Definitely not an athlete, but would like some help with pre and post workout meals?

katieblue

Hey everybody!

My headache and anxiety from the initial detox are finally gone, and I'm so happy to be heading back to the gym tomorrow morning. I usually wake up at 5am and head directly there. I do anywhere from 20-45 minutes of fairly light weight training and then anywhere from 45-90 minutes of cardio, generally at powerwalk pace that varies every few minutes or so. I'll do this 3-4 times per week and the amount of time committed to strength/cardio varies by the day. 

I'm normally not hungry before the gym or for a while afterward, but after everything I've read here so far, I'm going to make sure I get some food down. So, I'm wondering if any of you lovely folks want to share some examples of pre-and-post-workout meals?

If I understand correctly, I should not be eating carbs before the workout so my body will know to start burning fat instead of glucose. So something with fat is appropriate here, like a chicken thigh? A hard-boiled egg? Some avocado?

And then post-workout should be some lean protein, and carbs are okay here? Like a little tuna or chicken breast and sweet potato?

Just looking for some examples that have worked for others. :)

I'd start with a hard boiled egg, add some mayo if it's too dry for you (low carb) before your workout and some chicken breast and sweet potato afterwards (low fat).

The Pre gets you ready to work out, telling your body stuff is about to happen so it had better wake up and be ready.

The Post is to help replenish for your recovery, it's the only time low fat is good as fat slows down the "refill" process, in this context, fast is better.

A social tip from the sardine lovers, most gyms don't like you eating sardines inside the gym, due to the smell ;)

Thanks for the input, Mrs.Mathias!! I guess it's worth giving them a shot! Can't hurt to have more variety. :)

Also, I have another question - does it matter how soon after the post-workout meal we eat breakfast? Mine has generally been between one to two hours after, like I'll have my post-WO at 7am and eat breakfast at 8:30.

Also, I have another question - does it matter how soon after the post-workout meal we eat breakfast? Mine has generally been between one to two hours after, like I'll have my post-WO at 7am and eat breakfast at 8:30.

I'd like to know as well, since that what I do, too. Post WO, shower, change, then make breakfast.

Archived