I know that you have to eat a REALLY BIG salad for it to be enough veggies at one meal. But I was wondering if a side salad in addition to a meal (example: bunless burger wrapped in lettuce topped with tomato, onion and avocado + sweet potato on the side) is a good way to get some extra veggies in or if it just becomes a wash out because there's not enough of it? Would I be better off adding roasted veggies to the side and skipping the salad? 

Also maybe it's worth mentioning that I actually really love salad (especially in the summer!) so I'm not trying to force a salad just to get veggies in. 

• Moderators

You would be better off having either both roasted veggies and the side salad or yes, skipping the side salad in favor of something heartier.

Summer is great for salads because it's so warm and making an ENORMOUS salad seems quite reasonable.  We still recommend you add some heartier veggies to a salad (tomato, cukes, peppers etc...) but for 'salad' to count toward your veggie intake, a small side salad wouldn't be very much.

You would be better off having either both roasted veggies and the side salad or yes, skipping the side salad in favor of something heartier.

Summer is great for salads because it's so warm and making an ENORMOUS salad seems quite reasonable.  We still recommend you add some heartier veggies to a salad (tomato, cukes, peppers etc...) but for 'salad' to count toward your veggie intake, a small side salad wouldn't be very much.

That's what I thought! I'll stick to more substantial veggies for sides and BIG salads for actual meals :) 

Archived