Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

Do you mind if I join in?

I started on March 21. I'm definitely feeling like Killing All The Things today, which is what took me from lurker to poster. I started off totally OK this morning and then it was like, "ohhhh here it comes." I'm drinking black coffee, and it's really getting to me not having cream and sugar, PLUS diet pop withdrawals.

All week I've been eating a stir fry of cabbage, beef, peppers, onions, and mushrooms for breakfast.

For lunch I had a leftovers from last night's dinner - turkey, zucchini, spinach, sundried tomatoes, with a lemon and chicken stock. Plus, a few pistachios AND I ate a compliant Lara bar to take me off the edge.

I making a chicken sausage-sweet potato hash for dinner.

A sausage-sweet potato hash sounds awesome. I'm going to have to try that. I've had some VERY irritable moments myself. Luckily they haven't lasted long. And today I had my first feeling of happy elation for a brief moment that I experienced often during my first whole60 last year. Hang in there!! Sounds to me like you are doing great!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easter plans??? Holidays in general.

So we are approaching our first holiday, and they all seem to revolve around food. What are everyone's plans for eating during Easter weekend? I have found that deciding ahead of time exactly what I'm going to do and having emergency complaint foods on hand is essential in surviving a holiday.

(And please excuse my seeming to assume that everyone celebrates Easter, I'm not that narrow minded, but it is good to talk about how to handle holidays, and easier to talk this way than constantly adding "if you celebrate Easter" to the end of everything.)

We are having a non-traditional Easter weekend. All of our kids are old enough that they don't care to Easter egg hunt anymore, and the only day we can all get together is Saturday. We will be at our daughter's and niece's volleyball tournament about 30 miles away all day from 7am until 4pm. So the family decided that we should all go out to eat Saturday evening as our celebration.

This means I have to pack food that I can eat cold for lunch at the tournament and also plan to eat out for dinner. Which is challenging on a whole30. I'm cooking ribs. Making extra and can eat them cold. I have boiled eggs. And can make a salad. For dinner out, I will make my own salad dressing and pack it. Almost every restaurant has a salad. In the past, I have actually eaten a salad at a restaurant and then eaten some meat in the car on the way home. :)

I will also pack some olives, kombucha, applesauce, and jerky. Maybe an orange. Definitely boiled eggs.

Easter Sunday will be like most any Sunday for us, since we will have done the big family stuff the day before. My plan is some thin sliced rib-eyes for lunch and an italian chuck roast for dinner. I teach a special needs adult Sunday school class, and one of the gentlemen in my class doesn't get much attention at home and has asked for an Easter party during class. He asked for salami sandwiches and cupcakes, so I will have the cupcake temptation that morning, but I should be ok.

Higs - you mentioned dreams. I never had a single food dream on my whole60 last year. Wondering if the same will happen this time.

Best wishes!!

It's day 5.  No cravings, no headaches but a few digestive issues.  So far so good.  

I have to share about a temptation I avoided.  Yesterday and today I was in Williamsburg.  Va.  In walking around town there is a new Chocolate and Candy shop that has handmade chocolates, ice cream etc.  The smell coming from the shop was enticing but even harder to avoid was the employee with a tray of free samples standing outside! I just said No thanks and walked on. :D

One reason I like the Whole 30 is the "rules",  I'm a teacher, we get rules.  I always thought that other diets I have done had too much sugar, especially Weight Watchers with all its bars, desserts, drinks.

I do miss coffee but that is going away.  There was an article in the Whole 30 Newlsetter about The Five Stages of Food Grief.  I'll look up the link and post it.

Pat

Hi all, so many interesting and great posts!

Thanks pat for the five stages of good grief, funny and insightful... And well fine you for bypassing the free chocolate temptation!

I'm on official day 4 but feels like a few days later as I've never spent so much time preparing, eating! Shopping and planning meals in my life, so I can see how it could be a little overwhelming... If you see any little glimmers of light in any aspect of your goals that's the spur to keep it going!

I've still had a small fuzzy headache mid morning, no real cravings other than 'routine' markers like 'it's 11am, time for coffee' and 4pm tea break - am preserving with black tea.

I made a lovely soup with roasted tomatoes, red peppers, sweet potato, dried chilli, whole head of garlic & rosemary, then blended it with coconut milk instead of stock tonight. I haven't managed to find any stock without maize starch or lactose powder, and I'm now so surprised at how many things have sulphites... I had no idea? Back to the shop for me to try to find coconut cream without preservatives too, gosh.

Energy levels are rather unpredictable - but on the upside I have a less puffy face - actually I never knew I had a puffy face! But it turns out I must have done, just never spotted it till now it has gone down...

Going to find the podcast on running too, thanks higs that sounds like a good motivator for sidestepping the Easter eggs, simnel cake this coming weekend!

Hope your headaches cease for the holiday weekend whole30sue and best wishes for the next couple of days with your family

Thanks to all for the posts and support!  Breakfast was two hard boiled eggs, half an avocado and fruit (strawberries and grapes) which I would have thought was wierd before... but is really a good breakfast!  I also navigated another work dinner tonight successfully ... told them what I was eating and they gave me salmon with green beans and berries for dessert.  I'm actually a little surprised how easy this is going so far... no real cravings, trivial headache.  I'm anticipating a "hit the wall" day in the next few days!  I know it's early but I actually felt my clothes were already fitting differently... is that possible? 

Mary

I forgot to mention this one when someone asked about go to recipes. It is simple, but good. I used it often during my last whole60.

Cover a large baking sheet with parchment or foil for easy cleanup. Dump a bag of already cleaned and chopped carrots, chopped onions, and wedged potatoes on the pan and drizzle with olive oil and seasoning. Put bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs on top of the veggies. Brush some olive oil on each chicken thigh and sprinkle with seasoning. I used the season all that I mixed up the other day. I cooked it at 350 for about 50 minuted, I think. I used a food thermometer to check the chicken so I can't remember exactly how long it took.

Anyway, the fat from the crisping chicken skin melts all over the veggies and gives them a very good flavor. I made a bunch to have for leftovers. And I love a one pan meal!

It's day 5.  No cravings, no headaches but a few digestive issues.  So far so good.  

I have to share about a temptation I avoided.  Yesterday and today I was in Williamsburg.  Va.  In walking around town there is a new Chocolate and Candy shop that has handmade chocolates, ice cream etc.  The smell coming from the shop was enticing but even harder to avoid was the employee with a tray of free samples standing outside! I just said No thanks and walked on. :D

One reason I like the Whole 30 is the "rules",  I'm a teacher, we get rules.  I always thought that other diets I have done had too much sugar, especially Weight Watchers with all its bars, desserts, drinks.

I do miss coffee but that is going away.  There was an article in the Whole 30 Newlsetter about The Five Stages of Food Grief.  I'll look up the link and post it.

Pat

I agree so much on having rules! I was talking to a friend about this same thing the other day. I can't just do "everything in moderation," it's too easy for me to justify a one cup serving turning into a heaping cup and then two cups and then it spirals. One of my goals with the Whole30 is to help me recognize real hunger cues and listen to how much I need versus paying attention to the numbers. I like having the rules and I hope that by reframing how I think about food, someday I can be one of those folks who can do everything in moderation.

Easter plans??? Holidays in general.

My sister is hosting Easter. She is taking pity on me and roasting lamb in addition to ham (which is guaranteed to have sugar in it). There is always steamed asparagus. And shrimp cocktail. I may bring a dish of whole30 compliant cocktail sauce so I can enjoy the shrimp cocktail ;)

I'm definitely bringing deviled eggs and fruit salad. 

And giving thanks that I don't have a sweet tooth!

I'm glad everyone is doing well. Having rules does make it easier to know what I can't have. It makes it really easier to know what I can.

I have almost completed day 7. On some meals I have been light on veggies but I always eat at least a cup. My 2 go to meals are: 1. ground beef with a sweet potato, ghee and a garden salad 2. 3 eggs cooked with frozen chopped spinach, ghee and tomatoes. I drink coffee with coconut cream and cinnamon in the morning. During the day I drink lots of water and herbal tea.

Things I have noticed

When the alarm goes off, I get up without feeling groggy. It should be noted that I am not known as a morning person.

My knees don't hurt even after 14 hours of working, most of it spent in 15 pounds of x-ray lead.

I have more energy even if I do have a little less patients.

My bras fit better and my pants are getting longer.

The headaches are definitely hitting me now...on day 6. And cravings are killing me especially after going to a 5 year olds birthday party with pizza and cake, and getting ready for Easter (chocolate everywhere)! I almost gave in yesterday with the pizza. Pizza had always been my weakness and it smelt so good! Thankfully I have good support all around me who reminded me what I'm doing this for and motivated me to keep going. I think after I make it through this weekend I will feel unstoppable!

You can do it. Yesterday I went to the mall with my daughter. I enjoyed the smells in Godiva Chocolates. I owed her a bunny. The smells were enough to bring warm  comfort. That was enough. I did however, makes sure that she carried anything I wasn't will to eat. It the went into the box in her room.

Day 8 for me.  I ran out of all the food I prepped all week, so I'll be cooking a lot this weekend!  My running has felt super sluggish and slow still; I got 5 miles in today but it was a struggle to finish.  My legs felt super heavy and I had no pep whatsoever.

What I do know from past experience is the really good results are right around the corner.  I'm past the initial detox hump.  I'm coming up to the point where my mouth starts tasting weird and metallic, but where sleep starts being amazing and restful!

Today I'm headed into the yard for a lot of winter clean up (so many branches still down from a huge windstorm we had) - I'm trying to get the yard to a place where I can actually mow the lawn when we get our next dry spell.  I saw my first bumblebee of the season today!  Trying to decide if I have time/motivation this year to get a vegetable garden going.

A recipe idea:  I don't really like the orange-fleshed sweet potatoes because they are too sweet for me (although they are a fabulous addition to the chocolate chili recipe).  I like the white ones.  Chop them up, boil them with 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary from the garden.  Drain, remove sprigs (some leaves will stay and that's fine), mash with clarified butter, salt and pepper.  i could eat this all day long, but I try to just eat them the night before a long run or hard workout.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

I woke up with a headache this morning (day 6), but I have really noticed less joint stiffness/pain and less "fogginess".  I haven't had an overwhelming craving yet... which is really unexpected.  I have always loved a glass of wine or a beer in the evening, but I'm discovering kombucha does the trick as a substitute!  Happy Easter to those who celebrate!

Mary

Day 6 for me and I'm feeling pretty good.  I seem to have food everywhere.  Chopped peppers and onions, tomato sauce, cauliflower for pilaf, and ground meat.  I'm the only one in the family doing this so I have plenty of ground meat and I'm getting kind of tired of it.  I had zoodles with meat and sauce the other night, and ground meat and eggplant.  I need a new idea of what to do with it before it goes bad or I toss it.  For those ghee eaters, what is it like?  I haven't tried that yet.

Also, to continue my chocolate temptation- my daughter came back from a Spring Break trip and brought me a pound of FUDGE!!  I didn't feel a thing and just had her take it home to share with her roommates.  That tells me the Sugar Dragon is really in hibernation. :ph34r:

Enjoy your celebrations,

TeacherP,

Good job on the fudge. As for meals, I make the same dinner for my daughter as I make for myself. The difference is that she eats what she wants (or what I have in the house), when she wants. I will add a side of pasta for her if she doesn't like the veggies I cook.

A sip of sweetened iced tea...accidentally.

Darn it!

While we were at a restaurant this evening, my daughter told me her iced tea tasted funny and asked me take a sip of it. I looked at it and thought, it's just unsweetened tea with a lemon in it. Ok. I took a sip and SUGAR! One of my daughters drinks her tea with sweetener, one without. I have no confusion over who drinks which. So why did I think it was unsweetened!!!

Part of me is incredibly bummed that tomorrow will be day 1 for me instead of day 7, but part of me is proud that I didn't let it snowball. I ate my dinner of complaint ribs and roasted potatoes when we got home, and am going to bed. We were with a bunch of family, big table of 14 people, many of them got desserts, I could have gotten one since I have to start over tomorrow anyway. But I didn't. I thought about it, but stayed strong.

I'm seeing that there is bigger picture here of quieting the sugar dragon and developing a healthy relationship with food, so having to start over tomorrow...meh...just a step along the way.

Happy for everyone who is doing so well, especially those doing this for the first time! Hang in there!!

Oh, by the way, immediately after that sip of tea, I got a headache. Almost instantaneously. That was really strange.

Oh, Sue, what a bummer!  Please stick with our thread though - you will, right?  I am planning to go longer than 30 days so I'll still be here too.  Way to go not throwing in the towel last night.  It's awesome that you picked yourself up, dusted off, and are ready to start again.

I didn't cook yesterday so I had scrounged meals that were technically compliant, but not exactly to template.  Too much protein, not nearly enough veggies.  End result is I woke up famished today.  I have to plan ahead for next weekend when my niece will be visiting and we might go to the coast for the weekend.  I won't be able to spend 3-4 hours in the kitchen prepping for the following week, which always makes those weeks SO much tougher.  I don't cook on weeknights very often because my days are already so long.

Higs, thanks for the encouragement! And I do plan to stay with this thread. I'm like you, finding that day to do meal prep is challenging, but incredibly crucial. Maybe some meat in the crockpot might help. Doesn't need tending. I've got a roast going today that I can use this week and freeze.

LydiaJo, thanks to you too. My girls do know that I'm not eating sugar, but I think it slipped her mind too. I don't think she will forget after my reaction. I didn't blame her, but she knows that I am having to start over.

Okay, I lurked a bit on my day 1 (March 21), but I'm taking the plunge, because EASTER. This'll be lengthy... Although I am an insane sugar-holic, this past week was not as hard as I thought it would be. Hard, but not impossible. Yesterday (Day 6), though, was rough. My husband came home with candy to put in my 3-yr-old's Easter basket. He just so happened to only buy my favorite candy - Reese's cups in various forms and peanut MnM's. I coulda killed him (definitely my first KILL ALL THE THINGS moment!).  I found myself staring longingly as he put mini cups in each Easter egg, until I couldn't take it anymore. I also had waited too long to eat dinner prior to this, and even though I'd already eaten I was feeling a bit hangry. Then, hubs also mentioned that he'd invited his single Uncle for Easter dinner - "that's ok, right?" I love his Uncle, but again, KILL ALL THE THINGS. I had wanted a very low-key just-the-three-of-us type of Easter meal that I could make compliantly for everyone (rack of lamb, tons of roasted veggies, beet salad, skipping my all-time traditional favorite Easter side - my Grandma's au gratin potatoes, buhuhuhuhuh). But I'd had to grocery shop (again) to buy things I won't be able to eat (goat cheese for the salad, etc.) so the meal would be filling enough for said enormous uncle. It will definitely be a healthier meal than years past, though. I chose to go to bed earlier than normal to avoid more temptation. Then....FIRST FOOD DREAM - Whoa! I dreamt that I was making hot fudge sauce for Easter dinner (for the rest of the family), and without thinking, I licked the spoon. Immediate remorse! So much grief in the dream - I even thought, "this is a food dream, right? I'll wake up and still be compliant, right?" but my dream-brain convinced me that I'd truly eaten the forbidden food. When I did awake this morning, it was to immense relief that it WAS a dream, and I was still okay. Phew! That didn't stop me from having major cravings this morning as I hid the candy-filled eggs around the house. Hubby keeps spilling peanut MnM's on the floor as he smuggles them into his mouth, so now even our Corgis get to eat them. KILL ALL THE THINGS! (I could use some encouragement or at least someone to comiserate). Thanks in advance! And I promise to check back in.

SingingHeather, I can completely understand your challenge. I am the only person doing whole30 in my house. My husband isn't bringing tempting treats in the house, but he has done exactly that in the past when I was trying to avoid sugar. I'm not saying he is intentionally trying to sabotage your whole30, I'm no psychologist, but I think it can feel threatening to a partner when we are making changes. Best wishes to you as you get through this!! You can do it!

SingingHeather, I can completely understand your challenge. I am the only person doing whole30 in my house. My husband isn't bringing tempting treats in the house, but he has done exactly that in the past when I was trying to avoid sugar. I'm not saying he is intentionally trying to sabotage your whole30, I'm no psychologist, but I think it can feel threatening to a partner when we are making changes. Best wishes to you as you get through this!! You can do it!

Whole30 Sue, yes I do think there's some anxiety on my husband's part, even if he doesn't realize it. He surely wasn't trying to be mean on purpose. I did share with him how I felt about it, and I hope if I let him in on how vulnerable I feel right now, he'll be sensitive to that. Tonight went much better, and I survived Easter dinner! On to Week 2 - we can do this!

Chorizo Breakfast Casserole - I just made a breakfast casserole for the week. I must be getting more brave. I didn't have a recipe. I browned some chorizo, onion and bell pepper. Added some shredded potato and chopped jalapeños and a bunch of spinach. Cooked it down. Added ten eggs and baked it. Tastes pretty good. A little on the spicy side. I'm going to cut it into squares and freeze. I bought cilantro and avocado to go with it. Very happy with my creation! I need something quick in the mornings.

Next I am going to mix up a copycat Lawry's seasoned salt:

1/3 cup salt

1 1/2 teaspoons arrow root powder

1 1/2 tablespoons celery salt

1 tablespoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder

1 teaspoon turmeric

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients. Stir and press with a fork for couple minutes to release essences between spices. Store in sealed container.

I got it from The Spice Guru on food.com and changed it up to be whole30 compliant. My husband loves it. I put on steaks, burgers, shrimp, etc.

And I boiled a dozen eggs to have just in case.

Whole30 Sue, where did you find compliant chorizo? Everything I have looked at has something noncompliant in the ingredients like sugar or soy.

Archived