucket!

Megan's questions about your goals and activity are really important. Also, it seems like you could use some more fat in your diet. If you've made the switch to using fat as fuel, but then aren't giving your body enough of it, you could be running low on energy. Maybe try adding a little more to each meal and see if that helps your levels a bit. It's a good excuse to eat berries with coconut milk along with your hash. ;0)

Thank you Robin and Megan,

I have started a new food and activity log, so hopefully that will help with the trouble shooting the low energy. The questions about my goals are good ones. I have been thinking about this.

1. Feeling clear headed is probably the most important to me right now.

2. Energy follows closely behind that.

3.Leaning out, toning up, and losing a bit of weight follow those. There are a few skirts and pairs of pants I want to fit back into or have fit me better. I am about 5-10lbs from my preferred weight.

I've started a new job in a new country and that tossed quite a wrench in my schedule. I am now in my 4th week at the new job. During the second week I started walking home from work each day - 2 miles in 98*F heat at 6pm. And this week I started building back in my Body for Life workout routine. I've not done a BFL style workout in a while - I was running and doing Barre3 back in Seattle. I was working out in the afternoons, but I think working out in the mornings gives me more energy.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and support. I really want to see results because I believe that eating the Whole30 way is right in principle - I just need to really need to have it deliver for me. I know that some of it must be user error and/or that combined with figuring out what really works best for my body.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling with a lack of energy as well. But I haven't been sleeping well either and am struggling to make it to my yoga classes.

This is not since starting the Whole 30 (I'm on day 10), I've had problems with exhaustion and fainting since 3 months ago. I was blaming stress from planning my wedding, but we got married early September and I'm still not even close to my normal self.

I'm hoping after a few more days on the program things will improve!

This is interesting that you say your period was 4 days early. I'm also on a 28 day cycle, and on day 10 of Whole 30 (but would've been day 25 had I not cheated) I'm on birth control so usually am on time with my period. This month I'm a week early with my period which I thought was really odd being on the pill but you mentioned hormones. I wonder if my hormones are balancing also and that is the reason I'm early. I also have a 7 month old and don't think my body is 100% back to normal.

• 3 weeks later...

I also got my period early and I'm also on the pill. Mine was 12 days early (while still on the pill) and now 10 days later I'm getting my period again at my normal time. I'm on day 22 of my first W30 and I've had my period for almost half of it. I also don't have any energy and I've tried added more fats and protein. Could it be I'm tired because my body and hormones are still adjusting to my new diet? I used to eat (a pretty crappy) SAD and this has been a real challenge for me. I've also had problems with feeling really full and not going regularly. I'm planning on doing this longer than 30 days and hopefully I will eventually feel 'the magic'.

Archived