Starting on Monday January 25th!!!!!

BeckyDouble

Day 22, right? HOME STRETCH! It's so weird cause it all feels so normal now. I am wearing a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in a year. I feel great.

Today I forgot my breakfast so I went to the store to load up on some things.

Any good ideas for things to buy at the store that you can eat at work without cooking? I got:

- hard boiled eggs

- carrots

- cucumbers

- apples

- almond butter

- dried apricots

- almonds

- smoked salmon

- avocado

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Day 22, right? HOME STRETCH! It's so weird cause it all feels so normal now. I am wearing a pair of pants today that I haven't worn in a year. I feel great.

Today I forgot my breakfast so I went to the store to load up on some things.

Any good ideas for things to buy at the store that you can eat at work without cooking? I got:

- hard boiled eggs

- carrots

- cucumbers

- apples

- almond butter

- dried apricots

- almonds

- smoked salmon

- avocado

Canned tuna or salmon (don't forget a can opener if they're not pop top cans), rotisserie chicken if you can find a compliant one, olives, Wholly Guacamole (not all varieties are compliant, read your labels).

The best tip for going out to eat is to plan ahead. Look online at the menu, pick out some things that look like they might work, and then call the restaurant on an off time, not at their busy times. Talk to them and tell them what you need and find out what they recommend. Steak places, seafood places, and places that make everything from scratch are your best bets.

More tips here. Also try googling Whole30 dining out for past discussions in the forum, and if there's a particular restaurant you're considering, google Whole30 plus that restaurant and see if there are past discussions of it that could give you some ideas -- but never trust what you read here completely, use it as a starting point and still confirm with the restaurant.

I had to go out two nights in a row this past weekend with friends and I really feel good about it! We went to red lobster (I'm not a chain restaurant person usually) bec I knew I could get what I needed. Had grilled salmon, two servings of steamed broccoli and a house salad with olive oil and red wine vinager. It was great! Totally watched my friend eat all 3 cheddar biscuits :) then went to a local place and they were also accommodating! Had chicken with no sauces, green beans and then they substituted a fruit cup for the second side. I feel really good about my choices!

I had to go out two nights in a row this past weekend with friends and I really feel good about it! We went to red lobster (I'm not a chain restaurant person usually) bec I knew I could get what I needed. Had grilled salmon, two servings of steamed broccoli and a house salad with olive oil and red wine vinager. It was great! Totally watched my friend eat all 3 cheddar biscuits :) then went to a local place and they were also accommodating! Had chicken with no sauces, green beans and then they substituted a fruit cup for the second side. I feel really good about my choices!

Now that we are in the home stretch, my wife and I have actually more tempted by "noncompliant" foods than we were in the beginning.  It is not so much we feel like we are missing out on things, but it more based on convenience. Not having the ability to pick up something after work or when we both work late has been tough.  Last night we bought a 13 yr old a whole bunch of junk food since he was coming home from eye surgery and that did not tempt us (although the smell of the cupcakes when we opened the package was a bit tough).  Because I have been spending a lot of time visiting different people in hospitals the past two weeks there has not been much time to prep and as a results our meals have become some variation of a protein salad, salad greens, and fruit.  What is getting to us is the ability to grab something quickly to break up the monotony of what the meals have become.   I think if we would have had the same prep/cooking time I did in week 1, I honestly do not think we would be tempted at all.  I know you cannot plan completely for the unexpected, but I now know for us, prep/planning is key for us doing it successfully.  Definitely something to keep in mind the next time we do this. 

The prep/planning is key for me too. I miss the convenience (and the taste!) of grabbing a pizza on the way home after a long day. But I'm still trying new things to break up any monotony. I found a great website, paleoleap.com which has lots of great recipes. I think some need to be tweaked for whole30, but it's very doable. Good for you for staying on track, even in the midst of the unexpected!

I agree that it's almost harder to stay compliant now .- weird! I guess the energy from the beginning has worn off. But only 6 days to go! we've got this!

I have my prenatal appt today and I am sure I will look at the scale. But since I am pregnant I am not worried about weight but rather about health.

Ok please don't flog me when I say this but I fit into smaller pants today!!!! I put on my fat pants this morning for work and they fell off so I skeptically tried the smaller size and they fit!!! I literally jumped up and down in my bedroom.

For me this journey is a little different. I spent years (6+) having dr tell me I was crazy for thinking something was wrong with me that was causing the 40 lbs weight gain and finally I was vindicated this past fall and given a clean bill of health the first part of January. So this journey for me is about getting my life back and my body back. So while I've had the fears of eating out, etc I really haven't been tempted to eat anything bad and feel amazing with energy (but that's prob bec I went years with zero energy and just getting back to what good feels like). I feel like this program is exactly what I needed to feel empowered again and I am more driven than ever to be successful and keep this going until I feel ready to start reintroducing foods.

I am so proud of all of us for sticking to it!! We rock!!!

• Moderators

Ok please don't flog me when I say this but I fit into smaller pants today!!!! I put on my fat pants this morning for work and they fell off so I skeptically tried the smaller size and they fit!!! I literally jumped up and down in my bedroom.

For me this journey is a little different. I spent years (6+) having dr tell me I was crazy for thinking something was wrong with me that was causing the 40 lbs weight gain and finally I was vindicated this past fall and given a clean bill of health the first part of January. So this journey for me is about getting my life back and my body back. So while I've had the fears of eating out, etc I really haven't been tempted to eat anything bad and feel amazing with energy (but that's prob bec I went years with zero energy and just getting back to what good feels like). I feel like this program is exactly what I needed to feel empowered again and I am more driven than ever to be successful and keep this going until I feel ready to start reintroducing foods.

Yay yay yay!!!  Good for you!  Happy small pants day to you!

No flogging!!! Way to go!!! I don't think I have gone down a size yet, but clothes fitting much better!!!

Congratulations!! It's awesome to see such results. I know my pants are a bit looser but my husband has definitely gone down a pant size. Yay!

I really don't want this to end. I enjoy cooking again instead of being the mode of 'just get something on the table,' even though it was whole, fresh food but I was in a rut. And I had no idea I liked sweet potatoes so much!!! Oh my goodness!! - I could eat them every day. I avoided them in the past because they were a 'carb.' Have you tried the scotch eggs? They are easy, tasty and fun to make. 

Ok, so I know it doesn't really have to end but I know my husband wants to reintroduce a few things. One day at a time. 

Day 29!!! WOWZA

I was not very prepared for this morning and had to do another emergency grocery run. Also down to the dregs of our budget for the month - but I can do two more days!! I am going to study up on reintroduction today and start making a plan

how is everyone!?

I think it is crazy to think that the end is almost here.  Thirty days seems like such a long time and it almost seemed impossible.  The thing is that is wasn't which is just as crazy for me.

I will say we are starting to get a little stir crazy.  The idea of cream in my coffee or finally being able to go back to one of our favorite places and get a Chicken Fatoush Salad is getting hard to ignore.

The weird thing is there isn't anything that I feel like I need to eat once done! I just may not question the waitress to death about every single ingredient. I still have a little way to go. Even when doing the fast track it means the basic whole30 will continue for a couple more weeks. I actually feel like I can maintain this new lifestyle! I have a long list already of NSV I am happy to say!!

Day 29! I can't believe it! I don't see myself changing the way I eat all that much after day 30, though it is a drastic change from the way I used to eat. I will just be a little more relaxed (like if my sunflower seed butter has added sugar, I'll still use it in a recipe). I am looking forward to having a glass of wine or slice of pizza one day, but I don't see myself going crazy. I feel way too good to turn back, and I don't really miss carbs like I thought I would! Woohoo! :)

I think I will start with legumes, as the book recommends. Some PB, some soy sauce, maybe some hummus. See how it goes.

I ate out last week and I ordered compliant (I think) but my stomach was NOT happy so I wonder if there was something non compliant that they didn't mention. We shall see.

I was debating whether or not to start with the non gluten alcohol, it just so happens that day falls on a function where there will be alcohol so I decided to start there. I have really not missed it, but also want to see how my body reacts. I have really not missed anything, which really surprises me.

Day 30!! Woo! Hoo!

I really do not see how I am eating changing too much as I am not really craving anything that I excluded.  It would be nice to have more options though.  for example, I am liking my breakfasts, but it would be nice to have the option to have cereal or oatmeal everyone and a while as opposed to having it everyday like I used to (of course this is provided these things do not kill me when I bring them back in)

The big takeaways so far,

1) As long as I have proper sized meals I do not need to snack all day (I started coming to this realization before we started the whole 30)

2) Goodbye to the Costco sized boxes of fiber one and granola bars

Also, I am looking forward to gong through the boxes of non-compliant food I left at my folks garage to see what we really do not want anymore.

Archived