Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

Hi! I'm still here even though this is my first time speaking up! My husband and I are doing this together to which is helpful on so many levels. Commitment, food prep, motivation, etc. I haven't had too many of the really ugly detox symptoms since we ate pretty cleanly before (just some headaches, fatigue), but we were really sad on date when we had to go to Chipotle...again. It's been our go-to when we are out, which hasn't been much. I'm finding that while the food there is good, what we are making at home is DELICIOUS! I really am loving all the veggies, meats and glorious fats! I have never felt so free eating in all my life. My nutrition background comes from a place of logging every calorie in myfitnesspal, so this is really freeing. I don't know if I'm seeing any changes yet, but I;m anxious for tiger blood...soon right??!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey does anyone feel like they might be eating too much on this plan? My meals are absolutely enormous. And I feel like I need to eat a little more than I want to, just to make it to the next meal without snacking. Anyone share this?

Hey does anyone feel like they might be eating too much on this plan? My meals are absolutely enormous. And I feel like I need to eat a little more than I want to, just to make it to the next meal without snacking. Anyone share this?

That's because most of us didn't used to eat 3 cups of veggies.  For me, I'm used to eating in bits and pieces at work.

Still here - day 12!  I'm not that hungry during the day and, if I can't get to lunch at the right time, I can go all afternoon if I need to.  This is totally different than before!  No cravings at all right now.  I've noticed I'm drinking a lot of water (more than usual)... anyone else?  I need to get my exercise habit back in gear!

Mary

I've noticed I'm drinking a lot of water (more than usual)... anyone else?  I need to get my exercise habit back in gear!

In the last couple days I've noticed an uptick in water. I think snacking less actually gives me more time to drink it! And it feels better to drink it between meals on a relatively empty stomach. 

Is this your first Whole30 Mary? I'm going intentionally light on the exercise to give my body and mind space to adjust to the change, but I'm already looking forward to the next time and hopefully working out more. 

All to say -- it's hard to change so many habits at once!

I was feeling this in week 1 (I'm nursing so sometimes I have to fit in a fourth meal!). I wasn't used to eating this volume of food. That sensation has diminished. I've also become more and more comfortable going the full 4-5 hours between meals, which helps. 

I don't think I'm eating "too much," because my clothes are looser and I'm losing weight, but I do get what you're saying.

Wow hats off to you for doing this while nursing! That demands so much energy. You are one awesome mama. I wish I had been in this place when I was nursing one of my kids. I think it would probably be incredible for the little one!!

Happy weekend everyone!  My partner's niece is here visiting, and she loves to cook.  Last night for dinner she made an enormous batch of twice baked potatoes and spinach dip - everything drenched in cheese and sour cream.  It smelled divine but I stayed the course, ate my veggies/chicken thighs/avocado dinner, and then had intense food dreams last night where I went completely off the food rails, including smoking a cigarette!  Crazy.  I was relieved to wake up and realize all is well.

The niece also brought Easter baskets loaded with chocolate.  sigh...

We are having fantastic warm spring weather here so I am looking forward to a nice slow long run in the hills this morning.  I'm feeling like I have a good food groove going and I have a leg of lamb for the slow cooker.  Yum!

UGH! First big challenge- Dry Mouth.  I had been having some problems with this, maybe from the fruit but today it is AWFUL.  I had

a back spasm and had to take a muscle relaxer and that means dry mouth.  I looked online to see if there were any suggested remedies and of course

sugar free gum was the #1.

I've been drinking lots of ice water but need something with a bigger boost.

Any suggestions?

Biotene has a few products such as the mouth wash Whole30Sue mentioned and mouth sprays. I'm not sure how that would fit into the Whole 30 though as some contain xylitol and xantham gum which we are supposed to avoid...but then again you wouldn't really be swallowing it either. There are other brands of mouth sprays out there too, maybe with different ingredients?

I just sat down to catch up on the forum after about a 5 day hiatus! Fifthj I'm still here! I conquered my first meal out today. I went for a burger (without the bun) with apple slices and a pickle! After reading some posts I really started to freak about whether this meal was compliant or not :/ I had some guacamole and pico de gallo on the burger with lettuce and wasn't sure on the pickle, since I couldn't see where it was made. I'm hoping there was no secret sugar in there as I reallyyyy don't want to have to start over. Things have been going well, but I'm really happy that I'm almost halfway through! I've never been this committed to a program before, and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it through a lot of temptations. Anyone have an opinion on that meal I had today?

I've also been feeling super sluggish. The first week I was actually feeling super energetic, then that all went south. I slept almost 11 hours last night, it was great sleep, but I don't want to be sleeping my day away like that. I'm trying to get back on a better workout schedule as well, but I've felt I can barely handle my usual workout routine. I'm hoping I start to see some improvements this week!

I'm going to be doing a bunch of meal prep tomorrow so I'm loving all the new recipe ideas coming out! I made a breakfast casserole last week based off of Whole30Sue's own recipe which was super helpful for my groggy mornings. I'm planning on making some sweet potatoe soup (sweet potatoes are my new staple) and another yummy breakfast casserole. I'm excited to do some searching on all the whole30 compliant recipe sites. Also I made THE BEST applesauce this week! I found the recipe on Pinterest and it was only in the house for about 3 days. I ate it as a little dessert for some meals and also for cooking. My boyfriend says it is better than store bought applesauce :) Here's the super simple recipe for anyone interested: (I just used all Braeburn apples because they were on sale)

• 2 Honey Crisp apples
  • 5 Golden Delicious apples
  • 7 Gala apples
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from about 1 large lemon)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Just cut the apples into quarters leaving the core out (either with or without the peels on) and add to a slow cooker mixing all ingredients, and cook on low for 4 hours. Once done, blend with a handheld blender and serve!

Once I can have ice cream again I am definitely going to be serving it on top of that!

I hope everyone has a great weekend! Keep up the great work!

In the last couple days I've noticed an uptick in water. I think snacking less actually gives me more time to drink it! And it feels better to drink it between meals on a relatively empty stomach. 

Is this your first Whole30 Mary? I'm going intentionally light on the exercise to give my body and mind space to adjust to the change, but I'm already looking forward to the next time and hopefully working out more. 

All to say -- it's hard to change so many habits at once!

It is my first one!  Thanks for the advice (and for making me feel better!).  I'll wait for the "tiger blood" to really get back into the gym :-)

Mary

Hello All,

Whoo-oo today is Day 14 which means tomorrow is 15 and 50%.  I think the food cravings  I have are more from association.  Tonight I made a delicious grilled steak dinner with grilled mushrooms, onions and asparagus and mashed cauliflower.  YUMMY.  In the past that dinner would be accompanied by 2 glasses of red wine.  I gave it a thought at the beginning but did not think about it again during dinner.

I need to add exercise.  I had a cortisone shot in my knee last week but there's no reason to not get back on the treadmill.  I have noticed that I am losing weight in my stomach, which is nice.

Higs- you showed a lot of will power with all that cooking and Easter bunny visit.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend all.  Food prep day tomorrow.

Yesterday turned into a work day for me. I was ready and grabbed breakfast on the way out the door (hamburger and veggies sticks and avocado). I just had to grab my packed up lunch and I was good. Today is another work day but I have 2 hours before I have to leave. Cooked breakfast and I have M2 packed just in case it turns into a long day.

MAJOR meal prep day around here: cauliflower mash, shredded beef in crockpot, zoodles, egg frittata, chicken and chicken salad, roasted broccoli, sweet potato hash with spinach and kale mixed in. All awesome, HOWEVER, major fail on my hard boiled eggs two tries in a row! Undercooked!? That's a lot of wasted eggs (24 to be exact...I;m dying a little bit inside). We boil the water, add the eggs, they simmer/sit for 13 min on the dot, then transfer to an ice bath for 5 minutes. They are large eggs. And the firs time we followed this exact protocol they were perfection. Then...two fails in a row? We have chickens but I know not to use fresh eggs, so these are pasture raised from the grocery store. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Other than letting them go a minute or two longer? Am I missing a major step here? Thanks friends! Hope everyone is doing well!

MAJOR meal prep day around here: cauliflower mash, shredded beef in crockpot, zoodles, egg frittata, chicken and chicken salad, roasted broccoli, sweet potato hash with spinach and kale mixed in. All awesome, HOWEVER, major fail on my hard boiled eggs two tries in a row! Undercooked!? That's a lot of wasted eggs (24 to be exact...I;m dying a little bit inside). We boil the water, add the eggs, they simmer/sit for 13 min on the dot, then transfer to an ice bath for 5 minutes. They are large eggs. And the firs time we followed this exact protocol they were perfection. Then...two fails in a row? We have chickens but I know not to use fresh eggs, so these are pasture raised from the grocery store. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Other than letting them go a minute or two longer? Am I missing a major step here? Thanks friends! Hope everyone is doing well!

Do you have a pressure cooker?  If so - 6 minutes on the low ring = perfection every time!!!

Mary

Hard Boiled Eggs

I put my eggs in the pot with the tap water. When it starts to boil, I turn the temp to medium and set the timer for 15 min. At 15 min I turn the burner off. When the water cools (or I think about it) I put them in cold water. Lazy cook and it works for me.

We have chickens too, and I have found fresh eggs peel good for me if I steam them in a steamer basket like you would veggies....takes longer, maybe 20 min, but makes a huge difference in peeling. Google'steamed eggs' for more info.

As for them being undercooked, that baffles me: sounds like you did everything right!?

Good morning. 

I'm off to work after M1 of chicken, spinach with ghee and a few tomatoes. Lunch is in my backpack. Now to motivate myself out the door. I hope everyone has put together a good day for themselves.

Maybe too many eggs in the batch?  I do mine for 11 minutes but usually just six or eight at a time, and my eggs are small (my current hens are first year layers).  Add room temp water to the eggs, bring to a boil, take off the heat when boiling starts, sit for 11 minutes, move to ice bath.

I put mine in the water cold. Turn on burner. Once it is boiling, I let them boil for one minute. Then I turn off the burner, put a lid on the pot and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.

I may have to try Lizzer's idea of steaming them. We have free range chickens, and if I use their fresh eggs they are almost impossible to peel so I keep some set aside to age.

And my favorite way to eat them lately is to dip them in some homemade mayo that I have mixed with smoked paprika. Yum!

Archived