**Not a Significant Source

Bowhunt24

Hey all! Great forum, first post here. My wife and I are nearly 3 weeks into the W30 after seeing her sister have some amazing results. I prepped a pot roast last night to turn on in the crock pot this morning before work. Delicious chuck roast seared off with SnP, parsnips, turnips, carrots, onions, celery and crimini mushrooms. Aaaannnndddd.....a cup and half of organic store bought beef broth (I know, I know...make your own bone broth at home, it's easy. I know! I made 6 quarts of W30 compliant Pho Broth at the beginning of the program, but we ate it all and didn't have time to make more).

So here's my question, there is fructose in the ingredients, however it is asterisks'd with a side note saying "not a significant source". The nutritional value also lists sugar at 0 grams. 

Is this going to totally derail her efforts or is this a minor oversight? I also don't understand how if this is bad, an orange with 6 grams of fructose is okay? But that's probably for another post.

Also, if anyone wants my Pho broth recipe it was pretty tasty, just let me know!

Thanks,
Evan

• Moderators

Fructose in the ingredient list of beef broth makes it NON-compliant during a Whole30. We ask you to read labels in advance of using a product and to skip everything that has added sugar. I've not seen a vendor call added sugar fructose before, but that doesn't matter... it is sugar. Not noticing there was added sugar in your broth is not worthy of restarting, but you can't use this broth anymore. The rules do not give you discretion to include "a little" added sugar. Part of doing a Whole30 is figuring out how to eat without including all the inappropriate crap that vendors put in food. And there are compliant, store-bought broths. They are rare and your store may not offer any, but I have seen several over the years. Also, you do not need to add beef broth to a crock pot to make pot roast. I make pot roast in the slow cooker all the time without adding any water or broth. Meat and veggies make their own "broth" nicely, although I often add a can of diced tomatoes. 

• Moderators

'Not a significant source' is allowed to be written on the label if the ingredient is in the product but is calculated at 0 grams per serving... it's shady and meant to be confusing...

If it's in the ingredients it's out... whole 30 doesn't care if it's a tablespoon, a dash or a cup of the non compliant ingredient... if it exists in the product, the product is out.

Archived