Re-introducing on EASTER HELP

AshaRocks

• Moderators

Easter will be my first day off whole30. Suggestions?

Easter is a day like any other day -- you can plan to have Whole30 compliant foods, or you can plan to reintroduce whatever you want to reintroduce first. What specifically are you asking? Are there family traditions you're looking for ways to participate in/avoid/change? Are you asking us if it's okay to eat all the chocolate?

What is your plan for reintroductions? (If you're not sure what that entails, if you look in my signature below this post, you'll find links to both the regular reintroduction and a slow roll reintroduction plan.)

Easter will be my first day of reintroductions too.  My in-laws are getting a Honeybaked Ham and I've checked into the ingredients of the type they're buying.  The only non-compliant ingredients are sugar and corn (not sure in what form, but it's listed as an ingredient).  So sugar and corn will be my first reintro foods.  I'm bringing bacon-wrapped sweet potato bites (sub compliant ingredient in place of butter), roasted vegetables, a marinated vegetable salad (omit the cheese), and fresh mixed berries w/coconut cream (for a sugar-free dessert).  Although I'm bringing enough for everyone, the whole family is really big on the traditional dishes and I'm anticipating bringing home plenty of my dishes as leftovers.  I'll skip the traditional sides this year and by doing it this way, the only foods reintroduced will be the sugar and corn, and for me, that feels like a good place to start. 

The recipes I'm using are all ones I came across on Pinterest.  Here are the links to their websites:

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy-recipes/recipe-items/bacon-wrapped-sweet-potato-bites/

http://simplynourishedrecipes.com/garlic-roasted-vegetables/

http://www.thekitchensnob.com/vegetable-salad/

Easter will be my first day of reintroductions too.  My in-laws are getting a Honeybaked Ham and I've checked into the ingredients of the type they're buying.  The only non-compliant ingredients are sugar and corn (not sure in what form, but it's listed as an ingredient).  So sugar and corn will be my first reintro foods.  I'm bringing bacon-wrapped sweet potato bites (sub compliant ingredient in place of butter), roasted vegetables, a marinated vegetable salad (omit the cheese), and fresh mixed berries w/coconut cream (for a sugar-free dessert).  Although I'm bringing enough for everyone, the whole family is really big on the traditional dishes and I'm anticipating bringing home plenty of my dishes as leftovers.  I'll skip the traditional sides this year and by doing it this way, the only foods reintroduced will be the sugar and corn, and for me, that feels like a good place to start. 

The recipes I'm using are all ones I came across on Pinterest.  Here are the links to their websites:

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/easy-recipes/recipe-items/bacon-wrapped-sweet-potato-bites/

http://simplynourishedrecipes.com/garlic-roasted-vegetables/

http://www.thekitchensnob.com/vegetable-salad/

I'm going to be on Day 23 on Easter and am aware that my aunt is buying a 2 honeybaked ham brand hams. She said one is actually the honeybaked and the other is regular. Do you know if the "regular" one has sugar also? I'm assuming yes because it's ham, after all. I couldn't find it when I tried to look on their website.  Thanks!

• Moderators

I'm going to be on Day 23 on Easter and am aware that my aunt is buying a 2 honeybaked ham brand hams. She said one is actually the honeybaked and the other is regular. Do you know if the "regular" one has sugar also? I'm assuming yes because it's ham, after all. I couldn't find it when I tried to look on their website.  Thanks!

It would be impossible for us to know if her 'regular' ham was compliant... you need to look at the ingredients on the package but bear in mind, if you can't get to the package, compliant ham is about as common as a five legged dog... so if you can't check, best bet is to skip it.

It would be impossible for us to know if her 'regular' ham was compliant... you need to look at the ingredients on the package but bear in mind, if you can't get to the package, compliant ham is about as common as a five legged dog... so if you can't check, best bet is to skip it.

Sure, I understand. But Jen C said that she had checked into the ingredients of "the type they're buying" so I thought she might have found a resource from the people at Honeybaked Ham that I could look at.

• Moderators

Sure, I understand. But Jen C said that she had checked into the ingredients of "the type they're buying" so I thought she might have found a resource from the people at Honeybaked Ham that I could look at.

I totally understand but because of the way manufacturers can change their 'recipe' from region to region, you can only rely on the package ingredients of the food you're going to consume. Where Jen C may be able to find something compliant, the very same product in your region may be non-compliant so while resources are great, we still need to rely on the packaging of the actual food we're going to eat in our own homes/restaurants. It's the only way to be sure.

This is the reference where I checked:

http://www.nutritionix.com/honeybaked-ham/menu/special-diets/premium

My kids have multiple anaphylactic food allergies and I understand very well that ingredients can change and may not be the same from one region to the next.  Over the years, Honeybaked has been very reliable and held up to the info from the page above (we recheck the ingredients every time we have their ham).  That being said, I'll check the specific label once it's in the house.  That's the normal practice we always do to ensure food safety for our kids and while W30 is a choice and non-compliant ingredients won't kill me, it will be easy to double-check the label simply so I know for sure what I'm eating. 

Good luck with yours and I hope the reference will help you find the information you need. 

• Moderators

That's such a cool way for a company to let you filter their ingredients.

Unfortunately, unless I"m doing it wrong all their retail meats (except the bacons) contain corn, dairy or gluten and every one of them including the bacon contains sugar in at least one variety and some list sugar varieties multiple times on the label.

Archived