trouble falling asleep?

has anyone else had trouble falling asleep during the whole30? i'm on day 9 and i've definitely been sleeping harder (better) than usual most nights, and waking up without an alarm, but i've been laying in bed for at least 30 minutes to an hour every night before finally falling asleep.

the timing hasn't really changed, and i've only been sleeping between 7-8 hours a night. i'm not sure if this is related or just random and i can't fall asleep easily this week!

just wanted to see if this is common :)

Hi Gatork -

Yes, I had the same issue as well when I first did a Whole30, and I am someone who 95% of the time falls asleep when first hitting my pillow. I just chalked my situation up to my body making some drastic beneficial adjustments to real food. Maybe that was silly. Other factors can play a role with certain folks too such as evening exercising or stress that can cause difficulty with falling asleep. I am way past my first Whole30 and still have trouble from time to time, but I really think it is because of my intense CrossFit regimen in the evenings. Knowing the importance of sufficient sleep could be enough to keep someone from falling asleep as well, which could be part of my problem too. I know this may not be helpful, but just know you are not alone.

Yes, I'm finding the same! I put it down to me feeling very buzzed up and positive about it all-I kind of have that excited 'night before a holiday' feeling most nights since I started (am on day 8 of my first W30)

It's totally normal to have sleep disturbances as your body adjusts to this new way of eating. Your hormones play such a large role in everything, including sleep, and as they adjust, your other patterns adjust too. Pre-bed activity also plays a large role, as Summer alluded to. Turn off your TV, computer and phone an hour before bed, don't eat too close to bedtime (or exercise, if you can help it) and ensure your room is nice and dark, and cool. You can also try supplementing with some Natural Calm or other form of magnesium supplement - this stuff works really well for sleep.

Melissa

thanks for the quick responses - glad to know i'm not alone!

i do workout in the evenings (pretty late) but it's never been an issue before...usually by the time i get home from the gym i'm ready for bed (if not earlier, haha).

and thanks, melissa! i do not take a magnesium supplement yet..will definitely be adding asap!

• 9 months later...

I'm having trouble falling asleep as well. I finished my first Whole 30 1/31 with amazing results in everything but sleep. I came here for answers but I have a suspicion it's partly due to my iPhone addiction! I'm hoping picking up a book in the evenings instead will help.

I like having a little bedtime routine to tell my body it's time to turn off. Wash my face, grab a cup of tea (usually chamomile and lavendar), read a little of a book that's "non-habit forming" (i.e. non-fiction or sciency, not a novel that I can't put down). Oh, and I tell the husband in the next room to turn down the TV volume! :)

Archived