Pumpkin Apples

(m)eat to live

I made this on the fly at dinner the other night because we needed something carby to go with dinner and I was tired of sweet potatoes. It was So. Darn. Good. that I think it will become a new staple at my house. Sadly, I googled later and discovered that I am apparently not the first to come up with this combo. Sigh. Thought I was a genius there for a minute. But I wanted to share here anyway. Here's what I did:

Take 6 gala apples, peel, core, slice kinda thin. Use one of those rotating slicers if you've got it. If you don't peel, you might want to score the peel every 1/2" or so. That way, it will break up easier for you later.

Throw the apples in a large saucepan with a little water (maybe 1/2 cup), pumpkin pie spice blend (1 Tbsp or so) and some ghee (1-2 Tbsp). Bring it up to a low boil. Reduce heat til it's juuuuust barely simmering. Cover and cook down til the apples get soft enough to cut with a spoon, maybe 15-20 minutes.

Then add in a can of pumpkin puree. Stir to mix, breaking up the apples into bite-sized bits as you stir. Cook a few more minutes to warm the pumpkin and absorb some of the liquid.

Eat. Totally delicious.

Thanks so much for this recipe. I got tired of eggs and ate leftover turkey meatballs and spaghetti squash for breakfast this morning. It made me sick all day. Not sure if it was the meat or the coconut cream. But I am definitely going to try this as a sometimes alternative to eggs.( a little high on the carbs for me).

Archived