Starting March 21. Anyone else?

getfitangela

And cravings are killing me especially after going to a 5 year olds birthday party with pizza and cake

KassieKay nice job staying on plan at the kids party. Not easy to resist! Especially with the (sometimes) stress of the kids going crazy. I have two next weekend, and am planning to eat before. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catching up on this thread this morning.

Whole30Sue, glad to read you're sticking with us! Maybe you'll inspire some of us to go beyond 30 :)

SingingHeather, it isn't easy doing it without your spouse is it? Although, I remind myself it could be potentially harder to do it with him, as his Sugar Dragon is mighty.

There was the most beautiful dessert table at Easter -- five or six homemade pies and cakes, just gorgeous, and special, the kind of treats that would be worth it any other time (I struggle passing up the homemade stuff, junk isn't as hard for me). My husband asked what he could get me! Aaargh. Fruit salad. Fruit salad!! He has also offered me a glass of wine twice. Sigh. But, I'm relieved that I haven't felt tempted. Just a wee bit annoyed. ;)

Day 8 for me, here's where I am:

- A little behind on food prep after Easter (I tend to prep on Sunday, even when not on Whole30). Whoops! Need to get ahead tonight. 

- Joints feel loosey-goosey. Anyone else have this? It's not bad or painful, just a little odd. I feel like Gumby!

- SLEEPY. Could barely get out of bed this morning. But that could have been because of kids waking me up at 10 (yes, I was asleep at 9:30), 3 and 4.

- Cravings still limited to stevia in my coffee, which obviously I'm not having. This craving is a small but mighty one and it's intensified lately. Hope to be beyond it soon. 

- Very tempted to weigh but I'm also a rule follower, so those instincts are in direct competition. I want to do this right.

5 days 'til tiger blood, right? Maybe, I know. No guarantees.

Thanks to all for the posts and support!  Breakfast was two hard boiled eggs, half an avocado and fruit (strawberries and grapes) which I would have thought was wierd before... but is really a good breakfast!  I also navigated another work dinner tonight successfully ... told them what I was eating and they gave me salmon with green beans and berries for dessert.  I'm actually a little surprised how easy this is going so far... no real cravings, trivial headache.  I'm anticipating a "hit the wall" day in the next few days!  I know it's early but I actually felt my clothes were already fitting differently... is that possible? 

Mary

Mary, sorry for me jumping in here but your breakfast doesn't meet the meal template. You don't have enough protein in there (if eggs are your protein you should have as many as you can hold in your hand which is usually 4 to 5 for an adult) and you are missing veggies entirely. Please look up the meal template available on this website. Following the meal template will get you feeling satiated until the next meal rolls around.

Day 8 for me.  I ran out of all the food I prepped all week, so I'll be cooking a lot this weekend!  My running has felt super sluggish and slow still; I got 5 miles in today but it was a struggle to finish.  My legs felt super heavy and I had no pep whatsoever.

What I do know from past experience is the really good results are right around the corner.  I'm past the initial detox hump.  I'm coming up to the point where my mouth starts tasting weird and metallic, but where sleep starts being amazing and restful!

Today I'm headed into the yard for a lot of winter clean up (so many branches still down from a huge windstorm we had) - I'm trying to get the yard to a place where I can actually mow the lawn when we get our next dry spell.  I saw my first bumblebee of the season today!  Trying to decide if I have time/motivation this year to get a vegetable garden going.

A recipe idea:  I don't really like the orange-fleshed sweet potatoes because they are too sweet for me (although they are a fabulous addition to the chocolate chili recipe).  I like the white ones.  Chop them up, boil them with 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary from the garden.  Drain, remove sprigs (some leaves will stay and that's fine), mash with clarified butter, salt and pepper.  i could eat this all day long, but I try to just eat them the night before a long run or hard workout.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

Be careful with those mashed potatoes. The whole30 program recommends that you stay away from any compliant foods that fall into the category of "foods without brakes" for you and it sounds like that's just what you are describing.

Day 6 for me and I'm feeling pretty good.  I seem to have food everywhere.  Chopped peppers and onions, tomato sauce, cauliflower for pilaf, and ground meat.  I'm the only one in the family doing this so I have plenty of ground meat and I'm getting kind of tired of it.  I had zoodles with meat and sauce the other night, and ground meat and eggplant.  I need a new idea of what to do with it before it goes bad or I toss it.  For those ghee eaters, what is it like?  I haven't tried that yet.

Also, to continue my chocolate temptation- my daughter came back from a Spring Break trip and brought me a pound of FUDGE!!  I didn't feel a thing and just had her take it home to share with her roommates.  That tells me the Sugar Dragon is really in hibernation. :ph34r:

Enjoy your celebrations,

You can try a slow cooker meatloaf with that ground meat. I made that last week and then would just cut of slices for breakfast that go in the pan for a couple of minutes on each side before being topped with a fried egg.

Easter in our house was just the 3 of us (me, hubs and mom). Hubs grilled a rib eye with some Whole30 bbq sauce we made. I made Pioneer Woman Crash Potatoes (totally compliant) and we had a big salad. Super yummy meal and no temptations! Next Sunday is our monthly church potluck - now that will be temptation! My mom and hubby love to go so I don't want to stay home because they won't go if I don't. So I am going to bring a compliant dish and side and make myself a plate before contributing it to the table. Dessert will be hardest. The ladies in my church make awesome desserts!

We ate at midday so last night I made some Whole30 chili (which tastes more like sloppy joes) to eat over baked potatoes or sweet potatoes. It made 3 big servings. This morning I put a pork shoulder in the slow cooker with bacon (found the recipe on Pinterest). I will pull it when I get home and eat it on some plantain tostadas I made last night. Haven't tried them yet so I hope they are good, lol! Then some steamed veggies and salad probably. Mom and hubs will also have rolls with theirs.

So I have 3 servings of chili, still have 3 servings of meatballs, will have leftover pulled pork I'm sure (6lb shoulder). I should be good for the week. :)

I have been sleeping like a log and bouncing right out of bed with the alarm. It is awesome and SO not like me. Also my clothes are much looser! :) I have been in a Biggest Loser weight contest at work since January that requires weekly weigh ins. So I told them to just record my weight and not tell me (I didn't peek!).

I did a 3 mile run on Saturday but don't know how Whole30 affected that as hubby decided to run it with me and his pace is about 1 minute slower than mine. But we both did it and felt great! He is going to run a 5k with me on April 9th. He is not a runner so this is big. :)

Going to go and eat my tuna salad now. :) Good luck this week to everyone!

hi there - my husband and I started Sunday March 20th, however, just realized that a few pieces of bacon we had eaten had been processed with sugar! Just because it says no sugar...does not mean there is no sugar!!! We realized this after reading the label so back to day 1 today! We plan on staying with the program thru 60 days so it's ok. Just more lessons learned! We are enjoying the taste of the food and the variety in learning to cook optional foods. Cauliflower has become our staple...rice, potatoes and sauces...who knew!

I quit caffeine the day we started, my husband just quit yesterday. Headaches and fog for him right now, but this too shall pass:-)

Feeling good today and looking forward to the many days, weeks and months to come with a healthier outlook on food and life itself!

Not much "template" yesterday.  Don't want to risk TMI, but I was on clear liquids for a procedure (routine).  Back on it today and rocking day 8!   bhenningsen

Thanks for the coaching!!  I will increase protein for sure!  I've been a fairly clean eating pescetarian for a while (and not a lot of eggs) so breakfast is my tough meal.  I'm eating meat again (sustainable and local) for the Whole30, though

fifthj

I feel a real difference in my joints, too.  I don't know how that could be... but they are less stiff!

Mary

Whole30 Sue, where did you find compliant chorizo? Everything I have looked at has something noncompliant in the ingredients like sugar or soy.

I live in a small town in south central Texas, my HEB store carries a whole bunch of chorizo options. The one I like that is complaint is a brand called San Luis. Good luck!

Be careful with those mashed potatoes. The whole30 program recommends that you stay away from any compliant foods that fall into the category of "foods without brakes" for you and it sounds like that's just what you are describing.

Hi bhennigsen,

I see where you're going, but fear not!  I prefer to boil sweet potatoes rather than roast or bake them because boiling lowers their glycemic index - by as much as half!  Also, I'm a runner, and need the higher starch foods like sweet potatoes now and then to fuel my workouts.  Also, when I say I could eat them all day, it's because they taste good!  I wouldn't actually eat them all day.  :-)  Thanks for your input though.

Higs

I did a 3 mile run on Saturday but don't know how Whole30 affected that as hubby decided to run it with me and his pace is about 1 minute slower than mine. But we both did it and felt great! He is going to run a 5k with me on April 9th. He is not a runner so this is big. :)

That is awesome!!  Way to go on your 3 mile run!  How cool your husband joined you, too.

You can try a slow cooker meatloaf with that ground meat. I made that last week and then would just cut of slices for breakfast that go in the pan for a couple of minutes on each side before being topped with a fried egg.

Thank you for the reminder!! I completely forgot how good a slice of meatloaf is with a fried egg on top. I made that on my last whole60.

Hi All-

DAY 10 = 33.3% of the way, yea!  I plan on going for a while as things are getting easier.  I even found a way to have a cup of morning coffee- I add some almond milk.  I think I am getting used to it.  I don't miss sugar much, just sometimes I think "Oh, a glass of red wine would be good with this."  I thought that about Easter dinner, I grilled a leg of lamb, made the cauliflower pilaf from Well-Fed, and roasted asparagus. 

I don't know if I could do this if my children were still small so CHEERS to all those enduring egg hunts, birthday parties, treats in the cupboard.  I am inspired by your commitment. :D

On to day 11.

Pat

Congrats on Day 10 Pat! One third down, two to go! 

Day 9 in the bag for me. 

I survived my first meal out: cobb salad, hold the bacon & cheese, oil & vinegar for dressing. Had to have a mini meal later to make it to dinner because the salad wasn't filling enough, but was glad to stay on plan. 

UGH! First big challenge- Dry Mouth.  I had been having some problems with this, maybe from the fruit but today it is AWFUL.  I had

a back spasm and had to take a muscle relaxer and that means dry mouth.  I looked online to see if there were any suggested remedies and of course

sugar free gum was the #1.

I've been drinking lots of ice water but need something with a bigger boost.

Any suggestions?

How's everyone feeling?  Day 12 over here.  Running is feeling less sluggish, so I'm hoping the 7 mile long run I have planned for Saturday won't feel too tough.  I had my first night of rock solid deep, deep sleep two nights ago - then last night, not so much.

Hope all is well with everyone in Whole30 land!

I'm still here. Day 13. The last 2 days were crazy. Tuesday I worked 13 hours. I planned for it. It was a good day. Then yesterday I was out of work after lunch. It was beautiful out so I went for a walk after I got home. Heard that my daughter's school was on lock down. I started calling around to see if anyone knew what was going on. Then I got a text from her that they were on secure campus and could I come get her. With all the parents it took half an hour to get her. Dinner was late and too close to bed time. This morning I feel groggy, but after a good breakfast I'm feeling better.

I apologize for turning this into a vent..... :mellow: Stress reduction.

Would love to know who is still with us . . .  it's getting a little quiet here for my taste!  ;)

Day 11 here, trucking along. Have managed to resist measuring and weighing. I did notice a dress that was way too snug fits better now - still a ways to go before I'd wear it out of the house, but progress is being made.

higs, that rock solid night of sleep sounds so freaking good. I think I'd be getting it too, if it weren't for the kiddos. :: Briefly considers packing them off . . . nah, I'll keep them! :: I am trying to be in bed by 9 and asleep by 9:30, which makes it less painful when they wake me up at 3. And 4. And 5:30. Ooof.

Kuddos to all you runners out there. That is something I can't imagine doing on Whole30. I'm keeping up with two strength workouts and one or two yoga sessions/week, that's about all I can fit in.

Anyone have a good menu planning site or app? I'm using Gathered Table this month, but not sure I'll stick with it as there's a monthly fee. Free would be better!  :) We're cooking a new dish everyday, for variety and to figure out which ones we want to repeat post-Whole30. 

fifthj,

I knew the kids were safe. One of my neighbors is a Sheriffs deputy. He sent word back to me that it was mostly a non event. It was a situation where a kid overheard something and reported it. Of course then there were rumors which had to be followed up as well. I'm glad to know that they jumped on it. Not happy that they didn't get the kids bottled water.

I started on 3/20 and didn't think I would have any sugar withdraw problems since I rarely drink soda and I only put milk in my coffee.  Boy was I wrong.  I didn't have time to do much prep this week so I had to run to a salad bar for lunch today. It was in the middle of a grocery store and all I wanted was the cookies, the M&M's, the gummy bears....etc, which is weird because I NEVER crave that stuff normally.  Since I am on day 12, I am guessing sugar withdraw is the only explanation. I am a carb addict - bread, noodles, etc, so that is where i would get my sugar from. I am DYING for a bagel & cream cheese....

Overall things are going great for me with this program. I am fortunate to live in an area where if I don't prepare 100% I can still easily find convenient, compliant options or figure out something super quick on the fly.  I have been avoiding most any food that comes in a package, but have to go to a potluck tomorrow night where I think I will bring compliant hot dogs and vegetables for me to eat. 

Last night was my worst temptation night. I was out to eat with my family and a burger and fries were calling my name.  ended up having a hamburger no bun, no sauces and a side salad with vinegar & oil so all was good, but my niece didn't really eat her fries, I had to literally sit on my hands to prevent myself from eating them. 

Ok, back to lurking. I just needed to vent about the candy craving I am having! 

TeacherP - there is a mouthwash for dry mouth called Biotene. I don't know if it works or what is in it. Maybe worth a look?

Higs - Yea! Glad to hear your runs are getting less sluggish. Sleep is probably my biggest issue. Hoping it will get better some day.

LydiaJo - That's great that you didn't let a stressful crazy day detour your eating. I love those same websites.

Fifthj - I'm still here! My days have been crowded lately, but I'm staying on plan. Losing count of what day I'm on. I've never used a menu planning site or app. I can only plan a few days in advance, so pencil and paper is it. Let me know if you find something good.

SFZag - Sorry to hear you are having such strong cravings. I would recommend that you look at the meal template. When I have enough protein, good fat, and veggies at each meal it greatly reduces my cravings. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Everyone - I made the Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup from the Well Fed 2 cookbook last weekend. I had to make it again this week. I have a bowl everyday with breakfast now. It is AMAZING! :) And I'm not a fan of soup. AMAZING!

Archived