sore throat nausea again after exercising

ok so im on day 5 of my second whole 30. there was only 6 days between my whole 30s and stayed mostly on plan with the exception of sushi and some gluten free alcohol. during my first whole 30 on about day 12 I got sick with a sore throat, body aches, cold, cough and nausea. I had just started going to the gym a couple days before and was solely doing fast pace walking. my history with the gym was that every time I tried to work out I would always end up getting sick with something. my thought was that it was because my immune system was so bad that every time I stressed it with exercise I would be vulnerable to catch an illness. well im  now on day 5 on my second whole 30 and I woke up today with a nasty sore throat and my stomach is bothering me. I did try taking a zinc tablet thinking it would help with the sore throat but that may be why my stomach hurts (but I took it after breakfast so im not sure if its the zinc that's causing the stomach upset) I also have been exercising now on day 1,2,3 and didn't work out last night cause I had a long work day. Not sure what to do because I would like to be able to work out because you hear so many health benefits but I hate being sick all the time... any suggestions

Okay - your theory does sound like it has some legs to it - meaning it does logically make sense.

But it is also worth noting that is not unusual for a person to get sick in the beginning as the body shifting because you are feeding it differently.

I highly suggest that you make some bone broth and start drinking it regularly.  I am not guaranteeing that it will help your immune system but it should help and it's great on colds.  So is a drink made out of grated fresh ginger, lemon and a dash of cayenne.

I would drop going to the gym until you are feeling better.  This is clearly stressing you out.

How often do you go to the gym?  

I have started up many times trying to go to the gym but always got sick after the first week of going 3-5 times or even after going only twice. so it was never a regular thing for me cause I would always give up on going back to the gym for fear of getting sick again. a lil history on me: about two years ago I was constantly getting sick, like at least 5 times a year and would be sick for over a week. I had bad allergies too....I was going EVERY WEEK to an ent getting allergy shots and taking allergy meds everyday and would almost constantly have a sore throat and sneezing etc. I started going to the chiropractor just over a year ago and now I ve only gotten sick maybe 2 times in a year and don't need allergy shots anymore! so I know my immune system is horribly messed up but it is getting better. so im hoping that after my second whole 30 that my allergies and immune system has improved where I can start going to the gym regularly! I was hoping maybe someone like me has had a similar problem and how they were able to "overcome" it! I think I will make some bone broth, just wished it didn't take so much effort lol im so busy right now cooking and cleaning for both me and my husband on this whole 30!

• Moderators

I think I will make some bone broth, just wished it didn't take so much effort

Do you have a crockpot or slow cooker? You can put the bones, vegetables/seasonings, and enough water to cover them in the crockpot and just let it cook on low for at least 24 hours. Then, you could just leave it going, drinking as much as you want, topping off the water in the crockpot as needed to keep the bones covered. This recipe is for chicken, but it works basically the same way with beef or other bones.

Do you have a crockpot or slow cooker? You can put the bones, vegetables/seasonings, and enough water to cover them in the crockpot and just let it cook on low for at least 24 hours. Then, you could just leave it going, drinking as much as you want, topping off the water in the crockpot as needed to keep the bones covered. This recipe is for chicken, but it works basically the same way with beef or other bones.

thanks for the article and recipe! ive made the recipe from the book but didn't know that u could "refill" it as you go! thanks! I will use this recipe! would this recipe freeze well? about how long would it keep frozen?

• Moderators

thanks for the article and recipe! ive made the recipe from the book but didn't know that u could "refill" it as you go! thanks! I will use this recipe! would this recipe freeze well? about how long would it keep frozen?

In general, broth freezes well and should last for several months frozen.

Jenny: I went to the gym once in February. I wasn't even doing Whole30 yet. (I haven't been there for a long time). I started getting sick shortly thereafter, and I mean REALLY flu-like sick so I haven't been back. That's the first time I've been sick in several years. Connection? I think so. Of course Feb. is a nasty time of year with all the stuff floating around. But some years back I read that heavy exercise, (and also sex) diminishes your immune system for a short time. Just long enough, apparently, for whatever nice bugs happened to be floating around the gym to do their dirty work.  Oh, well. I'm trying to get up the guts to return. I've already had the nasty version of the flu, so I should be good to go, right? :-)

Archived