I have to be rich to do this.

Andrews615

I lost over 80 pounds. Not with the whole30 system, but by cutting out a lot of foods that I was eating that were really bad and moderating what I did eat. I started to work out after I lost that weight in order to get up to healthy 210 pounds, which is 30 pounds more than what I am now. Even with whey protein shakes and eating 3500 calories per day, I'm having a hard time putting on that muscle with regular workouts. With this system the only way I could see getting that much protein without beans and without the amount of almonds and nuts that I'm eating per day would be to just eat six or seven pounds of meat per day. Not only am I not able to afford that, but my stomach simply will not fit that much food in it each day. I don't see how this program could ever be effective for someone trying to bodybuild. I do see its benefits for someone trying to lose some weight, although you have to cut out a lot of very good foods in order to do so.

• Moderators

The Whole30 approach would stop you from eating 6 or 7 pounds of meat per day because that much meat is unhealthy for your body. The reason you cannot eat that much real meat is because your body knows that is unhealthy and would rebel. However, you can fake the body out by eating protein shakes and actually reduce your health by consuming too much protein. Modern body building reduces health, so you are right, the Whole30 is not a good choice for a body builder. 

What protein target are you trying to hit? There's different schools of thought about what multiplier to use, even among the strength training and bodybuilding communities.

So if I read your post right, you weigh 180 now and want to gain 30 pounds of muscle?

Archived