Need food I can take on the plane

leeleigh0829

I am starting my first-ever Whole30 next Monday, Feb. 29. 

I live in Northern California and have to fly down to LA once a week for work. My food options at that office are VERY limited—there are really no restaurants close to the office and the cafeteria there has mostly junk food. I'm thinking I need to pack my own food on those days so I stick to three meals a day, but I'm not sure what I can bring that won't get taken away by security (I do not have time to check luggage ... everything must be carry-on so no liquids).

Anyone have any advice? 

Tinned tuna? (we can get drained tins here so no liquid) Pouches of olives? Hardy veg (cucumber, carrots, celery, peppers etc)? Boiled eggs? Avocados? Individual pouches of coconut/nut butter?

You'd need to check in advance with the airline as to what you are allowed to carry on in terms of fresh veg or pre-cooked meats, but if you can bring on a cooler bag you're sorted as all you'll need to do is pack a few tupperwares of left-overs...

How long is each trip?

If it's just 24 hours, if you can use a cooler bag as your personal item, I think you'd probably be all set. You can get little containers that are clearly less than 3 ounces to put mayo or guacamole in, keep them in your quart-size bag through security, then put them in the cooler bag after you get through. I've never had anyone at security question me when I've brought vegetables or fruit (I've never tried sliced chicken or anything, but as far as I know there's no rule against it!). I think your biggest hurdle would be taking the time to prep before your trip, plus packing any condiments you need. Otherwise I'd just take whatever I'd normally take for lunch at work: today I have spiced salmon with sauteed zucchini, plus guac (and plantain chips - I am *not* on a Whole30). Meatballs with raw veg and mayo, tuna or chicken salad... 

• 2 weeks later...

I found aidells chicken apple sausage which are very tasty and can be easy on the go! Especially if you have a microwave you can heat them up. Applegate hot dogs also work for easy! Larabars are great for on the go when you can't find anything else but don't rely on those because our body still sees it as satisfying the sugar dragon.

Is there a grocer that delivers where you are staying? So many deliver now you could look ahead and have some groceries ready to go when you get there!

Raw nuts, veggies and fruit also make a great snack on the plane.

• 3 weeks later...

Epic bars are always good for a quick protein, and I think they are all w30 compliant? And take a cooler with veggies that are ready to eat. I think there's a 3oz exemption for medically necessary stuff, but to be safe, i would probably keep all the liquid/gel condiments 3oz or less and drain anything larger if possible.

Full transparency...I am a Whole30 Newbie and I am facing this same challenge as I travel weekly for my business.  I have used the following (usually stopping by Trader Joe's or Whole Foods mid-week): raw veggies, organic baby food (this is a trip when I pull this out on the plane) - just make sure it is no sugar added, there are a number of flavors that work well, sweet potato, squash, etc., wild caught salmon in tins, (or the tuna), fruits/raw almonds/cashews (sparingly), and when in a real pinch, the compliant RX bars (discount code "Whole30" gets you 10% off).  Hope this helps and if more experienced members see anything wrong with any of the above, please comment.

Epic bars are always good for a quick protein, and I think they are all w30 compliant? And take a cooler with veggies that are ready to eat. I think there's a 3oz exemption for medically necessary stuff, but to be safe, i would probably keep all the liquid/gel condiments 3oz or less and drain anything larger if possible.

Things I Learned: not all epic bars are compliant, but many are

Archived