Sleeping and Whole30

Today I am on Day 6.

I’ve noticed for the last couple nights I have had trouble falling asleep. I feel tired and I’m ready to sleep, but when I lie down it takes an hour to an hour-and-a-half for me to finally fall asleep.

Is this normal?

Added information: I don’t eat right before bed. I don’t eat within 3 hours of going to bed. I drank some tea last night, but I normally drink tea before bed and wasn’t having near the problems falling asleep before I started my W30 that I am having now.

Sometimes changing the way we eat affects our sleep in the beginning.  This is because our hormones are adjusting.  What we eat affects our hormones.  Our hormones affect our sleep.

It should pass in a couple of days.

However if you would like - please feel free to list out a couple of days worth of your meals for us to take a look at.  Maybe there are some recommendations we can make. 

• Moderators

How about your habits? Do you watch tv/surf the internet/look at a screen before bed? Eliminating that is key for many.

Stress? If you are under a lot, try some meditation. Keep it simple. Basically breathing mindfully in a place away from noise and people will help.

If the tea is caffeinated, you may need to switch to herbal. I had to ratchet down to half caf, then 1/4 caf my first Whole30. I'm at full decaf now and feel no need to go back.

Good luck!

How about your habits? Do you watch tv/surf the internet/look at a screen before bed? Eliminating that is key for many.

Stress? If you are under a lot, try some meditation. Keep it simple. Basically breathing mindfully in a place away from noise and people will help.

If the tea is caffeinated, you may need to switch to herbal. I had to ratchet down to half caf, then 1/4 caf my first Whole30. I'm at full decaf now and feel no need to go back.

Good luck!

Actually I did both (TV and phone) before going to bed last night.

Stress? Maybe. I'm working a 50-hour week this week.

And yes, the tea was caffeinated. Maybe I'll switch to water.

We'll see what happens in a couple days.

I've done the Whole30 multiple times and I *always* have trouble sleeping. I even added sweet potatoes to my evening meal, upon someone's recommendation, in the hopes that it would help. It never has. I'm currently on Day 5 of my current Whole30 and the sleep problems are here again, and I anticipate they will remain. I plan on extending my Whole30 to a possible Whole60 this time, so we'll see if that helps, but I'm not too hopeful. I have tons of energy, so I shouldn't complain. But I do miss sleeping, that delicious feeling of waking up after a SOLID night's sleep. Ah well ... 

Archived